Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments After Booking (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments After Booking (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Apr 9, 22, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by grandgourmand View Post
Got it, thanks. The ORD-YYZ flight is on AC. When you say "reprice of the whole ticket" you mean any points adjustments? I'm just hoping if I make any changes from here on out that my first leg (MLE-IST) is locked in.
If there is an AC segment, the whole ticket will reprice, subject to the dynamic pricing of that segment, assuming it also satisfies the routing rules.
They havent messed with all-partner awards yet, and for now have a chart that in theory the pricing should follow - but in reality stopover itineraries rarely price out properly.

There was a functional booking engine promised in 2020 in "a few months" but it never came... surprise!
Old Apr 9, 22, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by tracon View Post
Is there a PHX-YYC,YYZ,YVR-YUL-CMN routing that keeps your connections below 24 hours?
There is but those are additional legs that don't make sense. It's for my girlfriend based in PHX and I'm based in YUL, so we'd rather she's in Montreal for 24 hours and she can spend the day here instead of spending time in an airport somewhere. That may be why Air Canada doesn't allow NA stopovers since it could be abused in home cities. We'll probably just make it 2 fares with PHX-YUL being Y instead of J.
Old Apr 10, 22, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I booked yesterday - on line - YOW-SFO and then SFO-YYZ. No issues.
I can book YYZ-YOW - no issues (I miss the one stopover allowed with the old Aeroplan program).

But I used a priority award to make the first 2 bookings. Obviously, I could not book more than 2 segments on line.
I did not want to book the 3 segments with priority awards with Aeroplan telephone agent, or I would have to pay the Booking fee.
Can I now call the Aeroplan agent and add the third segment to the original ticket, use the priority award for next segment, and not pay the booking fee?
Old Apr 10, 22, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by RJAdventurer View Post
Looking at an itinerary PHX-YUL-CMN that would require a stopover since the YUL-CMN flight is 24 hours and 5 minutes after the PHX-YUL flight. Called Aeroplan a couple times and both agents quoted the same as if it were 2 separate fares. They said in their quoting system it wasn't adding the stopover. They couldn't really explain why. Is there something I'm missing that wouldn't give a stopover as an option? First time I look at using one.
What dates are you looking to fly, and in which class?
Old Apr 10, 22, 10:15 am

Programs: AC 50K, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Ugh, I booked MLE-AUH-MAD-YYZ and now there's a better routing available, MLE-AUH-FRA-YYZ saving 3 hours on the return and 1 less hour overnight (departs 2am instead of 3am). However the agent said they can't make a change because MLE-AUH is no longer available for a new ticket (right, I have the only two J seats) so they can't change any other part of the routing if an entirely new ticket isn't available for purchase. I wonder if I added a stopover in AUH would they be able to "fix it" without losing my MLE-AUH segment...

Is this a case of HUCA or is this basically the deal with any tickets involving Ethiad?
Old Apr 10, 22, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by mikeyyz View Post
Ugh, I booked MLE-AUH-MAD-YYZ and now there's a better routing available, MLE-AUH-FRA-YYZ saving 3 hours on the return and 1 less hour overnight (departs 2am instead of 3am). However the agent said they can't make a change because MLE-AUH is no longer available for a new ticket (right, I have the only two J seats) so they can't change any other part of the routing if an entirely new ticket isn't available for purchase. I wonder if I added a stopover in AUH would they be able to "fix it" without losing my MLE-AUH segment...

Is this a case of HUCA or is this basically the deal with any tickets involving Ethiad?
HUCA. They can definitely change just part of the ticket.
Old Apr 11, 22, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
Adding AC on this very itinerary caused me issues, the pricing either went whack or agent insisted it's not a valid routing.
There should not be a reprice if you keep it all partner.
I was able to add YYZ-IAD on UA Y (No J cabin) to my IAD-AUH-HKT EY J without additional miles. (some extra taxes though)
Adding an AC leg would have been a problem though.
grandgourmand likes this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by shawneve View Post
I was able to add YYZ-IAD on UA Y (No J cabin) to my IAD-AUH-HKT EY J without additional miles. (some extra taxes though)
Adding an AC leg would have been a problem though.
Exactly my experience. I feel bad for anyone that is not at YYZ YUL or YVR and needs an AC connector to their intl itineraries.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never noticed this before, but is there suddenly some married-segment availability on other airlines?

E.g. I'm seeing

Jan 8, 2023: ZRH-YUL - not available as non-stop
Jan 8, 2023: ZRH-YUL-BOS available, with ZRH-YUL on LX for 58.2k in J

The ZRH-YUL flight is NOT available on UA, which makes me wonder if this is some sort of new/extra thing. Anyone else seen this? What's happening here?

