Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I was hoping to get a little help with a couple of questions. With the world opening up again I was hoping to rebook my MRTW to Australia that I changed several times before finally cancelling (but it won't be a MRTW anymore - originally I had 5 day stops in KIX and WAW). I see YYZ-IAD-AUH and IAD-AUH-MEL with IAD-AUH if F, but not YYZ-IAD-AUH-MEL. Same with SYD as the final destination. Should I be able to phone that in? Also, if I book this leg now will I be able to phone in and amend it when the return opens up or should I wait and hope I can book both when it does. The reason I don't want to book 2 one ways is so I can use Priority rewards and save about 50% on the points. Thanks for any help you can give me (and thanks to Cow for his brilliant tool in helping me find this);
You should be able to book it by calling in, yes. And you should be able to amend it by calling it in, but you'll be on the hook for change fees if booking a non-flex award.

I've called in and added legs after the fact once they've opened up no problem, but like always, you might need to HUCA if the agent says something like "we can't do this anymore". They definitely can!
allbrosca likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
With respects to Aeroplan 5k stopover policy, does it have to be within the same airline?

Example:

ICN-LAX on OZ.

Add Stopover LAX to YYZ on AC, will this be 5k?
Old Mar 27, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danreech1234
With respects to Aeroplan 5k stopover policy, does it have to be within the same airline?

Example:

ICN-LAX on OZ.

Add Stopover LAX to YYZ on AC, will this be 5k?
They don't have to be the same airline, no - but you can't do stopovers in north America anyway.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 9:51 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Flying GRU - YUL - FRA on a Priority Lat award, I arrived in Montreal and wanted to change tonight's destination to Geneva.

Took an hour on hold, with repeated apologies from the agent as apparently there's an IT glitch currently affecting changes to Priority Rewards, but eventually it got through, and since they couldn't get the system to show them an amount for ADCOL they just gave it to me. I'm not mad!
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA 1k.
This has been a very frustrating evening with Aeroplan.

I have been trying to book a one-way award with a stopover. BKK-BEG (stopover)-NYC. Found each leg available (BKK-IST-BEG + BEG-VIE-YYZ-LGA). This should satisfy all conditions for a stopover on a one-way.

However, after I finally got a hold of an Aeroplan agent, he seemed a bit clueless and couldn't do it himself. He called the ticketing desk and after a few minutes came back saying this can only be booked as two one-ways, not a one-way with a stopover. Because "in your [my] eyes this is a valid routing" but "according to IATA rules this is not a valid one-way ticket"!? I asked him to explain, he could not except to repeat "it would be too good to be true if you could do it that way." Of course, he himself looked at the one-way with a stopover rules and read them back to me, but added "there is always a small print."

Now on hold to speak with a supervisor but I am sure that is going to be another 1-1.5h wait at least

Am I missing something? Or are they trying to milk me out of points?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by vip66

I have been trying to book a one-way award with a stopover. BKK-BEG (stopover)-NYC. Found each leg available (BKK-IST-BEG + BEG-VIE-YYZ-LGA). This should satisfy all conditions for a stopover on a one-way.

However, after I finally got a hold of an Aeroplan agent, he seemed a bit clueless and couldn't do it himself. He called the ticketing desk and after a few minutes came back saying this can only be booked as two one-ways, not a one-way with a stopover. Because "in your [my] eyes this is a valid routing" but "according to IATA rules this is not a valid one-way ticket"!? I asked him to explain, he could not except to repeat "it would be too good to be true if you could do it that way." Of course, he himself looked at the one-way with a stopover rules and read them back to me, but added "there is always a small print."

Now on hold to speak with a supervisor but I am sure that is going to be another 1-1.5h wait at least

Is the final leg on Air Canada? Post 651 of this thread suggests if AC is part of the itinerary there are routing rules and restrictions. Changing to UA may allow more freedom.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Most of the time, you cannot add AC segments on complex routings. It messes with the routing rules. You ll need to make it an all-partner award.

Is Air Serbia available nonstop?
Old Mar 31, 2022, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Is the final leg on Air Canada? Post 651 of this thread suggests if AC is part of the itinerary there are routing rules and restrictions. Changing to UA may allow more freedom.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Most of the time, you cannot add AC segments on complex routings. It messes with the routing rules. You ll need to make it an all-partner award.

AC is both on the TATL and the last YYZ-LGA segment. No other choices that I could see (Aug'22).

I did not think about AirSerbia, thanks for suggesting it. Although AC's web search did not pull any availability on JU.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC is both on the TATL and the last YYZ-LGA segment. No other choices that I could see (Aug'22).
I did not think about AirSerbia, thanks for suggesting it. Although AC's web search did not pull any availability on JU.
LOT? You may need to search by segment. The AC search engine prefers AC flights, so it may not display all options if you were to stitch them together. Then the next challenge if finding an agent who has the skills to build the itinerary for you.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:16 pm

For what it's worth, YYZ-BRU-CPH (Stopover) - ZRH - BKK with segments on AC is considered valid and priced out with the stopover. If I tried to add a layover in DUS on either side of CPH, that didn't price out with the stopover, sometimes the agent would get the no valid fare error, or if they got it priced, it was broken into 2 bounds (even though I was under the 6 segment rule).
As others have said, I'd look at dropping the AC segments if possible. Alternatively you can try booking BEG-NYC online and calling in to add on BKK-BEG, and seeing if there's any combination that prices out the stopover correctly.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 2:56 pm

Update on Air Serbia... they (AC agent) can individually pull availability, but the two legs (BKK-BEG on TK and BEG-JFK on JU) cannot be married. So it prices out as two one-ways. Too bad, as there is apparently plenty of availability in J on JU.

It is a bit frustrating that these rules are not transparent at all to customers.
Old Mar 31, 2022, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update on Air Serbia... they (AC agent) can individually pull availability, but the two legs (BKK-BEG on TK and BEG-JFK on JU) cannot be married. So it prices out as two one-ways. Too bad, as there is apparently plenty of availability in J on JU.

It is a bit frustrating that these rules are not transparent at all to customers.
I think this is less "rules" then it is "The AC IT system is incredibly archaic", FWIW. I'm sure it SHOULD work, it just... Doesn't
Old Mar 31, 2022, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thats the problem, the only source of the "rules" is an internal paper published by a blog. Most agents arent even trained in the rules.

Ok thats nonsense, this should price out. Perhaps call again and have the agent put it all together as a multicity itinerary, and escalate. This should be very straight forward. Good luck finding someone who can override "computer says no!"
Old Mar 31, 2022, 6:39 pm

Thats the problem, the only source of the "rules" is an internal paper published by a blog. Most agents arent even trained in the rules.

Ok thats nonsense, this should price out. Perhaps call again and have the agent put it all together as a multicity itinerary, and escalate. This should be very straight forward. Good luck finding someone who can override "computer says no!"
Thanks!

But it was the ticketing desk who said "no". In which case it is most likely they actually cannot be married.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 6:29 am

Aeroplan Stopover Pricing

Hi,

I am trying to book the following one way flight with a stopover in business class.

July 19th: Toronto to Munich AC834
July 20th: Munich to Split OU4439
Stopover Split
July 22nd Split to Zurich OU462

Based on the routing and mileage that I calculated that it should be 75000 points (70000+5000 stopover). However, when I call the Aeroplan centre to book it, they price it as 85000 points as they add each leg separately. Can someone please confirm if it should be 75000 or 85000 to book this itinerary? Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.