Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 4:24 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by outlawashere
The issue is not the amount of segments but rather the inability to see or book partner award tickets with AC (P) flights included in them.

You have repeatedly stated that the community's issue with ticketing is a result of the agents' lack of understanding of the program (telling them that they dont know the program serves no purpose when we need something from them); that may be so, however, if we can't identify the issue, we dont stand a chance in being able to extract the maximum value out of our points.
Cow's done a little bit of volunteer service to the FT community already, particularly in the area of helping everyone extract maximum value out of their points.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Cow's done a little bit of volunteer service to the FT community already, particularly in the area of helping everyone extract maximum value out of their points.
Understatement of the day! He's built a better award search tool than AC itself... For free!
yyznomad, milesforhire and fbrdky like this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 9:41 am

Programs: IC SpAmb, SPG/Marr Plat, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Does anyone have experience with changing an Aeroplan award booking after travel commences under the new Aeroplan?

My current itinerary has an AC segment so any changes I make today would make my entire itinerary subject to repricing due to dynamic pricing. If I were to wait until my first flights with AC were completed and then call Aeroplan to make changes to flights that are after my stopover, how does Aeroplan reprice the new itinerary assuming the changes were all with partner airlines? I assume in this case, they wouldn’t reprice my already flown AC segment and any points difference will simply be related to the partner airlines and changes in routing I make? Is my understanding correct?
Old Oct 19, 2021, 4:45 pm

I'm having a similar issue pricing partner awards combined with AC.

Have a LIS-YYZ-CUN currently booked all on AC metal. Trying to change dates to LIS-YYZ (TP)-CUN (AC) with no X/I availability on the AC segment (not sure yet if that affects it). The agent said the system won't price it out and it can't be booked. Both segments can be priced/booked alone but she couldn't book them together so I would have to pay the price of 2 separate awards.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:36 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by outlawashere
Hi all, I have been able to stitch together YVR-TPE-ICN-SIN on a partner award; ticketed as (I) class. However, I am still having difficulties adding YHZ-YVR at the beginning on the segment, I am being told because AC flights are being classed as P, the segment can't be combined with a I partner award ticket. Is anyone else having the same issue with combining AC segments with partner award tickets?

Why are AC flights being coded as P? Is it a glitch or is this the new norm to prevent combination of award partner ticket with AC segments?
So, it seems to me there's a bunch of different booking classes, I can only assume that has to do with the formerly known as market fare/fixed price. Those don't exist in a published way for AC flights anymore, but I think in practice they basically still exist.

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
​​​​​​
Not a large sample, but looking at the award tickets I have booked with mixed AC and partners, the AC flights are X or I whenever the partner is I.

Maybe there is no mixing of "fixed" (X, I) and "market fare" (P, etc) segments?
I THINK this is what's going on. The problem is, while X and I still exist, there isn't really a way to SEARCH for them. I just signed up for EF again to try and figure a little stuff out this past week, can't search them there anymore either. I suppose the solution to searching would be use the UA search and just search for AC segments 1 by 1 and make sure they're in the saver level. The fact that AC undercuts that level may make things complicated though. I've had multiple searches (via cowtool or AC) that come up as lower than the partner price and IIRC even some that've come up as lower than the AC published range.

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Understatement of the day! He's built a better award search tool than AC itself... For free!
It's def my new go-to search engine.

Originally Posted by bcnfish
I'm having a similar issue pricing partner awards combined with AC.

Have a LIS-YYZ-CUN currently booked all on AC metal. Trying to change dates to LIS-YYZ (TP)-CUN (AC) with no X/I availability on the AC segment (not sure yet if that affects it). The agent said the system won't price it out and it can't be booked. Both segments can be priced/booked alone but she couldn't book them together so I would have to pay the price of 2 separate awards.
This was the same experience I had with a couple different agents. One said you can't pick flights segment by segment, she was proven to be wrong. One agent just kept telling me that the flights weren't available, which I knew to be wrong.

