Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I am a UA member booked on AC stock on a P fare that was a little shy of $1700 USD. I booked in early May when there was the sale. I’m flying SFO YYZ ZRH on the outbound and BCN MUC YYZ SFO on the return. I just got advice that my schedule has changed and I have a potential forced overnight in YYZ on the return home to SFO. I was crediting to UA MP, with the generous 200% bonus on AC crediting to UA (I’m in the quest for 1K this year on United with the reduced PQP levels)
What are your dates? AC moved the MUC flight to later in the day causing lots of connection issues. If you want to stick with AC, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find BCN-FRA-YYZ-SFO - the only problem is that it requires an early morning departure from BCN.
AC used to have a program where if you were flying business class and had to stay overnight in YYZ they'd pay for the hotel... If you don't have to be back in SFO it might be worth speaking to AC and seeing if that program is still in place. Would be a way to break up what would otherwise be a very long day of flying.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's a one-time change, until the next schedule change. Then you get another one-time change.
Actually as long as you don't change the arrival and departure cities and don't change the date, this isn't your "free change" - this is just you picking flights that suit your needs better than the change they have proposed.
Old May 29, 2021, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by The Lev
What are your dates? AC moved the MUC flight to later in the day causing lots of connection issues. If you want to stick with AC, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find BCN-FRA-YYZ-SFO - the only problem is that it requires an early morning departure from BCN.
AC used to have a program where if you were flying business class and had to stay overnight in YYZ they'd pay for the hotel... If you don't have to be back in SFO it might be worth speaking to AC and seeing if that program is still in place. Would be a way to break up what would otherwise be a very long day of flying.

Actually as long as you don't change the arrival and departure cities and don't change the date, this isn't your "free change" - this is just you picking flights that suit your needs better than the change they have proposed.
actually I made a mistake. My outbound SFO YYZ ZRH BCN Is good. It’s the return which is MAD MUC YYZ SFO With the forced overnight in YYZ. Flight is October 7. I guess I have to look again, sorry for the error. Any assistance is helpful thanks
Old May 29, 2021, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Update: I do see MAD FRA YYZ SFO all on the same day (my preference) with the over the water portion and intra European flights on LH. Doing so will give me about 800 less PQP’s on my quest for 1K on United. Otherwise I’m not seeing that many great options

On the plus side I could fly in the upper deck of the 744 which I’ve never done before on LH. Decisions decisions
Old May 29, 2021, 5:49 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Dunno, upper deck on the 744 is okay but I find the LH planes a bit ancient. Take out behind the barn and shoot kind of ancient.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Dunno, upper deck on the 744 is okay but I find the LH planes a bit ancient. Take out behind the barn and shoot kind of ancient.
Oh and I thought they were newly remodeled interiors..

with that said for all the AC experts with this type of routing which equipment do you like best? I’ve already picked the 787’s Dash 8–9 on my original itinerary, I’m seeing some widebody Airbuses as well but I really don’t know the AC fleet. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

Last edited by Flying Machine; May 29, 2021 at 6:00 pm
Old May 29, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Oh and I thought they were newly remodeled interiors..

with that said for all the AC experts with this type of routing which equipment do you like best? I’ve already picked the 787’s Dash 8–9 on my original itinerary, I’m seeing some widebody Airbuses as well but I really don’t know the AC fleet. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks
All of AC’s wide bodies now have reverse herringbone seats. The A330’s are being refitted and only new cabin aircraft are in service.
Old May 30, 2021, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by EdmFlyBoi
All of AC’s wide bodies now have reverse herringbone seats. The A330’s are being refitted and only new cabin aircraft are in service.
Good to know, now I have to find some AC flights that will work for the return home. I was siding towards LH, however after the comment of the aircraft being ancient I’m going to rethink that. Thanks again
Old May 30, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
On the plus side I could fly in the upper deck of the 744 which I’ve never done before on LH. Decisions decisions
I though LH was flying the 747-8? The days of the 747 are numbered, if it's something on your bucket list I'd do it sooner than later. I've only flown upper deck on a BA 747 and with 20 seats and 2 flight attendants it's great service. It's a small cabin, in a good way. With few passengers it's quiet, thus a good place to sleep on overnight flights.
EdmFlyBoi likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:23 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Good to know, now I have to find some AC flights that will work for the return home. I was siding towards LH, however after the comment of the aircraft being ancient I’m going to rethink that. