Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:41 am

Programs: AC 75K
Your trip falls into the 4001-6000 miles band, so if you had all partner airlines it would be 70k+5k, but you have an air canada flight which means there isn’t a flat rate. It could be as low as 70k+5k, but it could also be higher due to dynamic pricing.

It’s also possible that it’s pricing yyz-muc-spu, and spu-zrh separately as this isn’t a valid routing based on the underlying fare rules. If you can find a routing without an AC flight you won’t trigger this rule.
kalderlake and Smiley90 like this.

Last edited by ChrisA330; Apr 3, 2022 at 6:54 am
Old Apr 3, 2022, 9:04 am

Eleven years a member, and your first post.

Impressive lurkage.

Welcome to FT.
friedablass, Smiley90 and asovse1 like this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Air Canada 25K, Accorhotel Gold
Stopover single Asia-North America journety

I have questions about using stopovers on a single journey from Asia back to Canada. This will likely be in April of next year and would hope to be booking J flights at least transpacific. So in April next year, planning to either be in Hong Kong or Japan, but need to transit back through Taipei and stay there for at least a week. Hoping to use alternate carriers throughout (EVA/ANA).

If I am booking a stopover, does this have to be booked as a stopover from the very beginning, or would it be possible to book Japan-Taipei-Vancouver or HKG-TPE-YVR as a single non-stopover flight, and then call in and adjust just the first leg from Japan/HKG to Taipei? Or just book TPE-YVR now, and call in in the future to add the first step and have it designated stopocver?

Is it possible to use the multi city booking option on Aeroplan for this? When I try it it seems to add the 2 miles and taxes together.

It looks to me like the appropriate option is to call in when both of these flights are available and designate the journey as a stopover journey from the beginning. Is that correct? No online option that minimizes taxes/miles?

Once I have made a legitimate stopover booking, I can then move the two parts around individually if necessary?

If J status is achieved transpacific, but other booking is not on the stopover flight (economy), do I have J status on the first part (economy) booking?

With TPE currently still with 2 weeks quarantine (and no tourists), will this mean I cannot call in and make the booking)? I believe this is the current rule, but hear it will change

Thanks for any help
Jeff
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jeffnoone
I have questions about using stopovers on a single journey from Asia back to Canada. This will likely be in April of next year and would hope to be booking J flights at least transpacific. So in April next year, planning to either be in Hong Kong or Japan, but need to transit back through Taipei and stay there for at least a week. Hoping to use alternate carriers throughout (EVA/ANA).

If I am booking a stopover, does this have to be booked as a stopover from the very beginning, or would it be possible to book Japan-Taipei-Vancouver or HKG-TPE-YVR as a single non-stopover flight, and then call in and adjust just the first leg from Japan/HKG to Taipei? Or just book TPE-YVR now, and call in in the future to add the first step and have it designated stopocver?

You can call it and change it into a stopover, just book one leg now and then add the other later, or call the stopover from the beginning. All should work. Just keep in mind that if you have ANY AC flights, any changes to individual legs may reprice the whole trip.

Is it possible to use the multi city booking option on Aeroplan for this? When I try it it seems to add the 2 miles and taxes together.

have to call in.

It looks to me like the appropriate option is to call in when both of these flights are available and designate the journey as a stopover journey from the beginning. Is that correct? No online option that minimizes taxes/miles?

have to call in. Doesn't have to be a stopover from the beginning - you can make a regular booking online and call in later to convert it to a stopover journey - but anything involving stopovers requires a call.

Once I have made a legitimate stopover booking, I can then move the two parts around individually if necessary?

yep.

If J status is achieved transpacific, but other booking is not on the stopover flight (economy), do I have J status on the first part (economy) booking?

not sure what you mean by J status - do you mean a mixed-class booking? If you're on a mixed-class booking (e.g. Y-flight followed by J-flight) you do NOT get lounge access before your Y-flight, if that's the question.

With TPE currently still with 2 weeks quarantine (and no tourists), will this mean I cannot call in and make the booking)? I believe this is the current rule, but hear it will change

You should be able to call in and make the booking, as long as the flights exist.

Thanks for any help
Jeff
Answers in red
jeffnoone likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Air Canada 25K, Accorhotel Gold
Great answers,, thanks, I meant J status luggage allowance on the first leg, if first leg was booked economy, second leg transpaciifc in J, but I suspect it is no, based on lounge answer
Much appreciated,
Jeff
Old Apr 6, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by jeffnoone
Great answers,, thanks, I meant J status luggage allowance on the first leg, if first leg was booked economy, second leg transpaciifc in J, but I suspect it is no, based on lounge answer
Much appreciated,
Jeff
Luggage you might actually get away with, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. GENERALLY luggage allowance is based on the longest/trans-ocean segment's class and applies to the entire trip (I think?), so you might be okay there. Lounge access is different because your boarding pass will just say Economy and that won't get you in unless a lounge dragon is very nice and listens to your story.
jeffnoone likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:43 pm

Can't change from AC+partner all-economy to mixed-class

Is this HUCA? Want to reprice my itin correctly, after changing 2 segments on EVA from economy to Business.
Original booking:
YYZ-CDG AC economy
<stopover 5000 pts>
CGD-TPE-SGN BR economy.
It booked as a Pacific Zone oneway (with a Stopover) for total 56,000 pts.