I just double checked my recently made booking, all found via the cowtool/AC site, YVR-MEX-BOG-MDE, of course I never knew what the booking class of YVR-MEX would be, but I've checked the class and it's S. So clearly they are combinable as Cow said, maybe it's somehow not possible to CHANGE and mix? But you can definitely mix booking classes when booking online and over the phone, I can definitely confirm that.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I THINK this is what's going on. The problem is, while X and I still exist, there isn't really a way to SEARCH for them. I just signed up for EF again to try and figure a little stuff out this past week, can't search them there anymore either. I suppose the solution to searching would be use the UA search and just search for AC segments 1 by 1 and make sure they're in the saver level. The fact that AC undercuts that level may make things complicated though. I've had multiple searches (via cowtool or AC) that come up as lower than the partner price and IIRC even some that've come up as lower than the AC published range.

It's def my new go-to search engine.
I'm ignoring a lot of your post because it has a bunch of speculative and inaccurate information, but if you uncheck the "I'm booking through Aeroplan" box, it will only show flights that have X/I/O space (available to Aeroplan, it unfortunately doesn't quite do the partner search I want).
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Aeroplan redemption with stopover in YYZ?

Is it possible to book an aeroplan redemption from Athens to Toronto, 10 day over to SFO as a stopover?
Old Oct 22, 2021, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by auorab
Is it possible to book an aeroplan redemption from Athens to Toronto, 10 day over to SFO as a stopover?
Unfortunately, no Aeroplan redemption stopovers are allowed in North America.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 12:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by auorab
You could book this as a single multi-city award. Depending on dates, and whether you want business or economy, you might even find the extra leg to SFO doesn't cost THAT much more than the 5,000 points you'd have paid for the stopover, for example I'm seeing Economy legs YYZ-SFO for 10-12K next summer.
auorab and Adam Smith like this.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 4:59 pm

Yeah, I will have do something along those lines. The whole trip is as follows - for 2 adults, 2 kids

SJC - LHR - 4 day layover - ARN likely on BA 28,000 Avios & $131 pp - transferring miles from AMEX Platinum
ARN - HAM - 10 day stay - paid for with cash $89 pp on SAS
HAM to Greece - uncertain which island. paid for with cash
Greece to MUC paid for with cash
MUC to YYZ - 10 day stay 33,000 MileagePlus points + $107 pp
YYZ to SFO 12,000 MileagePlus points + $53 or $250 cash fare

I was posting here as initially I thought Aeroplan would be the best transfer option to make this all work, but after sorting through it all it doesn't seem like it is useful with the degraded value of the points. The YYZ to SFO leg with Aeroplan would be 15,7000 Aeroplan points + $68 Canadian. Debating adding on a small town connecting flight within Ontario, and that wouldn't change the MileagePlus redemption, but it would bring the Aeroplan award redemption to 24,000 Aeroplan points!

Last edited by auorab; Oct 22, 2021 at 5:09 pm
Old Oct 26, 2021, 1:57 pm

Anyone book a segment from Asia to North America with a segment on TK? I just tried to book TYO-IST-CDG (stopover), CDG-YUL-YYZ but it's pricing out at two one way segments because TK apparently or, IST as a layover doesn't play nice with the rest of the partner awards and it won't price it out as one. However, flying through PEK from Asia to Europe works. Is there some list of cities or airlines that people have found out that don't price as one one-way and a stopover?
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lordofthefart
Anyone book a segment from Asia to North America with a segment on TK? I just tried to book TYO-IST-CDG (stopover), CDG-YUL-YYZ but it's pricing out at two one way segments because TK apparently or, IST as a layover doesn't play nice with the rest of the partner awards and it won't price it out as one. However, flying through PEK from Asia to Europe works. Is there some list of cities or airlines that people have found out that don't price as one one-way and a stopover?
Currently stopovers can only be booked by calling in. If you received only 2 one way segment pricing from an agent for that routing, you'll likely likely need to HUCA.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:59 pm

I have booked EWR-IST-BOM on Turkish. Would I be able to add internal flight in India from BOM?
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by mak101
I have booked EWR-IST-BOM on Turkish. Would I be able to add internal flight in India from BOM?
SHOULD be as long as it doesn't put you over mileage and whatever, but also actually getting it done is another thing.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mak101
Do I have to call Air Canada to add extra lag on already booked ticket? Any tip which number to call and when?

I tried to view my reservation on Turkish, but it says
"This reservation cannot be viewed due to the sales channel where it was modified. You can apply to the channel on which you have arranged your reservation to make a transaction"
Is this common? do I need to worry about it?

Last edited by mak101; Oct 27, 2021 at 12:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.