Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
AC has changed my flight timings once again. I am not able to change it online on my bookings either. I do not mind paying but even that option is not available online on the website. How can I get it done?
Old Apr 1, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Davvidd
AC has changed my flight timings once again. I am not able to change it online on my bookings either. I do not mind paying but even that option is not available online on the website. How can I get it done?
Call the airline.
arf04 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Call the airline.
I have and they do not answer the phone.
rankourabu likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Call first thing in the morning….always get to talk to someone within 10 mins. Don’t have status.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: AC 25k, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, National EE
I have a trip in F next month with an EY flight that was pushed back by a day, I would like to keep the change as pending until LH F space clears up and I can change my reservation while avoiding repricing. Current EY ticket status shows TK (timechange, confirmed), am I risking anything by not acknowledging the change or am I guaranteed to be on the new flight? (I assume the latter but I want to make sure I don't lose my seat on EY F).

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 5, 2022, 2:16 pm

Equipment Change

Wondering if I have options… travelling yyz-Yvr may 11th. I purposely picked AC 103 over AC 184 (8am vs 7:30am) because it was an Airbus 330-300 and a 2-4-2 layout making sitting with just my hubby easier. Two weeks ago it was changed to a 777-300. If that’s the case I would rather bid for an upgrade into business (booked economy flex)but I’d rather be on the Dreamliner at 7:30 than the 777 at 8am. How easy or hard is it to switch to the earlier flight?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott TE, AC75K
I recently received notice my BUD-YYZ-YEG AP booking was changed to BUD-FRA-YYZ-YEG since AC not planning to fly BUD-YYZ anymore. I had booked my original AP ticket with a Latitude points fare and instantly confirmed J using e-ups since both legs were on AC metal. They now placed me in Y on the LH BUD-FRA flight and in J for the FRA-YYZ and YYZ-YEG legs, but there is a better BUD-FRA-YYC-YEG connection (no 7hr layover) that I'm interested in changing to. Unfortunately there is currently no R space on the FRA-YYC leg.

Has anyone had any success getting AC to open up R space or pushing through an already confirmed upgrade due to an involuntary sched. change? AP says they don't have access to E-ups and AC has said they can't open up R-space or change the flights themselves since its an AP booking. Wondering if I'm SOL if I can't find R-space on my preferred flights home?
Old Apr 6, 2022, 3:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rowdypfeifer
I recently received notice my BUD-YYZ-YEG AP booking was changed to BUD-FRA-YYZ-YEG since AC not planning to fly BUD-YYZ anymore. I had booked my original AP ticket with a Latitude points fare and instantly confirmed J using e-ups since both legs were on AC metal. They now placed me in Y on the LH BUD-FRA flight and in J for the FRA-YYZ and YYZ-YEG legs, but there is a better BUD-FRA-YYC-YEG connection (no 7hr layover) that I'm interested in changing to. Unfortunately there is currently no R space on the FRA-YYC leg.

Has anyone had any success getting AC to open up R space or pushing through an already confirmed upgrade due to an involuntary sched. change? AP says they don't have access to E-ups and AC has said they can't open up R-space or change the flights themselves since its an AP booking. Wondering if I'm SOL if I can't find R-space on my preferred flights home?
Yes, you are SOL.

If the system moves you, it will force open R space (which is possibly what happened for FRA-YYZ-YEG).

But I was explicitly told by someone with up high that in these situations, you need to start the upgrade process over.
rowdypfeifer likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 8:18 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Kerrilyn Short
Wondering if I have options… travelling yyz-Yvr may 11th. I purposely picked AC 103 over AC 184 (8am vs 7:30am) because it was an Airbus 330-300 and a 2-4-2 layout making sitting with just my hubby easier. Two weeks ago it was changed to a 777-300. If that’s the case I would rather bid for an upgrade into business (booked economy flex)but I’d rather be on the Dreamliner at 7:30 than the 777 at 8am. How easy or hard is it to switch to the earlier flight?
Very easy. Just pay the cost to switch.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
That's not true. The button says "acknowledge". Not "accept". Not "I waive rights to my free change".

All it does is HK every segment, which will likely happen anyway if you leave it alone.
The button says "acknowledge", but AC continues to insist that if you click that button, the customer "accepts" it (AC's words, not mine) and waives the right to a free change/refund.

In the past, I would often click "acknowledge" to be able to see the flights via the app and call in later to get the schedule change sorted out. Buyer beware that if you click "acknowledge" it can make it much more difficult to request a change/refund.

An excerpt from Customer Relations:
When a schedule change occurs on a booking which results in a departure or arrival time that is greater than 3 hours, Air Canada allows it's passengers to request a refund regardless of the fare rules of the passengers ticket. Once a passenger accepts a schedule change, the ticket is subject to the original terms and conditions associated with the ticket fare class that was purchased. In this case we can see that there were two schedule changes which occurred on this ticket, and one was a schedule change which resulted in a change which was greater than 3 hours. We can see that this schedule change was accepted on xx. As your ticket is subject to the original fare rules, it is non-refundable.
Adam Smith and Seat19k like this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gcashin
The button says "acknowledge", but AC continues to insist that if you click that button, the customer "accepts" it (AC's words, not mine) and waives the right to a free change/refund.

