Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
UPDATE: Finally i could able to get this one way having stop over coded as expected.

YYZ-CAI-DXB(STOP OVER)-BAH-SIN-HAN - 105K+5K for stop over.

The last leg from SIN-HAN in Y unfortunately though the duration is short but cannot use the lounge.

Wish i could have brought down under 11k miles which would have been coded 85k+5k from N.america to Pacific zone pricing.

now looking DXB-AMM-DXB, unfortunately aero plan redemption is going via BAH/MCT/CAI for 12.5k+$150 taxes one way..
that is 25k+$300, where as the cash fares are around $550..

For now i burned 12.5k+$150 DXB-BAH(7.5hrs layover)-AMM and thinking of using AVIOS to book Royal Jordin flight from AMM-DXB direct for 11k+$140 which is slightly cheaper than Aeroplan redemption.

PS: Now i have to change this ticket as BAHRAIN does not allow visa free to go outside and waste of time staying in the airport for such long layover.
any one can confirm
Old Apr 12, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
I'm a newbie with Aeroplan, but something was a bit off when I repriced an award where I had to change the stopover city from BER to WAW.

First I had a BOM-AUH-FRA-BER (stopover) BER-MUC-EWR for 120k points - all in business class.

Then I changed it to BOM-AUH-FRA-WAW (stopover) WAW-MUC-EWR - with only changing the FRA-BER to WAW and the BER-MUC to WAW-MUC - all other flights were unchanged, same dates - but now priced at 150k!

It's a bit weird, because I just flew an EWR-FRA (in LH F) FRA-MUC-DEL-BOM (in LH C and AI C) for only 110k.

I'm thinking of calling into Aeroplan again and asking another agent to check the miles required...or does it seem okay to you guys??
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Do we need a new cowtool to give you the expected price of a specific itinerary? We can call it the local psychic.

I can't tell you what it should be from looking at it, but it should be trivial to calculate.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:11 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Do we need a new cowtool to give you the expected price of a specific itinerary? We can call it the local psychic.

I can't tell you what it should be from looking at it, but it should be trivial to calculate.
If this was directed at me, all I can say was that the new pricing was the exact amount of the 2 one-ways, and no 5k stopover added...not sure what is correct or not, but I was assuming that redemptions from EWR-BOM and the reverse were fixed mileage amounts, but maybe I'm wrong??
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
If this was directed at me, all I can say was that the new pricing was the exact amount of the 2 one-ways, and no 5k stopover added...not sure what is correct or not, but I was assuming that redemptions from EWR-BOM and the reverse were fixed mileage amounts, but maybe I'm wrong??
Oh I just mean this is a recurring problem with Aeroplan quoting X, people coming here saying "I don't think that's right", and some other member coming up with (or confirming) a different number.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:17 am

Oh I just mean this is a recurring problem with Aeroplan quoting X, people coming here saying "I don't think that's right", and some other member coming up with (or confirming) a different number.
Okay, then Aeroplan is also just like United now - with variable award amounts?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Not with all-partner itineraries like yours.

If you're flying AC, the link in my signature is a pretty good guess of what it will cost. If there's no AC on it, we can easily determine what it should cost.
YOWgary and jugaadkabaap like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 11:21 am

Not with all-partner itineraries like yours.

If you're flying AC, the link in my signature is a pretty good guess of what it will cost. If there's no AC on it, we can easily determine what it should cost.
Yes, I have noted the AC itineraries require some pretty "whacked out" point requirements at times!

Programs: AC 75K
It's dynamic pricing if there is an AC segment.

Otherwise, the pricing is not based just on origin to destination, it's also based on the total distance of travel.

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
It's dynamic pricing if there is an AC segment.

Otherwise, the pricing is not based just on origin to destination, it's also based on the total distance of travel.
Okay, thanks for that clarification!
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:00 pm
zam

I'm a newbie with Aeroplan, but something was a bit off when I repriced an award where I had to change the stopover city from BER to WAW.

First I had a BOM-AUH-FRA-BER (stopover) BER-MUC-EWR for 120k points - all in business class.

Then I changed it to BOM-AUH-FRA-WAW (stopover) WAW-MUC-EWR - with only changing the FRA-BER to WAW and the BER-MUC to WAW-MUC - all other flights were unchanged, same dates - but now priced at 150k!

It's a bit weird, because I just flew an EWR-FRA (in LH F) FRA-MUC-DEL-BOM (in LH C and AI C) for only 110k.

I'm thinking of calling into Aeroplan again and asking another agent to check the miles required...or does it seem okay to you guys??
could be a problem with the routing rule that doesn't allow RE"visiting" a country in any direction. Leaving Germany, going to Poland, and returning to Germany will break it. "Within a single
direction of travel, backtracking via the same connecting airport, city or country
is not permitted."
CPYVR likes this.

