Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options? (new policy effective Q2 2021)

AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options? (new policy effective Q2 2021)

Old Sep 23, 22, 12:28 pm

Hi all,

I have a round trip to Tokyo booked with Aeroplan in J for next May 2023. The TPAC segments are on ANA. I booked this back in June (or more accurately changed my previous booking).

When I pulled up the booking on the ANA website at that time things seemed in order.

I pulled it up again yesterday when the news dropped that Japan was opening up to visa fee travel and I saw a notice under one of my segments (NH102 HND-IAD) that it was "Subject to Government Approval". Dug in a bit deeper and it looks like this route is currently suspended, and is due to return on Oct. 30, flying 3x a week - however not on the day of the week that my flight is currently booked on. Nothing on the AC website about this. It previously flew daily.

I am hoping that with the return of visa free travel to Japan this route goes back to normal operations, but if not just wondering what will happen in that worst case scenario.

I'm assuming that I'd get one of those dreaded "There has been a change in your itinerary" emails, but is there a chance I get rebooked on an alternate flight in J via Aeroplan? Or am I screwed.
Old Sep 24, 22, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold 75k, AC 75k, WN A+/CP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Question - AC canceled my desired YYZ>>SFO flight over christmas - they put me at the ungodly early flight from YOW to YYZ to connect for the 0800 - didnt want that.

I called - wanted 8010/765 via YUL and they said no since there was only Y class fares showing (Y9) on the CRJ hop to YUL - they refused to move me to that flight.

Is this a recent policy? I have alway had the option to move as long as the class of SERVICE is available....im 75k too.
Old Sep 24, 22, 10:59 am

Programs: AC S100K, SPG G, Hilton G,Nexus/GE, Amex MR Plat, Hyatt Plat,IHG Plat E
I have notification of a schedule change of 30 mins. One ticket is paid PE and the other is Aeroplan J. Its a round trip flight with a connection on the outbound. Does the 30 min change now allow me to change the entire itin assuming the origin and destination remain the same ? Or can I only change the leg that is impacted ? Or nothing at all. All I want to do is use a different connection city for the outbound and I do not want to pay for the privilege.
Last time this happened the agent insisted I could only touch the leg that was impacted and once I agreed it was final.
Old Sep 24, 22, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by isaacchambers View Post
Question - AC canceled my desired YYZ>>SFO flight over christmas - they put me at the ungodly early flight from YOW to YYZ to connect for the 0800 - didnt want that.

I called - wanted 8010/765 via YUL and they said no since there was only Y class fares showing (Y9) on the CRJ hop to YUL - they refused to move me to that flight.

Is this a recent policy? I have alway had the option to move as long as the class of SERVICE is available....im 75k too.
The policy definitely says "Rebook same booking code or up to M for Basic, Standard, Flex, comfort, and up to Y for Latitude". I can't find 10 year old policies, but it's been this way for at least 2.5 years.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 pm

Programs: Star alliance
Air Canada cancellation without hotel

Just curious if anyone has had luck with AC taking responsibility for impact of cancelled flights. Im flying PE from Denver to ICN over Thanksgiving, thru YVR, and they cancelled the morning Denver to YVR flight. They placed me on a flight that takes off the night before and leaves me stranded at the YVR airport from 9:30 pm until the ICN flight departs the next day at 12:45 pm. AC claims they can change the schedule 15 days before departure and I have to accept the impact or cancel the ticket and seek a refund. They also changed a flight on a trip to LIS in a few weeks, adding 5 hours to a layover. Im *alliance gold but these are my first AC flights. Not impressed.
Old Yesterday, 1:02 pm

Yes, and they've been great about it. I'm 75K so not sure if it impacts how I'm treated. However, they paid me within 5mins of sending in a request for an overnight stay on Sunday night.

Book the hotel yourself and put in the request. Keep it around $300/night if you can.

