Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options? (new policy effective Q2 2021)

AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options? (new policy effective Q2 2021)

Old Mar 10, 22, 10:15 am

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Just saw that an Aeroplan Reward flight (for my in-law in J) says the outbound has been canceled. Although it's still showing up as a revenue booking.

Update : NM, turned out that the LH portion (FRA-LNZ) just got changed from Lufthansa Cityline to Air Dolomiti.

Last edited by yvr76; Mar 10, 22 at 10:49 am
Old Mar 11, 22, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi View Post
Is too late at this point but when you got the original message on the schedule change you should have had a button that said show alternate flight options in addition to the acknowledge new flight button.
Just got a notification of a flight change for my wife's flight in May on LHR-YYC-YCG. It was a nice 1.45 connection. Now they moved the LHR-YYC flight 85 minutes later and moved her YYC-YCG to the next day. No button, no option to change . When I go to MMB, it only wants to let me change individual flights - not a different route from start to end. I can change first the flight to YYC then the flight to YCG. That's not useful. I can't even find anything that will connect in any useful way for a same day flight through YYC. Paying for an overnight in YYC seems like an expensive option (which I assume they won't cover).

The website won't let me do it, but do you think it they would approve a re-route through YVR to YYF or YLW? I was planning to pick her up on my way from YKA for some a few days of camping in the Kootenays, so the closer I can get the better. Both have options to connect through YVR same day. She is on a Standard fare.

Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 22, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by painintheuk View Post
Just got a notification of a flight change for my wife's flight in May on LHR-YYC-YCG. It was a nice 1.45 connection. Now they moved the LHR-YYC flight 85 minutes later and moved her YYC-YCG to the next day. No button, no option to change . When I go to MMB, it only wants to let me change individual flights - not a different route from start to end. I can change first the flight to YYC then the flight to YCG. That's not useful. I can't even find anything that will connect in any useful way for a same day flight through YYC. Paying for an overnight in YYC seems like an expensive option (which I assume they won't cover).

The website won't let me do it, but do you think it they would approve a re-route through YVR to YYF or YLW? I was planning to pick her up on my way from YKA for some a few days of camping in the Kootenays, so the closer I can get the better. Both have options to connect through YVR same day. She is on a Standard fare.
What about LHR-YVR-YCG? Does the timing of that one not work out either?
Old Mar 11, 22, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
What about LHR-YVR-YCG? Does the timing of that one not work out either?
Not that I can see. I tried a few different dates and they are all 26 hr+ with an extra connection.
Old Mar 11, 22, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, WS Gold, DL PM, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson Gold
Not that I can see. I tried a few different dates and they are all 26 hr+ with an extra connection.
Ouch, yeah, that 9AM timing really screws up the possibility for connections. When I took it last year, it was in the 1PM regional bank, and we actually departed a bit late because we were waiting or pax connecting from LHR.

AC's SKCH policy says you can change to another airport within 200 miles, so either YLW or YYF might be acceptable. Please see this post for more.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Mar 11, 22, 10:02 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
I just happened to notice today when perusing my upcoming trips on the AC website that there was an issue with a reward itinerary I had booked months ago for June. My one way itinerary was IDA-DEN-YVR, departing IDA at 2:30pm on United and connecting to AC in Denver, arriving in YVR at 8pm. The United flight was now cancelled and they had put me on a later flight out of IDA, but it wouldn't have arrived in time to make the connection. I went onto United’s website and saw that the canceled 2:30pm flight had been replaced with a 2:45pm flight (which would allow me to make the connection). I called Aeroplan and the agent told me that there was no reward space on the 2:45pm flight and I had no options. I told her to buy me a ticket on the 2:45pm flight. She said that they don’t do that anymore - and she wasn’t pleasant about it. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor told me that she was wrong and he immediately bought me a revenue ticket on the United flight. Most infrequent travellers probably would have just accepted the first agent’s “nothing we can do”.
Old Mar 12, 22, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I think you're misusing the phrase "bought me a ticket".

I've seen Aeroplan literally buy a ticket. That's not the same thing as one airline rebooking you on another airline in a fare class higher than ticketed.
Old Mar 12, 22, 12:18 am

Programs: ANA Diamond
Can you guys actually even log into Aeroplan? I keep getting the same message everytime I have tried to log in for the last week.

Sorry!

Looks like we are not working at 100% now, but you can continue as a guest or
try again
Old Mar 12, 22, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit LT Sil, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer View Post
Can you guys actually even log into Aeroplan? I keep getting the same message everytime I have tried to log in for the last week.

Sorry!

try again
Use Incognito mode
Old Mar 12, 22, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I think you're misusing the phrase "bought me a ticket".

I've seen Aeroplan literally buy a ticket. That's not the same thing as one airline rebooking you on another airline in a fare class higher than ticketed.
I’m just using the wording that the supervisor used. He said that he’ll “buy you” a revenue ticket on the united flight as there was no award space available.
Old Mar 13, 22, 2:15 pm

Thanks.
We ended up moving the LHR-YYC flight a day earlier, so she'll spend a night in Calgary and get the flight the next day. A bit of an expensive add on to the ticket!
Old Mar 15, 22, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, OZ Diamond
I'm booked PIT-YYZ-YUL-FRA-DRS in PY with YUL-FRA on LH. Just got notice that YYZ-YUL was changed to an A220 without PY of course. Would AC change me to a later YYZ-YUL with PY connecting to the AC YUL-FRA instead of LH? That's what I wanted originally but the AC was much more expensive than LH. Alternatively would AC change me to AC YYZ-FRA instead? Would like to avoid taking the LH flight if possible and would like to take advantage of this schedule change if I can.
Old Mar 15, 22, 11:21 am

Hi, I have now received an email with "ACTION REQUIRED" although the flight number and flight time have not changed. Still codeshare with LH. The reasson could be that the aircraft type has now been changed in the AC system from the LH A350 to the Phillipine A350 leased from LH.
Only the long-haul codeshare flights have changed. MUC-YVR-YYC & YVR-MUC
First of all, the overview, which you can reach via the link, is not clear at all. I don't even know which option I have and what I would have to click on. Looks like an System error and the fields are default codes. (Buttons?: "atc.invol.remindme.text" or "atc.invol.review.flight.text")
Will AC cancel my reservation if I don´t call an agent? So Must I call somebody because online seems not working.

Question anyway, do I have the chance to change the flights without extra charge? Flight days and flight destination would remain the same, but I would then probably want to fly over FRA (MUC-FRA-YYC & YVR-FRA-MUC), so that we can then fly the long-haul on AC. It would then be advantageous to book seats free of charge and otherwise use the advantages of PE, especially in YVR.

Thanks
Old Mar 15, 22, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3 View Post
I'm booked PIT-YYZ-YUL-FRA-DRS in PY with YUL-FRA on LH. Just got notice that YYZ-YUL was changed to an A220 without PY of course. Would AC change me to a later YYZ-YUL with PY connecting to the AC YUL-FRA instead of LH? That's what I wanted originally but the AC was much more expensive than LH. Alternatively would AC change me to AC YYZ-FRA instead? Would like to avoid taking the LH flight if possible and would like to take advantage of this schedule change if I can.
Yes, both of those are very reasonable requests.
dinoscool3 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 22, 11:52 am

Programs: AC SE, Fairmont Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ETHFlyer View Post

Sorry!

try again
I've had a cache issue with chrome that was throwing this for me. I ended up clear the cookies and cache (hour/day/week and finally) for the last month and then login worked again.

Search this Thread