What's extra weird is that on other days, ZRH-YUL IS available as a non-stop on LX, e.g. Nov 1 it's available for 60k in J.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:37 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
Never noticed this before, but is there suddenly some married-segment availability on other airlines?
LX group has been doing this for years. Here's a Google search result that will direct you to a few threads on here.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
LX group has been doing this for years. Here's a www.flyertalk.com]Google search result[/url] that will direct you to a few threads on here.
I guess if it was consistent it'd make sense, but it sometimes being available as a non-stop is a headscratcher. I guess I'll take it, thanks.
Old Apr 11, 22, 4:41 pm

Booked YYZ-ATL-IST-ATH for October with segments on AC / TK / A3 respectively. Initially the IST-ATH was showing space on TK as well but when I called to book neither of us could see it any more. I'm seeing the TK space back now and called in to change the segment but the agent on the phone said it was blocking her and claimed it was phantom space. I can make it all the way through to the payment page online with the seats either as their own reward or married to an ATL-ATH ticket (ATL-IST-ATH). Is it just a matter of HUCA until I get someone who knows how to fix the error that pops up, or is there something specific I need to tell them (or something I'm just missing...)
Old Apr 11, 22, 7:28 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K
Might already have been answered but just double checking.
For the new AP booking it's one way bound logic right? So origin and final return destination do not need to be the same?

I currently have:
IAD-AUH F
AUH-JNB J STOP
JNB-CPT J open jaw

SEZ-AUH J stop
AUH-IAD F

I am crossing my fingers and tees that LH might have F availability closer to departure day but likely would originate in MEX,IAH,JFK,ORD, or IAD. (depending on duration and if the FRA-JNB segment available I'd want to try it).

There shouldn't be any issues with changing the origin should there?

Of note I had tremendous issues trying to actually make CPT my destination and then SEZ a stop on the way back. The computer system wouldn't allow it despite having a very helpful agent. This was the best but it's all good, found some qatar airways avios availability to complete in J.

Thanks everyone
Old Apr 11, 22, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadianhockey91 View Post
Might already have been answered but just double checking.
For the new AP booking it's one way bound logic right? So origin and final return destination do not need to be the same?

I currently have:
IAD-AUH F
AUH-JNB J STOP
JNB-CPT J open jaw

SEZ-AUH J stop
AUH-IAD F

I am crossing my fingers and tees that LH might have F availability closer to departure day but likely would originate in MEX,IAH,JFK,ORD, or IAD. (depending on duration and if the FRA-JNB segment available I'd want to try it).

There shouldn't be any issues with changing the origin should there?

Of note I had tremendous issues trying to actually make CPT my destination and then SEZ a stop on the way back. The computer system wouldn't allow it despite having a very helpful agent. This was the best but it's all good, found some qatar airways avios availability to complete in J.

Thanks everyone
All sounds correct.

How were you planning to route CPT-SEZ that it threw an error? Something like CPT-ADD-SEZ//STOP//-AUH-IAD should theoretically be doable. I'm doing something very similar this summer (but MRU instead of SEZ )
Old Apr 11, 22, 11:04 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
All sounds correct.

How were you planning to route CPT-SEZ that it threw an error? Something like CPT-ADD-SEZ//STOP//-AUH-IAD should theoretically be doable. I'm doing something very similar this summer (but MRU instead of SEZ )
the problem was the SEZ-AUH segment. They couldnt pull the seats on the flight to make it within 24 hours for AUH-IAD in F. Ghost seats.

I had:
IAD-AUH-JNB stop
JNB-CPT turnaround
CPT-ADD-SEZ stop
SEZ-AUH-IAD

Originally I was hoping to make more than one stop but was confused because it's been so long since I've booked. I thought people were clamoring about how new AP you could book multiple stops for 5k each up to the max segments per direction so was trying to get a stop in sez and auh. Didnt realize it was the same as before with one stop each way plus POT.

ended up trying to just to the above but the sez-auh segment even in Y was unavailable.

I was on the phone for 2 hours so finally was able to at least do the open jaw and cut my losses. cuz they were able to get the SEZ-AUH segment just on a diff day.

Then planned on paying cash for CPT-SEZ buuuut had 140k rbc pts lying around idle so converted to avios and now JNB-DOH-SEZ one way in J 788 so not qsuites but still nice.

Overall pretty happy but cherry on top will be somehow getting LH F and a rubber duck in the F terminal.

Search this Thread