"I" inventory appeared for both BR segments. Called Aeroplan to change the 2 BR segments to Business Class, leaving the AC segment in economy. Told NO. "Impossible". "Doesn't work that way".

I'm grateful for any input.

Last edited by yyzAAguy; Apr 7, 2022 at 2:16 pm Reason: told to edit
Old Apr 7, 2022, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Is this HUCA, have I triggered the dreaded "rule", or do I just give up?
Original booking is
YYZ-CDG AC economy (price, if booked alone, unchanged at 33,700, which is below the lowest of the dynamic range)
<stopover 5000 pts>
CGD-TPE-SGN BR economy.
It booked as a Pacific Zone oneway (with a Stopover) for 56,000 pts (on 4th call; first 3 typical AP behaviour you've read about above: "this is an open jaw, this is multiple trips, can't do that, I've worked here for years and it's always been this way, SIR"...)

When "I" inventory appeared for both BR segments, I called Aeroplan to pay more points and rebook the 2 BR segments in "I", leaving the AC segment in economy. There's no dispute that the AC segment price has not changed, and that the inventory I want is available. Result (warning you'll be shocked! shocked!!!): NO WAY NO HOW CAN'T, COMPUTER SAYS NO, TOO COMPLICATED TO EXPLAIN... Escalation produced a much more nuanced "No but I'll send it to our IT department, they'll get back to you in a week or two". A variety of explanations were offered, using impressive buzzwords like "combinability".

I'm obliged to the tribe for any input. If this is a straighforward HUCA scenario, great, I'll screw up the courage. The thought of it makes me yearn for Total Sensory Deprivation. If there's a detail I should have included herein, apologies.
Can you take out the verbatim dialogue and post the issue and question clearly? I have no idea what you're trying to do.

In case this is the actual issue: a voluntary change to a flight, reprices the whole itinerary
zappy312 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
AP redemption using stopover from YYZ-MiddleEast-Asia

Hello folks, as travel is picking up and award space is disappearing at fast pace, i wanted to book two(2) tickets for a 3 week trip during xmas holidays (Dec 9th to Jan2nd). I wanted to visit two places in middle east before heading to Asia (Vietnam).
Love to hear if any one recently booked using Aero plan or any other FFP and how much it might cost as i am getting different amounts every time calling AP call centre to stich using 1 stop over policy.

Segment-1: Dec 9th onwards YYZ(Toronto) to DXB(Dubai) by Dec 13th night to stay in Al-Maha resort and wanted to put a stop over at AMM (Amman) for 3 days. I am expecting around 90k in J but seeing more than 150k+
Segment-2: Dec 17th onwards from DXB(Dubai) to HAN(Hanoi) to spend one week in vietnam, then bus to Cambodia to sepnd another 1 week, then bus to bangkok to catch return flight to YYZ (which is already puchased using cash fare of $250).
I am open for any decent layovers during this trip maximize the points like CAI (to visits pyramids), IST (day trip) or VIE ( day trip).

I do have significant AP miles, AS miles (60k each), AVIOS(70k+), WJD $600, AMEX MR 150k(canada), 250k(USA).
So far i only redeemed using AP miles in the past and trying to see which other FFP gives the best value for the points.
Appreciate any suggestions/leads/feedback.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 12:56 pm

What is the exact itinerary including all connections? That's what is relevant to answer your questions.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:09 pm

If your routing doesn't involve any Air Canada operated flights, it should price out at the award chart + stopover costs (assuming you abide by the other "rules). If your YYZ-DXB flight involves any AC flights, pricing and routing rules can differ.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Can you take out the verbatim dialogue and post the issue and question clearly? I have no idea what you're trying to do.

In case this is the actual issue: a voluntary change to a flight, reprices the whole itinerary
Yes, I can.

No, that is not the actual issue.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by yyzAAguy
Is this HUCA? Want to reprice my itin correctly, after changing 2 segments on EVA from economy to Business.
Original booking:
YYZ-CDG AC economy
<stopover 5000 pts>
CGD-TPE-SGN BR economy.
It booked as a Pacific Zone oneway (with a Stopover) for total 56,000 pts.

"I" inventory appeared for both BR segments. Called Aeroplan to change the 2 BR segments to Business Class, leaving the AC segment in economy. Told NO. "Impossible". "Doesn't work that way".

I'm grateful for any input.
You can't choose to book a mixed class inventory, and only reprice a portion of it.. What you're asking for would change the entire ticket to a Business award, and reprice the entire booking accordingly. Otherwise, you need to book these as 2 separate tickets, one in economy, and one in Business.
canadiancow and kalderlake like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Currently have 3 tickets in business:

DEN-MUC-FLR (70k)
FLR-VIE-BER (VIE is stopover 15k+5k)
BER-MUC-DEN (70k)

Just realized that I could book as follows and save 10k points:

DEN-MUC-FLR- STOPOVER - VIE
VIE-BER -STOPOVER- MUC- DEN

If I call, will they reprice it? Will they keep the existing flights or does there have to be new award availability to build a new PNR?

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 7, 2022, 2:33 pm

Thanks. I think that's what the agent wasa trying to explain to me. However, you're articulate and she wasn't. And I trust you and not her.

Thanks for the quick clear help. I appreciate it.
ChrisA330 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.