Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Would SYD-HND-BKK (stop)-AUH-YYZ be a valid routing?
Should be!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Should be!
Considering booking it for October but a bit risky with COVID these days.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Should be!
Just booked it after calling in. Took less than 10 minutes for the agent to do everything. Paid 105k in J + 5K for the stopover in BKK.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YYZ1313
Just booked it after calling in. Took less than 10 minutes for the agent to do everything. Paid 105k in J + 5K for the stopover in BKK.
Congrats!
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:47 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Mods feel free to move if deemed not appropriate here;

Trying to book a round trip YVR - TOS in March. I believe that there are SAS flights from both OSL and CPH to TOS daily (from looking @ flightconnections)
Searching the AC site for both cash / points fares, I get an error message and no results.
Also tried using Cowtool but no results.

Anyone know the reason for this? Best to book YVR - OSL or YVR - CPH and then call and try to add the segment to TOS after?

Last edited by CanadianMike; Feb 10, 2022 at 12:40 am
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:11 am

Hey everyone,

Looking for advice for booking trip to Athens.

I'm starting from YVR-ATH
AC has the quickest flights but also most expensive. YVR-YYZ-ATH at 107k points.

then coming back ATH-YEG.
Found ATH-VIE-YYZ-YEG seems to be an ok deal at roughly 90k? Would VIE in this case be considered the stop over?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:34 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Mods feel free to move if deemed not appropriate here;

Trying to book a round trip YVR - TOS in March. I believe that there are SAS flights from both OSL and CPH to TOS daily (from looking @ flightconnections)
Searching the AC site for both cash / points fares, I get an error message and no results.
Also tried using Cowtool but no results.

Anyone know the reason for this? Best to book YVR - OSL or YVR - CPH and then call and try to add the segment to TOS after?
Gonna guess there's just no award space on the TOS legs for the date(s) you're looking at.

Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milkushaku
Hey everyone,

Looking for advice for booking trip to Athens.

I'm starting from YVR-ATH
AC has the quickest flights but also most expensive. YVR-YYZ-ATH at 107k points.

then coming back ATH-YEG.
Found ATH-VIE-YYZ-YEG seems to be an ok deal at roughly 90k? Would VIE in this case be considered the stop over?
As long as you're staying in Vienna less than 24hrs it's just a connection/layover, just like YYZ.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:18 am

Would IAD-AUH-MLE(stop)-SIN-DPS(destination) be valid routing? I'll break this up if I have to, but planning on taking the first two segments on EY in F, and last two segments on SQ in Y.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YOWflyer81
Would IAD-AUH-MLE(stop)-SIN-DPS(destination) be valid routing? I'll break this up if I have to, but planning on taking the first two segments on EY in F, and last two segments on SQ in Y.
The only rules appear to be:

1) Has to be less than 2x direct distance
2) NA-Europe has to be via Atlantic
3) NA-Middle East has to be via Atlantic
4) Has to be less than 8 (I think?) segments
5) Can only contain one stopover for 5k extra
6) Can't go through the same airport twice
YOWflyer81 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 1:01 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Gonna guess there's just no award space on the TOS legs for the date(s) you're looking at.
Hmm, I tried several dates but could be that for sure.
Strangely, it gave an error and didn't show any results for YVR - TOS searching cash fares either though.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
The only rules appear to be:

1) Has to be less than 2x direct distance
2) NA-Europe has to be via Atlantic
3) NA-Middle East has to be via Atlantic
4) Has to be less than 8 (I think?) segments
5) Can only contain one stopover for 5k extra
6) Can't go through the same airport twice
To the extent that you, or someone else, has a good handle on these rules, perhaps they should be posted in a wiki (which can be created by anyone with 90 days and 90 posts on FT)?
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
To the extent that you, or someone else, has a good handle on these rules, perhaps they should be posted in a wiki (which can be created by anyone with 90 days and 90 posts on FT)?
I was quoting from here, which is a link that should definitely be in the Wiki, as well as some highlights/main restrictions which I've summarized some of in my post. It's likely not exhausting and I'm not 100% that "2x direct distance" is actually a firm rule, but it's definitely more allowance than what MPM used to be under the old program.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:48 pm

I need some advice here. My goal is to go from yyz to han (5 pax) on J so limiting the options. I found yyz (Y)-iad (J)-auh (J)-sin (Y)-han (12,461 mi). With a layover in SIN, the number of points should be 105K + 5K = 110K/pax. Is this correct even though the yyz-iad on AC is dynamic pricing? I’m not able to price this on AC.com so it’s an assumption until I call them.

Since both the yyz-iad and sin-han legs are in Y, I was hoping to drop the sin-han leg to go below the 11,001 level / 85K pts band and pay for that leg separately for 12.5K in Y. If my math is correct, it will then be 85K + 12.5K = 97.5K (instead of 110K).

Unfortunately, yyz-iad-auh-sin comes out to 11,090 mi… Are they very strict with these bands? If I drop the yyz-iad leg, too, then I’ll not really save much from the original itinerary.

Any other options?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FFSaver
I need some advice here. My goal is to go from yyz to han (5 pax) on J so limiting the options. I found yyz (Y)-iad (J)-auh (J)-sin (Y)-han (12,461 mi). With a layover in SIN, the number of points should be 105K + 5K = 110K/pax. Is this correct even though the yyz-iad on AC is dynamic pricing? I’m not able to price this on AC.com so it’s an assumption until I call them.

Since both the yyz-iad and sin-han legs are in Y, I was hoping to drop the sin-han leg to go below the 11,001 level / 85K pts band and pay for that leg separately for 12.5K in Y. If my math is correct, it will then be 85K + 12.5K = 97.5K (instead of 110K).

Unfortunately, yyz-iad-auh-sin comes out to 11,090 mi… Are they very strict with these bands? If I drop the yyz-iad leg, too, then I’ll not really save much from the original itinerary.

Any other options?
YYZ-JFK-AUH is exactly 200mi shorter than YYZ-IAD-AUH.......... The bands are automatic, so yes, very strict. Sometimes there's minor differences between gcmap and AC internal systems, but not usually that much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.