In the past, I would often click "acknowledge" to be able to see the flights via the app and call in later to get the schedule change sorted out. Buyer beware that if you click "acknowledge" it can make it much more difficult to request a change/refund.

An excerpt from Customer Relations:
"I never accepted it - it wouldn't let me view it until I clicked a blue button to acknowledge that it had changed. Then there was no option to pick alternate flights."

The acknowledge button removes UN segments and changes everything else to HK. If you do not do this yourself, eventually, AC will do it.

None of this changes the contract, which says you have the right to a free change or refund in the event of a (substantial) scheduled change.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2022, 11:44 am

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
After bit back n forth finding the award space from YYZ-DEL-HYD using AP/AC, finally booked latitude ticket for 85k+13eUps to upgrade to biz (Waitlisted) for July16th though EY is cheaper with 70k in economy and less layover compared to AC 48flight.
Last night got the mail saying 9:30AM flighht is cancelled and rescheduled to 8PM form YYZ-DEL which messes up my connection to HYD by increasing the overnight layover in DEL for 10hrs.

I tried to put me thru YYZ-DXB-HYD on the same day but they declined saying no latitude ticket is available which is what i originally booked with aircanada though they have J class available.
They can only rebook to similar class if available or take refund.. I ended up accepting 10hrs layover flight connection as other options all are bumped up in miles.

Is this the case or any leverage as the airlines itself cancelled and rescheduled and put another option despite economy latitude is not available currently in another routing ?
Old Apr 7, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by mkannuri
I tried to put me thru YYZ-DXB-HYD on the same day but they declined saying no latitude ticket is available which is what i originally booked with aircanada though they have J class available.
They can only rebook to similar class if available or take refund.. I ended up accepting 10hrs layover flight connection as other options all are bumped up in miles.

Is this the case or any leverage as the airlines itself cancelled and rescheduled and put another option despite economy latitude is not available currently in another routing ?
If there's no partner award space for DXB-HYD in your desired cabin of service, there's no expectation that you'd be rebooked on that flight, especially if you've already been rebooked on another valid routing.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 2:46 pm

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I had booked an AC round trip departing evening of July 1 with the outbound path SFO-YVR-DEL. I just received an e-mail from AC changing just the outbound flight to SFO-YYZ-DEL departing over 12 hours earlier and taking 6 hours longer. I can deal with the additional flight time, but the earlier departure and arrival would require both my partner and I to take an entire extra day off work and book a hotel for the extra night in Delhi, which is expensive and inconvenient.

My question is: what exactly am I entitled to if I want to change my flight? Ideally, I'd like to rebook to an itinerary that leaves in the evening, even if it takes slightly longer to arrive, but it doesn't look like AC has any evening departures on July 1 anymore that don't have us arriving nearly a full day later. I can see an itinerary with departure time similar to my old one on a *A partner (Turkish Airlines) -- would I be able to request to be switched to that flight instead? If I have to accept the worse itinerary, is there any chance of at least getting upgraded if I call in and complain/ask nicely? Can I expect AC to pay for the additional hotel night in Delhi?

I read the international tariff and APPR linked earlier in this thread, but they seem to state that so long as my _arrival_ isn't delayed, I'm basically entitled to very little besides a refund, but flight prices have gone up so much since I booked that a refund is essentially >$1k down the drain.

If it matters, the stated reason for the change in the e-mail is that "part of your itinerary has changed due to unexpected business or operational constraints on our planned flight schedule".

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by endian
I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I had booked an AC round trip departing evening of July 1 with the outbound path SFO-YVR-DEL. I just received an e-mail from AC changing just the outbound flight to SFO-YYZ-DEL departing over 12 hours earlier and taking 6 hours longer. I can deal with the additional flight time, but the earlier departure and arrival would require both my partner and I to take an entire extra day off work and book a hotel for the extra night in Delhi, which is expensive and inconvenient.

My question is: what exactly am I entitled to if I want to change my flight? Ideally, I'd like to rebook to an itinerary that leaves in the evening, even if it takes slightly longer to arrive, but it doesn't look like AC has any evening departures on July 1 anymore that don't have us arriving nearly a full day later. I can see an itinerary with departure time similar to my old one on a *A partner (Turkish Airlines) -- would I be able to request to be switched to that flight instead? If I have to accept the worse itinerary, is there any chance of at least getting upgraded if I call in and complain/ask nicely? Can I expect AC to pay for the additional hotel night in Delhi?

I read the international tariff and APPR linked earlier in this thread, but they seem to state that so long as my _arrival_ isn't delayed, I'm basically entitled to very little besides a refund, but flight prices have gone up so much since I booked that a refund is essentially >$1k down the drain.

If it matters, the stated reason for the change in the e-mail is that "part of your itinerary has changed due to unexpected business or operational constraints on our planned flight schedule".

Thanks in advance for your help!
The reason for the itinerary change is AC has stopped flying YVR-DEL for the summer as it's not viable to fly that route & avoid Russian airspace with the head winds that are heavier that time of year.

The only think you're entitled to is reprotection on another routing or a refund. It's unlikely they'd put on TK given they have their own options, but you can ask. There's a SFO-YVR-FRA-DEL option with timing that might work. I would argue AC would be more likely to protect you on LH vs TK, especially if they codeshare on the flights.

They won't upgrade you, but they might cover a night's hotel.
kalderlake and endian like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.