Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Never noticed this before, but is there suddenly some married-segment availability on other airlines?

E.g. I'm seeing

Jan 8, 2023: ZRH-YUL - not available as non-stop
Jan 8, 2023: ZRH-YUL-BOS available, with ZRH-YUL on LX for 58.2k in J

The ZRH-YUL flight is NOT available on UA, which makes me wonder if this is some sort of new/extra thing. Anyone else seen this? What's happening here?

What's extra weird is that on other days, ZRH-YUL IS available as a non-stop on LX, e.g. Nov 1 it's available for 60k in J.
I noticed yesterday LH F was available FRA-DEL when connecting onwards to SE Asia (for example to SIN), but was not available for itineraries terminating in DEL (LON-FRA-DEL maxed out in biz class, FRA-DEL alone also maxed out in biz class)
Old Apr 14, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by NHarmonia
Hi all, have been unable to get an aeroplan agent on the line to book yet. I would like to confirm if this routing is indeed valid: BKK-LHR-MCT-AUH-GVA-JFK
MCT-AUH and GVA-JFK in J, rest in F. This seems to follow the 6(?) segment rule, and total distance < 2x BKK-JFK. Any other rule I should be vary of? Thanks!
Valid in theory. But be ready for computer says no. I would be very surprised if this worked and/or you found an agent who would be willing or able to piece this together. Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:49 am

just an update. I had booked 4 tix in J MLE-IST-ORD. Wasn't able to add the ORD-YYZ despite it showing as available on the website. Agent told me it couldn't be added.

That was a couple weeks ago. I caled this morning. and the agent was able to add it. No additional points, just an extra $30 in taxes.

So it's
MLE-IST on TK
IST-ORD on TK
ORD-YYZ on AC
kalderlake likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by grandgourmand
just an update. I had booked 4 tix in J MLE-IST-ORD. Wasn't able to add the ORD-YYZ despite it showing as available on the website. Agent told me it couldn't be added.

That was a couple weeks ago. I caled this morning. and the agent was able to add it. No additional points, just an extra $30 in taxes.

So it's
MLE-IST on TK
IST-ORD on TK
ORD-YYZ on AC
That's pretty shocking/surprising you were able to add an AC leg with no additional points. Congrats!
friedablass likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 8:53 am

How to correct a mistake?

I had an AP J class PER-NRT-YVR-YYJ ticket next March I paid 126,000 points for. Higher than I wanted due to dynamic pricing but the only one available at the time. Last night I called AP to ask if I could change it to PER-SIN-BKK-CAI-MCT stopoever MCT-IST-YVR for 110,000 points which is what I figured it should cost on all-partner flights. I have a simalar booking In October for 110,000 already in hand PER-SIN-KUL-MCT stopover MCT-BAH-IST-SEA. The AP agent said it couldn't be done for 110,000 and the system would only price it at 200,000. I very politely suggested the system wasn't pricing it correctly and she immediately said she was putting me to her supervisor, which has never happened to me before. After about a 20 minute wait, he came on to reaffirm it couldn't be done for 110,000 points.. After some polite back and forth with me asking if he could tell me why, I said I would not like to chagne my ticket but would stick with the 126,000 point routing and ticket I already have. He then told me that they had already made the change and that the original routing was no longer available.
Before I go any further, I'm thinking they made a mistake. Is that correct? I have called on other iternaries and gone through options with agents and, when the priciing didnt' work in my favour, stuck with the original ticketing. Last night there was no going back.
Did I make a mistake or did they?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:39 pm

Partner changes or additions

These forums are incredibly helpful and the cow tools have saved many hours of time.

Is the rule that all-partner bookings can be changed or have segments added without forcing a re-pricing written anywhere that I can refer to when talking with an AP agent?

If I add a segment to an all partner booking that starts in another zone what happens with the pricing? I.e. i have a ticket IST-YVR for 100k and i want to add BKK-IST at the begining, which makes it a 85k ticket if done from scratch?

And if I start in Perth, it would be 105k if starting from scratch. Will that stay the price if added to the original IST-YVR?

