Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2022, 10:58 am

Partner Airline Cancelled Flight

Hi gang! Sorry if this has been encountered before, but I can't seem to find it. I've got an Aeroplan points booking BER-FRA-YUL with the first leg on LH coming up next week and I just received a notice from Lufthansa that the original flight was cancelled. I assume this is part of their attempts to cut traffic to try to deal with the mess that is FRA these days. There is an earlier flight that day that shows lots of J open.

I see the flight (LH 175 on Jun 29) still exists on ExpertFlyer but is zeroed out in all Cabins. I'm waiting for a call back from Air Canada, but will they be able to see that it's cancelled and rebook, or is this something I should try to do with Lufthansa since they're the operating carrier? If the latter, how do I get my LH PNR?

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:13 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
You should deal with Aeroplan, not Air Canada.

Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to swap it out to the earlier flight, provided there is that partner space available as mentioned.

They will see it's cancelled when you tell them the PNR. No issues and no additional taxes or fees to be paid.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:14 am

Interestingly, when I check the booking on the AC website, I get a notification that "Your flight has been rescheduled. Please review the details below" but the details are the same as was originally booked, including the (now cancelled) LH flight.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: AC 75K
and for reference your LH locator will be the same as your AC one.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by loganre17
You should deal with Aeroplan, not Air Canada.
Ah yes, thanks. I'm more used to US airlines, where the FF is more integrated into the main operations/call center.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

YSB/YYZ cancellations

YSB has had,imho, a significant number of AC flights cancelled for various reasons. Delays are another PITA as well.
As many will know, much of my flying starts at YSB and connects through YYZ. As of yesterday , 5 flights in a row are cancelled, including all 3 r/t on June 25th and first. 2 of 3 flights today. Rebooking of flights , car rentals and hotels is time consuming and at times also expensive . 3rd and last flight today also delayed ( likely also cancelled if history plays out as before )

I have a dozen bookings on hand either in latitude Y or business J . What experience have you folks had with dropping segment 1 of 4 and 4 of 4 and using rest of ticket. Being proactive here imo by driving to YYZ and back. One way car rentals are n/a either as I tried that in April. That eventually was a 20 hour cnx to YSB. Things have gone downhill since then .

SE priority phone lines will help getting through to request changes. My Thursday pilgrimage to YLW includes Mrs. acysb87 on a AE J reward. That adds a further wrinkle.
Well aware of the drop a segment and whole itinerary gets scrubbed

Thank you all for the consideration of request for input

Now up to 6 flights in a row cancelled. It’s as if YSB being taken off the route map.

Last edited by acysb87; Jun 26, 2022 at 9:46 am
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by acysb87
YSB has had,imho, a significant number of AC flights cancelled for various reasons. Delays are another PITA as well.
As many will know, much of my flying starts at YSB and connects through YYZ. As of yesterday , 5 flights in a row are cancelled, including all 3 r/t on June 25th and first. 2 of 3 flights today. Rebooking of flights , car rentals and hotels is time consuming and at times also expensive . 3rd and last flight today also delayed ( likely also cancelled if history plays out as before )

I have a dozen bookings on hand either in latitude Y or business J . What experience have you folks had with dropping segment 1 of 4 and 4 of 4 and using rest of ticket. Being proactive here imo by driving to YYZ and back. One way car rentals are n/a either as I tried that in April. That eventually was a 20 hour cnx to YSB. Things have gone downhill since then .

SE priority phone lines will help getting through to request changes. My Thursday pilgrimage to YLW includes Mrs. acysb87 on a AE J reward. That adds a further wrinkle.
Well aware of the drop a segment and whole itinerary gets scrubbed

Thank you all for the consideration of request for input

Now up to 6 flights in a row cancelled. It’s as if YSB being taken off the route map.
If changing the booking(s) isn’t an issue for you then it’s probably a sensible plan. Porter might be an option to get to Toronto, but having to change airports would likely negate much of the gains over simply driving.

It does look like the number of cancellations to YSB is inordinately high!
Old Jun 26, 2022, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC SE line says they cannot cancel segment one without losing the u/gs on remaining segments that are upgraded.
IOWs, deal with it on 30 th. Sheesh!!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:51 pm

Date Change - why

Both my flight YYJ to SCL and the return EZE - YYJ have been changed.
Outbound the reason is clear, no flight on the day I booked. I would accept but layovers are only around an hour, which in January concerns me.
The return is strange. They shifted us a day later but the original flight still shows. Web won't give me a connection to Victoria other than a 14 hour layover. When I look at options it includes KLM and BA options which I have never seen before.
I can't phone as it is choked so will take a deep breath and hope it all makes more sense tomorrow. Maybe set an alarm to phone early.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 4:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by john2003
Both my flight YYJ to SCL and the return EZE - YYJ have been changed.
Outbound the reason is clear, no flight on the day I booked. I would accept but layovers are only around an hour, which in January concerns me.
The return is strange. They shifted us a day later but the original flight still shows. Web won't give me a connection to Victoria other than a 14 hour layover. When I look at options it includes KLM and BA options which I have never seen before.
I can't phone as it is choked so will take a deep breath and hope it all makes more sense tomorrow. Maybe set an alarm to phone early.
This itinerary is in January? I'd wait a few...months... and then call.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
This itinerary is in January? I'd wait a few...months... and then call.
I realize that even if I call it will change again.
It is the other bookings that cause a problem when we shift dates. If we head out a day later it will cost us more for two nights hotel than the three I have already booked. Not sure if they are like the airlines, if you don't show for night one they cancel the rest!!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Late flight change / mixed class

Just wanted to give some praise to AC !

I was booked on a CDG-YUL itinerary, when booking it was $500 less to book as CDG-YYZ-YUL, it meant I was arriving at 0735 to YUL the next day and an overnight in Toronto, which is nice as a day trip.

I got a schedule change email and couldnt see what had changed so I called them up on the UK number, and the change was it was now 0734 arrival !

As we all know any change entitles you to FOC reroute, so I got on the CDG-YUL direct one with no extra charge, so kudos to AC for doing that,

When I got the ticket through it says I am in mixed cabin, I booked as economy basic so not really sure what to expect, does anyone know how to maximise the potential of mixed class ?

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
From 2022 the schedule updates thread

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
The daytime LHR flights from YYZ are gone from the schedules. They were reinstated several months ago - I had two booked, but when checking my bookings last night I noticed one had switched to the latest overnight and the other had been cancelled with my points returned.
What’s the rule governing this? I can't see anything in the international tariff that permits automatic return of points on cancelled flights, but I could be missing something.

Can AC cancel a flight and return points when other reasonable flight alternatives exist?

Last edited by Norcanair; Jun 29, 2022 at 12:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2022, 2:51 pm

July 16 - AC128 - YVR-YYZ

My flight above just got cancelled. I was lucky that I was able to snag a business class reward at the lowest price (23.3k points) on this flight which was scheduled to fly on a 789.

I need to get back to Toronto on that weekend (can be any flight on Saturday 7/16 or Sunday 7/17) - however, currently looking at Aeroplan availability and all the business class availability is dynamic pricing.

Currently on hold with the call centre to get rebooked. My question is, am I entitled to request to be rebooked on another direct flight on business even though there are no seats available for anything close to the reward price I originally booked at? Preferably another widebody flight, but worst case, narrowbody is fine too I guess.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: A3*G
yes, you can choose any flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.