Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2021, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Wouldnt the whole thing get repriced with new points required? (including the 500k needed to SYD?)
I tried something similar recently for a trip to South Africa - adding a leg to CPT after a stopover in Europe. Was told it would be the 5K + REPRICING in points for the (combined original segment + new segment) . Just booked it as separate trips. YMMV as the whole stopover booking process is a shambles still.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by robsaw
I tried something similar recently for a trip to South Africa - adding a leg to CPT after a stopover in Europe. Was told it would be the 5K + REPRICING in points for the (combined original segment + new segment) . Just booked it as separate trips. YMMV as the whole stopover booking process is a shambles still.
Thanks for the confirmation.

There should be no repricing unless there are AC flights involved, correct?
In theory an all-partner itinerary should be the same price in points?

As for the stopover booking for 5000 points and things pricing out right online - its now been 5 months, and it hasnt happened, going by past dealings with this airline - it will never happen.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
There should be no repricing unless there are AC flights involved, correct?
In theory an all-partner itinerary should be the same price in points?
If the AC flights are being repriced, then I wonder if that also means there would need to be I availability for partner segments. Anyone been through that yet?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by robsaw
So, so I understand this properly....

My flight is YOW-YVR-SYD all on AC.

I want to add SYD-PER after a stop over in SYD.

I don't need/want to change anything about the AC flights, just add a Virgin Oz flight to make a stopover.

Do I understand correctly, that even with no changes to my AC flights, they would get repriced?
Old Mar 7, 2021, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by YOWRON

Do I understand correctly, that even with no changes to my AC flights, they would get repriced?
The AC flight would be repriced as the "points" required are calculated on the COMPLETE trip + any applicable stopover add-on points (at least that is what I was told).
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:00 pm

Here is the link re changes:

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/.../covid-19.html
Aeroplan flight rewards booked through April 30, 2021 can be changed or cancelled free of charge. If you'd like to cancel any flight reward, the fastest way to do so is right here at aircanada.com.
  • For changes, you’ll pay only the difference in points, or receive a partial refund if your new itinerary requires fewer points. A difference in taxes, fees and surcharges may apply when changing your itinerary.
I think your change will put your trip across the 11,000 mile threshold, so it will be repriced on that basis alone.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by kalderlake
I think your change will put your trip across the 11,000 mile threshold, so it will be repriced on that basis alone.
^ winner, winner, boxed-chicken-wrap dinner.

YOW-YVR-SYD - 9,710 miles
YOW-YVR-SYD-PER - 12,011 miles
Old Mar 8, 2021, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by YOWgary

I guess I am better off keeping what have, and using cash to get oi Perth.

Thanks for sharing your views.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 7:44 am

I guess I am better off keeping what have, and using cash to get oi Perth.
Depends what your newly-quoted miles price is, and whether you're planning to fly J or Y. Consider that SYD-Per round-trip is going to run you ~$500 CAD for Y, or ~$1,900 in J on Virgin (narrowbody recliner) or >$4,000 in pods on Qantas.

Another option might be to fly YOW-YVR-SYD-PER as planned, but fly home on a cheaper (almost)-all-partner routing. I prefer PER-SIN-TPE-YYZ-YOW on this route, and you've got plenty of time to wait for Singapore to start releasing award space again. Before the world ended, PER-SIN was nearly almost always available in J.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:13 am

Depends what your newly-quoted miles price is, and whether you're planning to fly J or Y. Consider that SYD-Per round-trip is going to run you ~$500 CAD for Y, or ~$1,900 in J on Virgin (narrowbody recliner) or >$4,000 in pods on Qantas.

Another option might be to fly YOW-YVR-SYD-PER as planned, but fly home on a cheaper (almost)-all-partner routing. I prefer PER-SIN-TPE-YYZ-YOW on this route, and you've got plenty of time to wait for Singapore to start releasing award space again. Before the world ended, PER-SIN was nearly almost always available in J.
Thanks for the above.

Flying J to Sydney. Well, the wife is. I'm Eco to YVR then J to Sydney. Will use cash to get from PER to Singapore as well. Then hoping to carry on round the rest of the planet on a boat. But yes, I have been monitoring availability daily for months. Kuala Lumpur almost daily, has multiple seats all the way in J. Occasionally same thing for Singapore.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:55 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
If you have BA miles, it's very easy to use them to get around within Australia on Qantas. Short-haul is a great deal (6K+$40), and SYD-PER is only 13k + $40 for economy. Excellent J availability too and it's pretty cheap as well. I've got a RBC BA Visa card, but I get most of my BA miles by converting from Amex MR.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 10:40 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Have a similar SYD-PER (and onward home) leg to add to a booked flight. The difference may be if you have a "priority reward" attached to the booking and are therefore getting it half price. Then it might be worth chaining them together even with some repricing rather than creating a new separate booking for the legs past SYD.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 6:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Just got off the phone with Aeroplan. I had booked some reasonable itineraries, and wanted to throw SFO-IAD in Y on one, and LAX-SFO in Y on another.

The agent said UA Y is not combinable with my F/J "fares" (they used that word, which I don't recall ever hearing from Aeroplan in the past).

The bookings have no AC metal.

I suspect it's a HUCA situation, but wow this is annoying.

The website won't return reasonable results, and a bunch of phone agents seem incapable of piecing things together.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:08 am

Supplementary question, if I may.....

If, rather than trying to stopover en route to PER....

How would Aeroplan deal with a request to add a stopover to BNE instead?

We have YOW-YVR-SYD already booked. I presume that BNE would not take us over the 11,000 mile mark. Would they still insist on re-pricing the YOW-SYD legs?
Thanks....
Old Mar 10, 2021, 6:48 am

How would Aeroplan deal with a request to add a stopover to BNE instead?

We have YOW-YVR-SYD already booked. I presume that BNE would not take us over the 11,000 mile mark. Would they still insist on re-pricing the YOW-SYD legs?
Thanks....
As I understand the rules, any AC-metal segments are subject to re-pricing when you change an award, but I don't have personal data points yet on which to base any more detailed advice.

YOW-YVR-SYD-BNE clocks in at 10,409 so you should be fine there.

Worth noting that SYD-BNE on its own should only cost 8,000 points on its own in Economy, and since adding a stop-over at SYD is going to cost you 5,000 whether the rest of the award reprices or not, you may be better off just booking that BNE leg separately anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.