Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2022, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Effectively, you are asking how you can violate the Contract of Carriage using "hidden city" ticketing. It can be done, but you run the risk of the airline charging you full price for your flight, or if you make a habit of it, being banned from flying. It's a small chance, but a non-zero risk.

Beyond that, from your description, your most significant risk is that they could potentially cancel either one or both tickets because of the overlapped itineraries. Airlines are getting very good at identifying and cancelling unflyable/speculative bookings.
Old May 8, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan
There is no overlap between the two itineraries. They are booked on separate PNRs and the dates don't overlap. The AUH-ICN-KIX departs AUH 3 days after i land in AUH from the LHR-AUH-MCT itinerary. The only "overlap" is that they were both booked on points with aeroplan and include flights with Etihad airways. Is the term hidden city ticketing still applicable in this case when its 100% award flights? Would it be more appropriate to just call this a married segment issue? Regardless, you agree that my only option would be to just ditch the AUH-MCT leg? Ive never not flown a segment and this will most likely be a one off. I will do it if there is absolutely no way around this issue. Thanks for your input, appreciate it!
Old May 8, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by RenTraveller
There is no overlap between the two itineraries. They are booked on separate PNRs and the dates don't overlap. The AUH-ICN-KIX departs AUH 3 days after i land in AUH from the LHR-AUH-MCT itinerary. The only "overlap" is that they were both booked on points with aeroplan and include flights with Etihad airways. Is the term hidden city ticketing still applicable in this case when its 100% award flights? Would it be more appropriate to just call this a married segment issue? Regardless, you agree that my only option would be to just ditch the AUH-MCT leg? Ive never not flown a segment and this will most likely be a one off. I will do it if there is absolutely no way around this issue. Thanks for your input, appreciate it!
Very unlikely to have any negative consequences. Just don’t have any checked luggage and make sure you meet the COVID and immigration requirements for both destinations. I wouldn’t draw more attention to yourself by using the lounge on arrival in AUH, but you probably won’t have issues even if you do. Trying to short check bags would be more of a red flag before you start the trip.

I know it is not a lot of time, but MCT is very much worth a visit if you want to stick to the routing. Way more authentic than AUH.
Old May 8, 2022, 10:15 am
zam

Changes after start

Can changes be made to an aeroplan itinerary once travel has commenced? Can legs be added to the end of the itinerary up until the time of the departure of the "current" last leg?
thanks
Old May 8, 2022, 9:35 pm

So I have an existing award booking from MLE-AUH-IST-YVR in EY J through IST then TK J to YVR.
Since then, the MLE-AUH segment no longer has J award space.
However, I now see space in from AUH-LHR in EY F, following by LHR-YVR in AC J.
I called in to Aeroplan and asked if it's possible to change to MLE-AUH-LHR-YVR, but they said my original booking could be a married segment so there is no guarantee I will be able to rebook MLE-AUH in J after canceling.
Is she right or is this a case of HUCA? I would love to make this flight in J-F-J, but not at the risk of losing J-J-J that I already have booked.
Old May 8, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by zam
Can changes be made to an aeroplan itinerary once travel has commenced? Can legs be added to the end of the itinerary up until the time of the departure of the "current" last leg?
thanks
I don't know about adding segments, but I was able to cancel an onward segment after reaching a "stopover" city...

Would also be interested in the add/change possibility.
Old May 9, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Are you able to use Air Canada miles to fly from the United States to Canada with stopover in Canada and if so are you able to do this for the cost in miles plus the 5000 miles? And if so is the miles cost based on the distance from US to final Canada destination, Or to connecting Canada destination?
Old May 9, 2022, 1:44 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by RaingerRain
Are you able to use Air Canada miles to fly from the United States to Canada with stopover in Canada and if so are you able to do this for the cost in miles plus the 5000 miles? And if so is the miles cost based on the distance from US to final Canada destination, Or to connecting Canada destination?
There are no stopovers allowed on North American reward tickets.
Old May 9, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
There are no stopovers allowed on North American reward tickets.
To clarify this a bit more: there are no stopovers in north America allowed on ANY Aeroplan reward ticket, not just those purely within North America!
canadiancow likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
For these - you book your TPAC/ TATL routes (in this case ORD-AUH-SIN) first and then call back later to add the YXE-ORD to existing booking. Almost always it goes through
Tried phoning in to add my YXE-ORD segment and the agent wanted to charge me an additional 100,000 some points as it “recalculated the trip”. Any pointers on how to add this route in for free, just keep calling in till I get an agent that knows how to do it??
Old May 9, 2022, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by matt.h10
Tried phoning in to add my YXE-ORD segment and the agent wanted to charge me an additional 100,000 some points as it “recalculated the trip”. Any pointers on how to add this route in for free, just keep calling in till I get an agent that knows how to do it??
It might help to understand how Aeroplan prices their itineraries. ORD-AUH-SIN just fits into the 7,501-11,000 mileage band. Adding YXE-ORD (let's assume it's a non-stop for the sake of discussion) adds another 1127 miles which pushes you into the 11,001 mileage band which then triggers an additional cost. I don't know where the additional 100,000 miles comes from, but if YXE-ORD is a connecting flight on AC, you might be triggering AC dynamic pricing which will push the cost increase even further.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by matt.h10
If YXE-ORD is on Air Canada, it is subject to dynamic pricing, howeverit should not be 100k ...
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old May 18, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Looking to book YYZ-AUH-SEZ in J on EY with a 5 day stopover in AUH...

If I book YYZ-AUH right when it becomes available, can I add the AUH-SEZ segment a week later using the 1 waived change free?

Would reprice from 85k to 100k + 5k for stopover?
Old May 18, 2022, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by mjrobson
Looking to book YYZ-AUH-SEZ in J on EY with a 5 day stopover in AUH...

If I book YYZ-AUH right when it becomes available, can I add the AUH-SEZ segment a week later using the 1 waived change free?

Would reprice from 85k to 100k + 5k for stopover?

will it ? Can’t guarantee as there’s some dp of agents not savvy enough to ticket it. In that case HUCA

should it - Yes, provided you are not caught up with married segment routing restrictions on AUH - SEZ
Old May 18, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Diamond, AC 35K, National Exec, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
will it ? Can’t guarantee as there’s some dp of agents not savvy enough to ticket it. In that case HUCA

should it - Yes, provided you are not caught up with married segment routing restrictions on AUH - SEZ
Thanks - I guess we'll see. I can book YYZ-SEZ as well as YYZ-AUH and AUH-SEZ separately online so hopefully there are no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.