Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments After Booking (Aeroplan 2.0)

Complex Multi-City Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments After Booking (Aeroplan 2.0)

Old Jan 29, 22, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1k MM;*A Lifetime Gold; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; HiltonHonors Gold. Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
This happened to me too this week. I gave up all hope, the agent called for help, and voila, it magically priced - she even found a better AC connector flight an hour earlier on YYZ-YUL for a few less points.

I cant really blame the agents (especially the newer ones) for not knowing anything, seems like higher value redemptions are not in the best interest to AC to train agents on (or build a booking engine for)
Yay!! Glad you got it fixed! It shouldn't be this hard!! But, at least there are two more agents who now know about stopover awards and how to ticket them!
Old Jan 29, 22, 12:22 pm

Got an agent who was able to book the following on the first try! Was worried I would have to make several attempts to make the booking at the right price. Came out to 30k AP + $203 in taxes and fees.

Air Transportation Charges in points: Included Partner Booking Fee(DU) 39.00 CAD Taxes, Fees and Charges: Airport Service Charge - Cyprus(CY) 27.90 CAD International Passenger Terminal Facilities Charge - Cyprus(JW) 5.30 CAD Passenger Service Charge - Cyprus(JX) 1.20 CAD Service Charge at Cairo Airport - Egypt(EQ) 2.50 CAD Quarantine Fees - Egypt(F7) 2.80 CAD Departure Service Fee - Egypt(O2) 1.20 CAD CUTE/CUPPS fee - Egypt(O9) 1.30 CAD Airport Service Charge - Kuwait(GZ) 4.20 CAD Transfer Fee - Kuwait(L2) 4.20 CAD Passenger Service Charge - Kuwait(YX) 1.00 CAD Passenger Service Fee - Bahrain(BH) 23.70 CAD Passenger Facility Fee - Bahrain(HM) 1.70 CAD Airport Building Charge – Saudi Arabia(IO) 29.50 CAD Airport Building Charge – Saudi Arabia(IO) 29.50 CAD International Advanced Passenger Information Fee - United Arab Emirates(ZR) 1.70 CAD Airport Departure Tax – Kuwait(N4) 21.00 CAD Security Charges - Saudi Arabia(E3) 5.40 CAD Total paid in monetary value: 203.10 CAD Total paid in points: 30000 Points
unclepants likes this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks for all the input to this thread it's been really useful.

Due to booking windows, wanting to lock in flights early, and not appreciating the stopover benefits I currently have two bookings... ORD-LHR for 70K and London-Sydney for 100K. It seems the best use of miles would be a NA-Pacific award with a stopover in London, coming to 105K plus 5K.

I know I can't combine PNRs, but if I find the right agent am I right in thinking I could (a) cancel the ORD-LHR booking entirely (b) change my LHR-SYD to add a new ORD-LHR and a stopover? I note some reports here that adding sectors can be problematic. My ORD-LHR is currently via Canada with long transits and it's likely a more direct option will open up anyways closer to the date. Could I even upgrade the TATL sector to include ORD-FRA-LHR on LH F? The F award price still brings it well under the 170K I'm currently paying for two awards.
Old Feb 1, 22, 6:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Segment by segment Aeroplan booking

Hi all, I see this topic has been discussed but the last thread I found was in 2019 with the answer to call again when an agent says they can not piece together flights. Has anyone had success lately?

Essentially, building itineraries within flight rules and selecting specific flights. In my example today I wanted to take an early flight that had availability however was told by one agent that this is no longer possible as of November 2021. I called in again and the next agent was having issues searching before accidentally hanging up on me

Has anyone had any luck lately or can confirm this Nov 2021 change? I have been booking complex routes like this for over 10 years and even a couple since the new Air Canada reacquisition and changes. It's been difficult at times in the past to get the right agent but this feels different.

Let me know!

Shaun

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 1, 22 at 7:20 pm
Old Feb 1, 22, 7:38 pm

Programs: AC SE-MM
Originally Posted by lifeintrips View Post
Hi all, I see this topic has been discussed but the last thread I found was in 2019 with the answer to call again when an agent says they can not piece together flights. Has anyone had success lately?

Essentially, building itineraries within flight rules and selecting specific flights. In my example today I wanted to take an early flight that had availability however was told by one agent that this is no longer possible as of November 2021. I called in again and the next agent was having issues searching before accidentally hanging up on me

Has anyone had any luck lately or can confirm this Nov 2021 change? I have been booking complex routes like this for over 10 years and even a couple since the new Air Canada reacquisition and changes. It's been difficult at times in the past to get the right agent but this feels different.