Thank you all.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobDN
These forums are incredibly helpful and the cow tools have saved many hours of time.

Is the rule that all-partner bookings can be changed or have segments added without forcing a re-pricing written anywhere that I can refer to when talking with an AP agent?

If I add a segment to an all partner booking that starts in another zone what happens with the pricing? I.e. i have a ticket IST-YVR for 100k and i want to add BKK-IST at the begining, which makes it a 85k ticket if done from scratch?

And if I start in Perth, it would be 105k if starting from scratch. Will that stay the price if added to the original IST-YVR?

Thank you all.
If you add segments to an all-partner booking, it will price according to the new routing. I can't think of a scenario where adding a segment will get you a DISCOUNT though, though those scenarios probably exist...

IST-YVR should've only been 70k or 85k to begin with though, no?
BKK-IST-YVR should be 85k.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:17 pm

Thank you Smiley90.

I wasnt' complete in my description as I thought it would be helpful to simplify the situation and I see that was not smart. I have a ticket PER-BKK-IST-MCT for 115,000 points. I have a follow on ticket MCT-IST-YVR at 97,000 points. This had to be two bounds when booked as the only way to get in and out of MCT was via IST and I can't go there twice on one PNR. I'm hoping that some alternative ways to get into MCT will show up and thereby eliminate the need to go through IST twice and therefore this whole itenary can go on one PNR for 1110,000 points (105,000 Pacific to NA plus 5k for stopover in MCT). The YVR-IST routing I currently hold is now no longer available and I don't want to lose it if and when I make the change to one PNR that I hoping to make. In posts 711, 712 and others, it's said that you can add/change existing all-partner routings without repricing and hold onto existing segments like my IST-YVR leg. I'm asking if this is correct? and if there is a chance the AP agent will not know the rules, is there anything in writing about this?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you Smiley90.

I wasnt' complete in my description as I thought it would be helpful to simplify the situation and I see that was not smart. I have a ticket PER-BKK-IST-MCT for 115,000 points. I have a follow on ticket MCT-IST-YVR at 97,000 points. This had to be two bounds when booked as the only way to get in and out of MCT was via IST and I can't go there twice on one PNR. I'm hoping that some alternative ways to get into MCT will show up and thereby eliminate the need to go through IST twice and therefore this whole itenary can go on one PNR for 1110,000 points (105,000 Pacific to NA plus 5k for stopover in MCT). The YVR-IST routing I currently hold is now no longer available and I don't want to lose it if and when I make the change to one PNR that I hoping to make. In posts 711, 712 and others, it's said that you can add/change existing all-partner routings without repricing and hold onto existing segments like my IST-YVR leg. I'm asking if this is correct? and if there is a chance the AP agent will not know the rules, is there anything in writing about this?
Oooh that's very relevant to know, yes. My one concern here is that you appear to be hoping to "fuse" two itineraries together and get the refund, but I'm not sure THAT is possible. It's certainly possible to add or remove segments, but I'm not sure AC can merge PNRs, if you e.g. want to keep PER-BKK in case that is not available anymore either.

In a scenario like the one you're describing, the easiest way would have likely been to just have a stopover in IST and book IST-MCT separately, either with cash, as that likely would have come out cheaper.

Is it possible an agent doesn't know the rules/how to do it? Yes, definitely. Just hang up and call again in that case, they definitely CAN do it.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:18 pm

I was hoping to cancel the PER-BKK-IST-MCT PNR after adding new segments to the MCT-IST-YVR PNR that get me from PER to MCT without touching IST. So I wouldn't be asking to merge two PNRs, I would be adding segments to one and then cancelling another one. New routing would be something like PER-SIN-KUL-MCT-IST-YVR so adding 3 segments and some additional points in cost to the original MCT-IST-YVR PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was hoping to cancel the PER-BKK-IST-MCT PNR after adding new segments to the MCT-IST-YVR PNR that get me from PER to MCT without touching IST. So I wouldn't be asking to merge two PNRs, I would be adding segments to one and then cancelling another one. New routing would be something like PER-SIN-KUL-MCT-IST-YVR so adding 3 segments and some additional points in cost to the original MCT-IST-YVR PNR.
Then yes, that should work. There may or may not be a change fee depending on when you booked the ticket, what type of ticket and your status, but it's definitely doable and if an agent says no, hang up and call again.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 10:37 pm

Partner changes or additions

Thank you Smiley90.