Lufthansa and other carriers on the otherhand... I've had difficulties getting full compensation, let alone getting it within a matter of two months.
Flyhigh123 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 1:16 pm

No experience with AC, but I did spend the night in the YVR airport and I can tell you it is bleak. We were in transit so couldn't get to the main area where shops and lounges were. Although, with your hours, they may not be open anyway. I only dropped in to let you know some things to check in case you do get stuck there. The hotel in the airport didn't have any thing but a full night rate which was in the $300 plus range. They finally opened up immigration and we got to the other side where there was a small but decent lounge. And then of course, that is where the flight delays started but that is another story.
Old Yesterday, 1:41 pm

I snared a hotel room for less than $200 near the airport. Not sure how or when to submit the receipt since I already spoke with an AC CSR that firmly told me they would not pay for a hotel room.
Old Yesterday, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Flyhigh123 View Post
Just curious if anyone has had luck with AC taking responsibility for impact of cancelled flights. I’m flying PE from Denver to ICN over Thanksgiving, thru YVR, and they cancelled the morning Denver to YVR flight. They placed me on a flight that takes off the night before and leaves me stranded at the YVR airport from 9:30 pm until the ICN flight departs the next day at 12:45 pm. AC claims they can change the schedule 15 days before departure and I have to accept the impact or cancel the ticket and seek a refund. They also changed a flight on a trip to LIS in a few weeks, adding 5 hours to a layover. I’m *alliance gold but these are my first AC flights. Not impressed.

That's the state of flying today unfortunately, most of my cancelled or changes flights I have been able to choose better routes. my Nov PSP flight has been changed five times and this latest change I have no choice and I am in a middle seat!

Vancouver has expensive hotels, but you can hop on the sky train to downtown Vancouver and also Richmond Centre so you have options for cheaper cabs/uber to different hotels and places to see.

This year I have had a YVR-DEN flight cancelled on me but AC threw me on a UA flight that is scheduled at the same time
Old Yesterday, 2:17 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by Flyhigh123 View Post
\AC claims they can change the schedule 15 days before departure and I have to accept the impact or cancel the ticket and seek a refund.
That's not really true. Have you looked at options to re-route? AC will want to try to keep you on AC metal across the Pacific, but there may be other options than overnighting at YVR. You haven't mentioned whether this a revenue ticket or a points ticket. There's more latitude if it's the former, as the latter may depend on finding reward space. If it's an Aeroplan ticket, space is not an issue on AC metal.

If the UA flight that @HerpaYvr mentioned is running on the day you were due to fly, that would be a relatively painless option. Depending on your dates, DEN-YYZ-ICN might work. Or you may be able to do something like DEN-SFO-YVR-ICN.

Do some research to see what else might be available, then call in and ask for it. I'm sure the FT community would be happy to provide feedback on your proposed options before you call.

They also changed a flight on a trip to LIS in a few weeks, adding 5 hours to a layover. Im *alliance gold but these are my first AC flights.
Again, you can ask for a re-route and potentially find something that works better for you.

Originally Posted by Nick0 View Post
Yes, and they've been great about it. I'm 75K so not sure if it impacts how I'm treated. However, they paid me within 5mins of sending in a request for an overnight stay on Sunday night.

Book the hotel yourself and put in the request. Keep it around $300/night if you can.

Lufthansa and other carriers on the otherhand... I've had difficulties getting full compensation, let alone getting it within a matter of two months.
With this being your first post, welcome to FT
Old Yesterday, 3:37 pm

Thx! It’s a paid ticket.
Old Yesterday, 11:31 pm

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but since it's an AP ticket that got impacted by cancellation I thought best to try here.

I have an award VCE-IST-ORD in 2 weeks, on TK, but looks like TK cancelled VCE-IST. I haven't received any notification from either TK or AC. AC PNR is still showing the cancelled TK leg, TK app just has the IST-ORD leg left.
I checked EF to confirm that the original flight I was booked on is no longer scheduled.

What are my options in this case? Changing to any available VCE-ORD award flight I assume is the minimum, but was just wondering whether there are other alternative options available I can explore.
I assume there should be no additional points/fees if I ask to be put on AC metal that is currently pricing out something outrageous?
I also assume that it's out of the question to get put on another TK VCE-IST flight that has no award availability?

The available award flights on my dates are also all not quite ideal, so also wanted to see is there any flexibility in terms of changing my destination, to perhaps end in YYZ or YUL instead?
Of course I can just cancel and rebook, but anything with AC at this point is sky high pricing, so wanted to see if they'd consider the reroute w/o re-price. I'm almost certain answer is no, but thought it was worth a ask.

FWIW, I need to eventually get back to YVR. Original trip involved going to ORD just because that was what was available in terms of awards. I had booked a separate flight back to YVR a day later.

TLDR: TK cancelled a segment on my AP award, what are the options available.

Search this Thread