Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flyingbunny88
Anybody has an idea of when specifically the new booking system allows us to book multicity / stopovers online ourselves?
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
Valid routing?

Hi All,
Under the new rules, would this be a valid routing YYZ-FRA-CAI (stop)-IST-KUL(destination) a one way in business class at 85000 plus 5000 for the stop in Cairo?
Thanks!
Old Feb 3, 2021, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by triptastic
Hi All,
Under the new rules, would this be a valid routing YYZ-FRA-CAI (stop)-IST-KUL(destination) a one way in business class at 85000 plus 5000 for the stop in Cairo?
Thanks!

Valid routing yes. I used to takes the long way round all the time before. It cost me 77,500 miles

But with the new program in business it’s gonna cost you 105,000 + 5,000 for the stopover. Sweet spots still exist but this one is closed. I glad I made the most of it while it was open.
Old Feb 11, 2021, 8:22 am

Book one-way international then add segment with stopover.

Understanding that I'll have to phone in to incorporate an international reward stopover; would it be better to book the 1st segment to the stopover point (I want to make sure I can snag business class on the partner on this route) online and then when the next segment becomes available, call-in to add segment with stopover and re-price the reward - OR - is the competence of the system and agents questionable enough to rather wait and book both segments and the stopover all in one go on the phone?

I'm presuming that based upon what I see with current on-line availability/points requirements that I'll save 20-30K points per person by booking as stopover vs independent bookings.
Old Feb 16, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Hello! I'm new to all of this and I'm learning the ins and outs of the new Aeroplan program. Would the following RTW itinerary be possible? I'm planning long-term for 2022. I know that Air Canada's website doesn't allow for stopover bookings at the moment but they plan on implementing it soon.
  • Toronto (YYZ) to Jakarta (CGK) as the destination.
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Frankfurt (FRA)
    • Stopover (2-3 days) in Istanbul (IST)
    • Fly via Lufthansa to Frankfurt and Istanbul and then Turkish Airlines to Jakarta.
  • Jakarta (CGK) to Toronto (YYZ) to come back home.
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Taipei (TPE)
    • Stopover (2-3 days) in Tokyo (NRT)
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Vancouver (YVR) and then home to Toronto (YYZ).
    • Fly via EVA Air to Taipei and Tokyo. Then ANA to Vancouver and Air Canada back to Toronto.
I want to do this in business class, so it would be 170,000 + 5000 + 5000 (for each stopover) in Aeroplan points. Each one-way flight is just under the 11,000 mile threshold. Assuming all the airline connections work, would I be allowed to book this with multiple Star Alliance airlines? And if I can, how early should I book this for an October-November 2022 trip to ensure business class availability?
xxxje likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:53 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Norexan
Hello! I'm new to all of this and I'm learning the ins and outs of the new Aeroplan program. Would the following RTW itinerary be possible? I'm planning long-term for 2022. I know that Air Canada's website doesn't allow for stopover bookings at the moment but they plan on implementing it soon.
  • Toronto (YYZ) to Jakarta (CGK) as the destination.
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Frankfurt (FRA)
    • Stopover (2-3 days) in Istanbul (IST)
    • Fly via Lufthansa to Frankfurt and Istanbul and then Turkish Airlines to Jakarta.
  • Jakarta (CGK) to Toronto (YYZ) to come back home.
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Taipei (TPE)
    • Stopover (2-3 days) in Tokyo (NRT)
    • Layover (<24 hours) in Vancouver (YVR) and then home to Toronto (YYZ).
    • Fly via EVA Air to Taipei and Tokyo. Then ANA to Vancouver and Air Canada back to Toronto.
I want to do this in business class, so it would be 170,000 + 5000 + 5000 (for each stopover) in Aeroplan points. Each one-way flight is just under the 11,000 mile threshold. Assuming all the airline connections work, would I be allowed to book this with multiple Star Alliance airlines? And if I can, how early should I book this for an October-November 2022 trip to ensure business class availability?
It should work but the only thing you missed is that the YVR-YYZ on AC is dynamically priced based on what flight you choose so it won't be fixed like under the old program.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
It should work but the only thing you missed is that the YVR-YYZ on AC is dynamically priced based on what flight you choose so it won't be fixed like under the old program.
Great, thank you so much! I did a bit more poking around and I might swap out Taipei for Seoul as a layover as the connection with Asiana is timed more conveniently to let me explore that city for a bit.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by Norexan
Great, thank you so much! I did a bit more poking around and I might swap out Taipei for Seoul as a layover as the connection with Asiana is timed more conveniently to let me explore that city for a bit.
by having a leg with AC, it might be harder to secure business class for all of your legs.

I think that i've read somewhere that an AC executive mentioning that for a business ticket involving only partners, one can still call in later on and swap the leg to business if I class becomes available.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by aznfreak007
by having a leg with AC, it might be harder to secure business class for all of your legs.

I think that i've read somewhere that an AC executive mentioning that for a business ticket involving only partners, one can still call in later on and swap the leg to business if I class becomes available.
Thanks. I've got a long time to figure out all the details. I did some sample searches on AC's site for one way flights from HND to YYZ and I found a route that was HND>YVR>YYC>YYZ, all in business class for 75K points except for the short YVR>YYC leg, and that would work fine for me. This RTW leg has Tokyo as the stopover as the whole flight is CGK>YYZ, so I'm not quite sure how that would work as AC's site isn't set up to allow for stopover booking yet. Heck who knows, maybe ANA will launch a non-stop HND>YYZ route before I go, making the whole issue moot!
Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:17 pm

Do ANA still fly TYO-NYC direct?

That might be another option to avoid as much variable pricing as possible--plus it gives you the opportunity to spend -24 hours in NYC, which is, in my opinion, one of the best things about mRTWs.
Old Feb 21, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: AA platinum , Hyatt Explorist, Marriott platinum , SPG Gold , Hilton Diamond
I am confused ! I booked MLE - Del (stop over ) - HND-ORD for 105k miles (business)

Today I called to change this flight to
IAD-AUH-MLE ( stop over ) - del - business
Agent is asking for 130k miles stating mle to del has to separate award. I cant do stop over in MLE because this is not logical and father then del

Is this true or shall I try HUCA ?

Thanks
Old Feb 23, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott Platinum
Is multi-city still not working properly? If I price out (what should be) a simple multi city itinerary (YOW-YYC; YVR-YOW) in J, the price it presents seems to have no relation whatsoever to the price of the individual segments. I’d book as individual segments but was planning on using a priority reward (and don’t want to use 2). The pricing error is consistent whether I select priority rewards or not.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan
What constitutes a 'change'?

Please excuse me if I am posting this in the wrong place.....

I want to go to Australia, stopover in Sydney, then continue on with Virgin Australia to Perth. Had to book the Vancouver to Sydney portion as soon as they came available, otherwise prices in points would have been nuts.

However, the Virgin Australia rewards don't become available until a few weeks after AC long haul becomes available. So my question is.....

Once Sydney to Perth is available, if I call Aeroplan, will they add that leg as 'change', thereby no additional charge apart from the extra 5k points per seat?

Thanks in advance...
Ronnie
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Wouldnt the whole thing get repriced with new points required? (including the 500k needed to SYD?)
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I don't know. That's why I'm asking. When the time comes, I'll call in and see what they have to say.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.