Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by obierice
  • The trouble I'm having is that I cannot for the life of me find a way to get home from Europe to YYZ on anything other than AC metal. I've tried finding ways home from CDG, FCO and ATH through a stopover in practically every European and US airport and cannot find one that works. The only option I've found is to fly home from FRA or MUC in Economy.
This may not display while searching because the AC engine prefers AC flights. You may need to search by segment and piece it together yourself.
The best for availability into YYZ are LO and TP (from ORY). You will also see ZRH-YUL on LX. YYZ on TK is rare, but plentiful to YUL/BOS/IAD/ORD
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
  • The trouble I'm having is that I cannot for the life of me find a way to get home from Europe to YYZ on anything other than AC metal. I've tried finding ways home from CDG, FCO and ATH through a stopover in practically every European and US airport and cannot find one that works. The only option I've found is to fly home from FRA or MUC in Economy.
I'm seeing availability from WAW on LO to both JFK and ORD on the 23rd; the JFK option forces an overnight (and a change of airport for your YYZ flight), but the ORD option gets you home the same day. Just have to figure out how to get to WAW.

• Also, it's my understanding because I can't hit up the same airport twice, and you can only get to Santorini through Athens, I need to make Athens my Destination, and book and pay for flights separately from ATH to Santorini. Is this correct?
Any reason why you have to have the trip booked as a RT vs 2 OW? Before when stopovers weren't allowed on OW itinerary it made sense, but these days I'm not sure there's much advantage.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 11:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by Twickenham
Any reason why you have to have the trip booked as a RT vs 2 OW? Before when stopovers weren't allowed on OW itinerary it made sense, but these days I'm not sure there's much advantage.
Even on RT you can repeat same airport. Rule limits it per bound. A RT will have minimum 2 bounds and you can only access the airport once / bound.

RT makes sense (imho only) on AC metal itineraries where dynamic pricing (on some RT rewards) can be cheaper than same booking as 2 OW.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:27 pm

Need some help on itinerary change. I booked ORD-AUH-SIN on EY J with a stopover in AUH but had the wrong departure date from ORD-AUH (facepalm) . I called into aeroplan and they said they can’t change just one segment and it needs to be cancelled completely. If I do this he said I risk EY not putting the AUH-SIN portion back into the system for points redemption, is this correct?

I used cowtool for this (headache saver!) and I want to add YXE as the first location but can’t get the ORD-AUH-SIN route to come up only west thru NRT. Am I forced to add YXE-ORD as a separate redemption and pay the 12,000 points?
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by matt.h10
Need some help on itinerary change. I booked ORD-AUH-SIN on EY J with a stopover in AUH but had the wrong departure date from ORD-AUH (facepalm) . I called into aeroplan and they said they can’t change just one segment and it needs to be cancelled completely. If I do this he said I risk EY not putting the AUH-SIN portion back into the system for points redemption, is this correct?

I used cowtool for this (headache saver!) and I want to add YXE as the first location but can’t get the ORD-AUH-SIN route to come up only west thru NRT. Am I forced to add YXE-ORD as a separate redemption and pay the 12,000 points?
It's likely a married segment issue, which I've experienced frequently with EY.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
Even on RT you can repeat same airport. Rule limits it per bound. A RT will have minimum 2 bounds and you can only access the airport once / bound.

RT makes sense (imho only) on AC metal itineraries where dynamic pricing (on some RT rewards) can be cheaper than same booking as 2 OW.
RT is also important when using priority rewards.
jugaadkabaap likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's likely a married segment issue, which I've experienced frequently with EY.
Like ChrisA330 mentioned 99.9% its a married segment - in such cases you can't really split it.

For these - you book your TPAC/ TATL routes (in this case ORD-AUH-SIN) first and then call back later to add the YXE-ORD to existing booking. Almost always it goes through
Old Apr 27, 2022, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by jugaadkabaap
There's multiple ways to fly from ATH - YYZ without AC provided you are flexible with layovers and partner availability exists. Try following routes

ATH - CPH - YYZ (with SK)
ATH - WAW - YYZ (with A3 & LO)
ATH - AUH - YYZ (with EY)
ATH - IST - YYZ (with TK)

Again all these depends on availability
I think that's the issue I'm running into - is there no partner availability. I'm definitely flexible with layovers but running into issues finding partner availability for two seats in J.

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This may not display while searching because the AC engine prefers AC flights. You may need to search by segment and piece it together yourself.
The best for availability into YYZ are LO and TP (from ORY). You will also see ZRH-YUL on LX. YYZ on TK is rare, but plentiful to YUL/BOS/IAD/ORD
I have been searching each segment individually - I tried using ORY on the AC site and it defaults to only show CDG flights.
I'll take a look at TK flights to the other airports you mentioned, thanks!

Originally Posted by Twickenham
I'm seeing availability from WAW on LO to both JFK and ORD on the 23rd; the JFK option forces an overnight (and a change of airport for your YYZ flight), but the ORD option gets you home the same day. Just have to figure out how to get to WAW.

