Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complex Multi-City Points Bookings, Stopovers & Adding Segments (Aeroplan 2.0)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:11 pm

Stopover Addition

Was looking at flights for a trip and could not find any reasonable options on any airline. Ended up finding YVR-YUL-GRU for ~58k miles in J including Signature class on the YUL-GRU leg. Pretty wild considering economy was only 5k less. Booked right away and price went up 30k miles immediately after. It’s now 135k miles, so obviously can’t rebook, but I just found out about stopovers. I’m actually going to be traveling around a fair amount on SA anyways, so spending 5k miles on what would be a $300+ flight would be a huge bonus. Anyone know if there’s a pathway for me to add a stopover after booking? Also, is this typical redemption rates for J to SA? Cheapest economy I could find from my region aside from this flight on any airline was around 75k miles
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by CanyonHopper
Was looking at flights for a trip and could not find any reasonable options on any airline. Ended up finding YVR-YUL-GRU for ~58k miles in J including Signature class on the YUL-GRU leg. Pretty wild considering economy was only 5k less. Booked right away and price went up 30k miles immediately after. It’s now 135k miles, so obviously can’t rebook, but I just found out about stopovers. I’m actually going to be traveling around a fair amount on SA anyways, so spending 5k miles on what would be a $300+ flight would be a huge bonus. Anyone know if there’s a pathway for me to add a stopover after booking? Also, is this typical redemption rates for J to SA? Cheapest economy I could find from my region aside from this flight on any airline was around 75k miles
Adding a stop-over will result in re-pricing the entire trip, I believe, which will probably be less than desirable.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
If your flight includes AC segments, any in itinerary will trigger a reprice. Likely cheaper for you to just book the intra-regional flights separately in cash.
Old Mar 30, 2023, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by jskang07
Quick question for y’all.

Trying to book MRU - DXB - SEZ - AUH - LHR. Would this be a viable booking? I’d like to skip the DXB connection but I can’t find a direct flight between MRU and SEZ.

Would like to know if this is a viable award before I call in and wait couple of hours.

Thanks!
What carriers are involved..? Definitely don't skip anything on this one.. otherwise they'll just cancel the rest of the ticket lol.

Tough to say as it's like ping pong between your first 4 places.

No definitely not a typical redemption.. this would be the very low end of dynamic for SA.. I booked YVR-YOW-YUL-GRU-EZE.. and it was 65k on PY flex (That's NO dynamic) lol... so yours is definitely on the super low end haha

Sadly adding a stopover would reprice the whole thing.. and if you said it's already 135.. it could increase significantly.. as they would reprice the AC legs + 5k etc.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:33 pm

No definitely not a typical redemption.. this would be the very low end of dynamic for SA.. I booked YVR-YOW-YUL-GRU-EZE.. and it was 65k on PY flex (That's NO dynamic) lol... so yours is definitely on the super low end haha

Sadly adding a stopover would reprice the whole thing.. and if you said it's already 135.. it could increase significantly.. as they would reprice the AC legs + 5k etc.
Thanks for all the answers. Was expecting that but would’ve loved to take advantage and make the flight even more of a steal. Definitely not repricing any of the legs to add in the stopover.

It seemed like a wild price. I saw the flight from Montreal and was going to reposition, but from YVR was about the same. Don’t know how their algorithm popped that out

Last edited by CanyonHopper; Mar 31, 2023 at 5:53 pm
Old Mar 31, 2023, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by jskang07
Quick question for y’all.

Trying to book MRU - DXB - SEZ - AUH - LHR. Would this be a viable booking? I’d like to skip the DXB connection but I can’t find a direct flight between MRU and SEZ.

Would like to know if this is a viable award before I call in and wait couple of hours.