Let me know!

Shaun
Maybe try this link to the post 3 below this one.

Mods may want to merge these
Old Feb 1, 22, 7:46 pm

Let me know!

Shaun
Unfortunately I think that HUCA is the best option, though I haven't tried recently.

Welcome to FT.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 1, 22 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 1, 22, 7:49 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Unfortunately I think that HUCA is the best option, though I haven't tried recently.

Welcome to FT.
Thanks. Really hoping to hear from someone who has had recent success. I will keep calling in meantime and update if successful.
painintheuk likes this.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 1, 22 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 1, 22, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Thanks. Really hoping to hear from someone who has had recent success. I will keep calling in meantime and update if successful.
There's a person in this thread a couple pages back who booked something like BKK-HND-LHR-FRA-ORD-AUS as a single oneway and if that showed up on the website I'll eat my hat.

I've personally also had success just adding a single segment to an existing booking, which is basically the same thing as feeding all the segments, and that was just about... Two weeks ago.
Old Feb 2, 22, 4:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Out of curiosity - despite stopover rules being relatively generous, backtracking is never allowed, right? so something like DOH-ADD-WDH, stop, WDH-ADD-ZNZ?
Old Feb 2, 22, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Out of curiosity - despite stopover rules being relatively generous, backtracking is never allowed, right? so something like DOH-ADD-WDH, stop, WDH-ADD-ZNZ?
You cant pass the same city (country I think even?) twice on a one way on either side of the stopover.
Even if allowed, this would be way more than 2x the direct distance DOH-ZNZ.
Old Feb 2, 22, 7:37 am

I called three times last month, and each time the agent entered the six-flight itinerary as I'd prepared it, without a problem.

I gave them the cities and dates, then the flights, then they told me what the computer had to say re price.

I'm 25k, and I don't know if that makes any difference as to agent experience, etc.

But each call was perfect.
Old Feb 2, 22, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, AC35k
Originally Posted by kalderlake View Post
I called three times last month, and each time the agent entered the six-flight itinerary as I'd prepared it, without a problem.
I gave them the cities and dates, then the flights, then they told me what the computer had to say re price.
Same experience. I've found recently that the agents get overwhelmed and less likely to try if you go flight by flight, but more willing to input multicity in chunks.
like instead of YYZ-YUL and then YUL-ZRH, tell them YYZ-ZRH and say I'd like the one via Montreal at 13:00.

The second part of your statement is important - computer will (or will not) price it out. If it does, fantastic, it means the agent entered the flights correctly. If it doesn't - good luck convincing the agent that the computer is wrong - or more likely scenario they inputted it incorrectly.

Basically its a game of see what you can get the computer to say yes to. Obviously AC likes that the more complex itineraries are as hassle to book, and has still not provided a functioning booking engine promised over a year ago on purpose.

And no it doesnt matter what your status. Same experiences with SE/E35/regular number. The only difference is wait time.
unclepants likes this.
Old Feb 3, 22, 10:20 am
zam

Double millage rule

Does anyone have experience that indicates whether the pricing system checks each leg as the trip progresses to determine if it is going to start pricing a new direction - or does it look ahead and allow it as long as the double mileage rule is not broken at the final destination. In other words, for trip A-B-C-D (stop) - E-F-G. At points E and F the total mileage flow to that point exceeds 2X the direct mileage between A-E and A-F respectively, but by G, the total mileage flown is less than twice the sum of all the segments flown. Will this price as one direction with a 5K stopover at D or break into two separately priced directions at D?
thanks!!
Old Feb 3, 22, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by zam View Post
Does anyone have experience that indicates whether the pricing system checks each leg as the trip progresses to determine if it is going to start pricing a new direction - or does it look ahead and allow it as long as the double mileage rule is not broken at the final destination. In other words, for trip A-B-C-D (stop) - E-F-G. At points E and F the total mileage flow to that point exceeds 2X the direct mileage between A-E and A-F respectively, but by G, the total mileage flown is less than twice the sum of all the segments flown. Will this price as one direction with a 5K stopover at D or break into two separately priced directions at D?
thanks!!
It should. There's nothing inherently "wrong" with flying, say, BOS-ORD-JFK-TYO, and BOS-ORD-JFK would DEFINITELY be a terrible way to go about flying BOS-JFK.
Old Feb 3, 22, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Pricing isn't done until the itinerary is built.

Search this Thread