Thanks for taking a look! Yes I saw the WAW on LO to JFK as well. I guess my question in my original post was, there doesn't seem to be a way to get home to YYZ on a partner airline. So if I take LO to JFK/ORD, and then take AC metal home to YYZ, will it be a small incremental points cost?

Oh sorry, I was looking at it as two OW tickets.
First OW - YYZ-LIS-FCO-ATH
Second OW (using the ORD segment you found) - ATH-CDG-WAW-ORD-YYZ
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:44 am

Thanks for taking a look! Yes I saw the WAW on LO to JFK as well. I guess my question in my original post was, there doesn't seem to be a way to get home to YYZ on a partner airline. So if I take LO to JFK/ORD, and then take AC metal home to YYZ, will it be a small incremental points cost?
The cost to add an AC flight to your trip can be a bit unpredictable.
Also, it seems if the award flights from NYC/ORD to YYZ is not X/I space (ie. cash space), you're routing would need to also be permitted as per the underlying cash fare.
ATH-CDG-WAW-NYC/ORD-YYZ may or may not be permitted.

You can try and add an AC segment at the end of your trip, and if it doesn't end up working out, consider buying a revenue ticket for that last hop.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 6:24 am

Hi everyone,

Trying my hand for the first time with a more complex booking than just domestic.

I want to book YVR-MLE-YVR or YVR-DPS-YVR next year.

This is not available as per the cowtool for any date I checked. However the individual segments, YVR-TPE, TPE-SIN and SIN-MLE are available.

This is 10k miles when checked with the greater circle mapper. If I am looking at the chart correctly (NA-Atlantic, >8k miles) this should be 100k.

1. If I find availability for the above segments and don’t go over the 24 hour layover rule, does this sound bookable? Even though I don’t see YVR-MLE available using the cowtool?

2. Another novice question - I am only finding J space from YVR to Asia on Eva next FEB/March. Nothing on Thai, SQ, very few seats on ANA. Nothing on NZ to AKL (just to test). I checked dates 300-330 days from now. Do the other airlines book out really fast, or do they release space at different times?

3. I’ve never really travelled in business long haul before. I have about 400k miles. I’m open to going to other destinations to experience an amazing premium cabin product. What’s your favourite redemption in J/F?

Thanks,
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 4thState
Hi everyone,

Trying my hand for the first time with a more complex booking than just domestic.

I want to book YVR-MLE-YVR or YVR-DPS-YVR next year.
. What’s your favourite redemption in J/F?

Thanks,
I suggest you look at Etihad and piece something together. Even First class out of IAD is readily available.

in theory you should be able to price out anything that combines individual segments but finding an agent knowing how and willing to may be a challenge.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:20 am

Also a possibility to go via IST: direct from YVR, then to MLE via BAH.

Or even via IST, CAI and AUH for sub-24-hour layover to visit the pyramids.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

3. I’ve never really travelled in business long haul before. I have about 400k miles. I’m open to going to other destinations to experience an amazing premium cabin product. What’s your favourite redemption in J/F?

Thanks,
Pre covid EVA had one of the best biz class products out there including vintage champagne and PJs as standard. If that’s continued during and post covid you can’t really go wrong with them and would be my choice. SQ, ANA also good products, ANA probably wins on the seating. TG is solid, but has had some cutbacks due to financial pressures.

I was happy with EY a couple weeks ago, biz class was fine, First will be even better.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 1:44 pm

I’ve never really travelled in business long haul before. I have about 400k miles. I’m open to going to other destinations to experience an amazing premium cabin product. What’s your favourite redemption in J/F?
Thanks,
Ultimately it depends on whether you just wanna fly to experience the product (regardless of destination) or you want to experience great products that work with your travel plans. I fit into the latter category where I want to be in control of my trips (& not let the airline product dictate my travel plans) - so almost all the time, I pick or do adjustments to find the best (or one of the best products) in my planned route.

My J preferences (strictly based on AP partners)

For Europe - my goto are LX & TK. (mainly because lot of availability from YUL and overall solid product). If I can't find both of these - I will go with LH, AC & OS
Indian Subcontinent - I tend to prefer Middle eastern carriers in these routes - EY, GF, WY as they suite me best when it comes to award availability, hard / soft product & schedule.
Asia - BR, NH, SQ, TG
Australia - SQ, EY

If we are stretching outside of Aeroplan - Qsuites will be my favorite J product. EK F when it comes to F
Old May 2, 2022, 7:41 pm

Just wanted to confirm my understanding, but if one were to make a modification to a "bound" that contained AC segments, then that entire bound would get re-priced whenever a change is made, correct?

In my situation, I have a trip booked that got changed involuntarily, and now contains a connection time that is a bit too tight for comfort.
There's a later flight with award availability that I'd like to change to instead, but I'm concerned about whether this will trigger a re-price of this bound.
The bound includes AC and partner flights, with the flight I'm wanting to modify a partner flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.