I'll post what happens after I call them. This may be useful for others.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Then yes, that should work. There may or may not be a change fee depending on when you booked the ticket, what type of ticket and your status, but it's definitely doable and if an agent says no, hang up and call again.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 11:29 pm

I noticed some recent comments due to AC dynamic pricing that everything is out the window. I already HUCA four times to see if I can get the 5k stopover. Do you guys think this was booked correctly with 5k pts for one stopover as I have thought of calling in one more time next to speak to a supervisor. Wanted to ask what you guys think first as you guys sound way more knowledgeable than the call center. And all the trouble just for Y.

YVR-YUL-ATH (stopover) shows up as 55k on Aug 1
ATH-BAH-DXB shows up as 25k on Aug 9
DXB-YUL-YVR is 92.3k for Aug 19
total is 172.3k if booked as one ways

I got charged 170.1k plus 194 taxes, does this seem right to you guys? Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 7:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E75, WS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, GHA Plat, UA Silver, SQ Silver
Originally Posted by out2gogo
I noticed some recent comments due to AC dynamic pricing that everything is out the window. I already HUCA four times to see if I can get the 5k stopover. Do you guys think this was booked correctly with 5k pts for one stopover as I have thought of calling in one more time next to speak to a supervisor. Wanted to ask what you guys think first as you guys sound way more knowledgeable than the call center. And all the trouble just for Y.

YVR-YUL-ATH (stopover) shows up as 55k on Aug 1
ATH-BAH-DXB shows up as 25k on Aug 9
DXB-YUL-YVR is 92.3k for Aug 19
total is 172.3k if booked as one ways

I got charged 170.1k plus 194 taxes, does this seem right to you guys? Thanks in advance for any input.
It's impossible to comment on YVR-YUL-ATH or DXB-YUL-YVR pricing because it may involve Air Canada segments. Please specify which segment is flown by which carrier so that we can guesstimate.

My understanding is you are flying YVR to DXB and back with a stop over in ATH on outbound. If the ticket is in Y and all segments are with partners or partner + X class of AC - it should be priced at 70K+5K+70K = 145K + whatever Tax.

In your case pricing is calculated as follows
YVR-YUL-ATH-BAH-DXB = X (assuming its all partner or on AC metal with X inventory or lowest dynamic pricing range - this should be 70K for Y as its under NA-Atlantic 8K+ band)
DXB-YUL-YVR = Y (assuming its all partner or on AC metal with X inventory or lowest dynamic pricing range - this should be 70K for Y as its under NA-Atlantic 8K+ band)
stop over cost = 5000 points

Total pricing = X+Y+5000

But because your routing have AC segments (with dynamic pricing) - its impossible to say what should be accurate pricing.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 5:34 pm

Yes, most are with AC.

YVR-YUL-ATH (stopover) shows up as 55k on Aug 1 all on AC
ATH-BAH-DXB shows up as 25k on Aug 9 on Gulf Air
DXB-YUL-YVR is 92.3k for Aug 19 all on AC

So I guess with dynamic AC, it's whatever they call it, probably no point calling in then. Due to this pandemic I had to book last min which is costing high points to even book in Y for 4 of us. Just feel lucky I didn't get stuck with having to book Egypt air or Ethiopian airlines as some of the scary choices into DXB. At least I had the chance to book my last MRW partly in J for way less points than what I'm shelling out this time, 3 years ago. For anyone thinking of going to ATH, someone on Tripadvisor called the airport and got a reply saying they don't do any random testing anymore in Athens. Before if one were to test positive it's a sure 5 days supervised isolation.

Thanks jugaadkabaap for your thoughts, appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.