Thanks!
This is very unlikely to work connecting twice in the UAE. We flew this route on Air Austral for about $250 with a stopover in Reunion - which actually was a far more interesting island than either Mauritius or Seychelles (main island, not Praslin and La Digue - those are spectacular)
Air Austral doesnt sell J between MRU and RUN, if you check in first, you get the J seats for free.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by kangarooflyer88
That's correct and to further elaborate, if any part of your itinerary contains a segment operated by Air Canada, doesn't matter how big or small the segment is, a different set of routings rules apply where it must be ticketable as a normal cash fare. Any weird stopovers or routings simply can't be done when booked that way.
-RooFlyer88
Can someone explain how I find out if something is ticketable as a normal cash fare?

Went through the following with an agent:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-SIN (SQ)
SIN-PVG (SQ)

first 2 segments were fine, but could not book it with 3rd segment on same ticket.

Then tried:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-BKK (TG)
BKK-SIN (SQ)
SIN-PVQ (SQ)

first 2 segments were fine, but could not book with 3rd & fourth segment on same ticket

3rd try:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-BKK (TG)
CKK-TPE (TG)
TPE-PVG (BR)

This was finally successful.

Afterwards I tried to search for these as one-way cash fares on AC site and none work on its own:
SIN-PVG
BKK-SIN
BKK-PVG
BKK-TPE
TPE-PVG

I also tried to do a multi-city search:
YYZ-CPH
CPH-SIN / CPH-BKK

but using multi-city even the CPH-XXX flight segment couldn't be found?

I'm a bit confused how I can tell what is valid / is not valid when itinerary includes an AC segment
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by Elvasoshexai
Can someone explain how I find out if something is ticketable as a normal cash fare?

Went through the following with an agent:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-SIN (SQ)
SIN-PVG (SQ)

first 2 segments were fine, but could not book it with 3rd segment on same ticket.

Then tried:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-BKK (TG)
BKK-SIN (SQ)
SIN-PVQ (SQ)

first 2 segments were fine, but could not book with 3rd & fourth segment on same ticket

3rd try:
YYZ-CPH (AC)
CPH-BKK (TG)
CKK-TPE (TG)
TPE-PVG (BR)

This was finally successful.

Afterwards I tried to search for these as one-way cash fares on AC site and none work on its own:
SIN-PVG
BKK-SIN
BKK-PVG
BKK-TPE
TPE-PVG

I also tried to do a multi-city search:
YYZ-CPH
CPH-SIN / CPH-BKK

but using multi-city even the CPH-XXX flight segment couldn't be found?

I'm a bit confused how I can tell what is valid / is not valid when itinerary includes an AC segment
that's the beauty of it - you can't. All we know is 200% of origin-destination is the limit, and some basic routing rules like which oceans must be crossed.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:07 pm

I'm still within 24 hour free cancellation of this itinerary, 1 PNR with 4 segments / 3 connecting countries / 3 airlines. Booked this one a bit quick and wasn't as careful with planning the routing so having some doubts:

Day 1: YYZ-CPH (AC) 4hr layover
Day 2: CPH-BKK (TG) 2.5hr layover
Day 3: CKK-TPE (TG) 3.5hr layover
Day 3: TPE-PVG (BR)

Just to make sure I don't end up in a huge mess:
  1. Do I have to worry about checked luggage going to final destination on this itinerary (I don't think so since all *A and interline agreement exists between them)?
  2. How would check-in / boarding pass work for an itinerary like this with > 24 hours difference between the first and last flight? Do i just check-in once for my AC flight and then I'd get the boarding pass for all 4 segments? or would i have to check-in separately for all 4 segments and get boarding pass separately at the transfer desk at each connection?
  3. I don't intend to enter any of the 3 connecting countries so wasn't planning on getting visas for them. in case of any issues I won't be able to enter those countries. I'm sure people transit countries without having a visa all the time, but with this many segments would it be too risky an itinerary? I think at most I could get a visa on arrival at BKK.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
that's the beauty of it - you can't. All we know is 200% of origin-destination is the limit, and some basic routing rules like which oceans must be crossed.
What stopover city is allowed vs "computer says no and prices two one ways" also seems random.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm still within 24 hour free cancellation of this itinerary, 1 PNR with 4 segments / 3 connecting countries / 3 airlines. Booked this one a bit quick and wasn't as careful with planning the routing so having some doubts:

Day 1: YYZ-CPH (AC) 4hr layover
Day 2: CPH-BKK (TG) 2.5hr layover
Day 3: CKK-TPE (TG) 3.5hr layover
Day 3: TPE-PVG (BR)

Just to make sure I don't end up in a huge mess:
  1. Do I have to worry about checked luggage going to final destination on this itinerary (I don't think so since all *A and interline agreement exists between them)?
  2. How would check-in / boarding pass work for an itinerary like this with > 24 hours difference between the first and last flight? Do i just check-in once for my AC flight and then I'd get the boarding pass for all 4 segments? or would i have to check-in separately for all 4 segments and get boarding pass separately at the transfer desk at each connection?
  3. I don't intend to enter any of the 3 connecting countries so wasn't planning on getting visas for them. in case of any issues I won't be able to enter those countries. I'm sure people transit countries without having a visa all the time, but with this many segments would it be too risky an itinerary? I think at most I could get a visa on arrival at BKK.
Bags will be checked thru.
You may or may not get all boarding passes and may have to visit transfer desks en route, which if needed, should be easy enough, as all 3 cities have transfer areas.

YYZ-CPH has a 0% reliability and is always late, but hopefully not *that* late
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Bags will be checked thru.
You may or may not get all boarding passes and may have to visit transfer desks en route, which if needed, should be easy enough, as all 3 cities have transfer areas.

YYZ-CPH has a 0% reliability and is always late, but hopefully not *that* late
I think cph transfer desks are in Schengen area which I can't enter.

I read sometimes airlines might not have counter at transfer desk... Is this usually only an issue with lcc's? So I shouldn't have any issue with tg/Br at either cph or bkk?

Would I get denied boarding to a country I need a visa for if I don't have boarding pass for onward flight and only have itinerary/ticket? I.e Getting onto CPH-BKK flight without boarding pass from BKK-TPE or getting on BKK-TPE flight without having the TPE-PVG boarding pass?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think cph transfer desks are in Schengen area which I can't enter.
I read sometimes airlines might not have counter at transfer desk... Is this usually only an issue with lcc's? So I shouldn't have any issue with tg/Br at either cph or bkk?
Would I get denied boarding to a country I need a visa for if I don't have boarding pass for onward flight and only have itinerary/ticket? I.e Getting onto CPH-BKK flight without boarding pass from BKK-TPE or getting on BKK-TPE flight without having the TPE-PVG boarding pass?
BKK and TPE I can tell you for sure there wont be an issue. Especially sinve BKK is TG-TG, TPE is on BR, who will for sure have a desk.
CPH, you may need to read up on non-schengen transits, and how the airport is set up, if there is not a transfer desk, you can get your boarding pass at the TG gate (thats what we had to do in FRA, going AC->TG last year)
kalderlake and Elvasoshexai like this.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
BKK and TPE I can tell you for sure there wont be an issue. Especially sinve BKK is TG-TG, TPE is on BR, who will for sure have a desk.
CPH, you may need to read up on non-schengen transits, and how the airport is set up, if there is not a transfer desk, you can get your boarding pass at the TG gate (thats what we had to do in FRA, going AC->TG last year)
Good to know thanks!

Where did you check the flight history being late? When I looked it up on Google and a few flight stats sites, there was no history for this flight ac828. Only Mar 31 onwards.
Old Apr 1, 2023, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good to know thanks!

Where did you check the flight history being late? When I looked it up on Google and a few flight stats sites, there was no history for this flight ac828. Only Mar 31 onwards.
Expertflyer, but if the flight just restarted than no surprise its zero
Aircraft: 333
Frequency: M,T,Th,F,Sa
Reliability: 0% / 33m
CanadianMike and Elvasoshexai like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.