Last edited by zam; Apr 12, 2022 at 7:04 pm
Old Apr 14, 2022, 1:41 pm

I have 2 questions/observations related to my recent booking experience that I'd like to get more into on if anyone can enlighten.

The booking experience: I was searching cow's engine (thanks cow!) for trips to SIN and one popped up YVR-AKL-SIN on AC-SQ J at almost 1/3 the points as the YVR-AKL flight by itself, so jumped on it and make the booking online. Called in to extend the 16 hour layover into a stopover and was told by agent "that's not what a stopover is", "you can't do that", etc.. As I know better, I argued with her for a while until she begrudgingly decided to actually price it out and sure enough, I got my 4 day stopover for 10,000 pts (5k per person).

Q. 1. The price of the YVR-AKL-SIN flight was 109,000 in J, which is close to the partner rate of 105,000 for that distance band, but way less than the 278,000 points the exact same YVR-AKL segment was being priced at on its own. I'm curious as to why this happened. The AKL-SIN segment was about 43% of the total distance. I've noticed that the higher percentage of a trip on partner metal tends to increase the weight placed on pricing at the partner level, but adding just 4,000 points when 57% of the trip is on AC metal seems strange. I would love to know more precisely how the algorithm works so this strategy can be exploited. Is there a magic percentage of partner metal that alters the rate so dramatically? As all AP flights can be one-way bookings, the opportunity for skip-lagging is something that could be utilized in addition to building some interesting RTW trips on the cheap.

Q. 2. What the hell is going on with AP agents not understanding what a stopover is? It's been 1.5 years on the new program so the learning curve should be well behind them. In this case, I wasn't trying to add a segment, I was literally adding a stopover into an already booked one way itinerary. The agent kept referring to the 2nd segment as my "return flight". Seriously, ...? Is there a way to provide feedback to AC loyalty management so they understand what's happening?

Last edited by gospelle; Apr 14, 2022 at 1:43 pm Reason: clarification
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by gospelle
Q. 2. What the hell is going on with AP agents not understanding what a stopover is? It's been 1.5 years on the new program so the learning curve should be well behind them. In this case, I wasn't trying to add a segment, I was literally adding a stopover into an already booked one way itinerary. The agent kept referring to the 2nd segment as my "return flight". Seriously, ...? Is there a way to provide feedback to AC loyalty management so they understand what's happening?
Two thoughts
a) There are so few of those bookings and/or high turnover - there is no benefit to spending resources to train phone agents on this.
b) This is done on purpose, since these are the highest value redemptions - so its beneficial to AC to make it as difficult as possible.
There was a promise of a functioning online booking engine "in a few months" in 2020, but it never happened, and probably never will.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:00 pm
zam

Originally Posted by gospelle
I have 2 questions/observations related to my recent booking experience that I'd like to get more into on if anyone can enlighten.

The booking experience: I was searching cow's engine (thanks cow!) for trips to SIN and one popped up YVR-AKL-SIN on AC-SQ J at almost 1/3 the points as the YVR-AKL flight by itself, so jumped on it and make the booking online. Called in to extend the 16 hour layover into a stopover and was told by agent "that's not what a stopover is", "you can't do that", etc.. As I know better, I argued with her for a while until she begrudgingly decided to actually price it out and sure enough, I got my 4 day stopover for 10,000 pts (5k per person).

Q. 1. The price of the YVR-AKL-SIN flight was 109,000 in J, which is close to the partner rate of 105,000 for that distance band, but way less than the 278,000 points the exact same YVR-AKL segment was being priced at on its own. I'm curious as to why this happened. The AKL-SIN segment was about 43% of the total distance. I've noticed that the higher percentage of a trip on partner metal tends to increase the weight placed on pricing at the partner level, but adding just 4,000 points when 57% of the trip is on AC metal seems strange. I would love to know more precisely how the algorithm works so this strategy can be exploited. Is there a magic percentage of partner metal that alters the rate so dramatically? As all AP flights can be one-way bookings, the opportunity for skip-lagging is something that could be utilized in addition to building some interesting RTW trips on the cheap.

any "direction" that includes AC metal is priced off the revenue pricing for that route. Revenue pricing is not distance based.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 4:20 pm

Hi all, have been unable to get an aeroplan agent on the line to book yet. I would like to confirm if this routing is indeed valid: BKK-LHR-MCT-AUH-GVA-JFK
MCT-AUH and GVA-JFK in J, rest in F. This seems to follow the 6(?) segment rule, and total distance < 2x BKK-JFK. Any other rule I should be vary of? Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.