Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Why you should avoid sixth freedom flights ticketed by AC

You are going to get a refund, or cross the ocean on AC. There are no other options.

I suggest reading Frugal Flyer tomorrow, which is a blog I will have contributed to (without compensation).
endian likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
The reason for the itinerary change is AC has stopped flying YVR-DEL for the summer as it's not viable to fly that route & avoid Russian airspace with the head winds that are heavier that time of year.

The only think you're entitled to is reprotection on another routing or a refund. It's unlikely they'd put on TK given they have their own options, but you can ask. There's a SFO-YVR-FRA-DEL option with timing that might work. I would argue AC would be more likely to protect you on LH vs TK, especially if they codeshare on the flights.

They won't upgrade you, but they might cover a night's hotel.
Thanks for the additional context and suggestions! I was expecting as much, even if I hoped for more, but it helps to know what to try to ask for. The SFO-YVR-FRA-DEL option leaving at noon is marginally better, and if all else fails I plan on asking to switch to that. I'll see if I can find an LH itinerary with better timings before calling.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
You are going to get a refund, or cross the ocean on AC. There are no other options.

I suggest reading Frugal Flyer tomorrow, which is a blog I will have contributed to (without compensation).
Learned something new about "freedoms of the air" today. Wish I had come across your post earlier, but live and learn I suppose. Hope it helps someone else before they end up in my situation.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
AC Schedule Change Forces Illegal Connection - Am I Protected?

Okay, a bit of help from you experts in a "what if" scenario.

AC has had a schedule change for our flight from YYC-YYZ-MCO. Previously the connection was 2:05 in YYZ but because they have changed the outbound, the connection is now 0:43.

The connection is illegal as YYZ connections for Domestic to International is 2:00.

Question is, if I confirm the flight change, and accept an illegal connection time, what are my options if I misconnect? Is it still on AC to protect us because they caused the illegal connection time or is it now on me because I accepted an illegal connection time?

The next AC flight from YYZ-MCO is 5:20 after the scheduled flight so it's certainly not ideal. If we were faced with the option of getting on the next AC flight 5:20 minutes later, would they protect us on a WS flight leaving 3:15 after our scheduled flight?

Not looking to change out YYC-YYZ flight because we are eUpgraded to J on the 787 already and there aren't any other 787s flying with a schedule that makes sense.

Old Apr 10, 2022, 11:44 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
1) I wouldn't count on getting them to put you on WS to MCO. As a SE I have been occasionally put on WS. But when I have been moved over, it's always economy.

2) The MCT for YYZ transborder is actually 1hr 10 mins according to AC. Not that it makes a big difference, your connection is still illegal and given that you must clear US customs at YYZ it's certainly tight. See the AC website for MCT AC minimum connection times .

3) There is a reasonable likelihood that there will be additional schedule and/or equipment changes between now and August. So I wouldn't be too worried about either until a week or two prior to departure.
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:08 pm

I am flying YVR-YYZ-YTS in July. AC had cancelled the YYZ-YTS leg and rebooked me on an earlier flight, also requiring the YVR-YYZ flight to be changed. Now AC has reinstated the cancelled YYZ-YTS leg. If I were to call in, would AC let me change back to the original routing for free?
Old Apr 12, 2022, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by jarjay92
I am flying YVR-YYZ-YTS in July. AC had cancelled the YYZ-YTS leg and rebooked me on an earlier flight, also requiring the YVR-YYZ flight to be changed. Now AC has reinstated the cancelled YYZ-YTS leg. If I were to call in, would AC let me change back to the original routing for free?
Yes, the policy explicitly permits that.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 2:45 pm
daq

Air Canada just changed my YVR-EWR plane from a 777 (or possibly 787) to a 737 Max. I had paid for preferred seats to be in a row with a bassinet but now that's not an option any more. They switched me to a preferred seat (row 18) on the 737 Max but not exactly sure what the benefits if any are of that. Not sure if I should ask for a refund on the preferred seats if they would let or keep them if there's any benefit to the new seats. Any thoughts on this?
Old Apr 15, 2022, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by daq
Air Canada just changed my YVR-EWR plane from a 777 (or possibly 787) to a 737 Max. I had paid for preferred seats to be in a row with a bassinet but now that's not an option any more. They switched me to a preferred seat (row 18) on the 737 Max but not exactly sure what the benefits if any are of that. Not sure if I should ask for a refund on the preferred seats if they would let or keep them if there's any benefit to the new seats. Any thoughts on this?
The best Y seats on the 7M8 are in the second exit row (20) - best Y pitch available. 18 may have limited recline because you are in front of an exit row.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 5:27 pm
daq

Originally Posted by vancouver25k
The best Y seats on the 7M8 are in the second exit row (20) - best Y pitch available. 18 may have limited recline because you are in front of an exit row.
I can't be in an exit row because traveling with children. Do all the "preferred" seats have extra legroom/other benefits?
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:25 am

EY change my flight 1 day later, can I ask AP buy the ticket?

Booked a AP reward ticket MLE-AUH-BCN by Etihad in June, just find out the ticket has been pushed by 1 day. Etihad cancel that day's AUH-BCN flight. Gonna call AP so just want to get some expectations.

There's no AP award available for that day, so should I ask for AP to by TK cash ticket for me? or they can buy QR/EY as well?

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC 25k, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE
I am no expert on the rules regarding AP buying cash fares, but this exact scenario happened to me (EY pushing a flight in F by a day), and Aeroplan called me and basically offered to buy any cash fare in F (I was surprised by their flexibility, I was told they could basically book any flight with a seat left in it). However, my flight was like T-21 days, and from what they explained to me, the agent that called me had the power to do this but the folks in the regular AP call center don't, so YMMV. Could be worth a try though.
ecgz88 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by kovy42
I am no expert on the rules regarding AP buying cash fares, but this exact scenario happened to me (EY pushing a flight in F by a day), and Aeroplan called me and basically offered to buy any cash fare in F (I was surprised by their flexibility, I was told they could basically book any flight with a seat left in it). However, my flight was like T-21 days, and from what they explained to me, the agent that called me had the power to do this but the folks in the regular AP call center don't, so YMMV. Could be worth a try though.
Thank you so much! I called agent first try to put me on a mixed cabin flight, after I push back she said talk to ticket desk, issue me a TK flight said that's the only choice. not ideal since it's 9 hour transit, and I just find out the last segment is A321 IST-BCN , I should push further ask for QR, the ticket code is C
Old Apr 20, 2022, 6:22 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Thank you so much! I called agent first try to put me on a mixed cabin flight, after I push back she said talk to ticket desk, issue me a TK flight said that's the only choice. not ideal since it's 9 hour transit, and I just find out the last segment is A321 IST-BCN , I should push further ask for QR, the ticket code is C
You can’t pick and choose what airline they protect you on…especially when the one you’re asking for isn’t an aeroplan/*A partner.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
You can’t pick and choose what airline they protect you on…especially when the one you’re asking for isn’t an aeroplan/*A partner.
don't know, actually the QR flight is cheaper than TK flight
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by ecgz88
don't know, actually the QR flight is cheaper than TK flight
You're assuming AC is paying published fares for the TK flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.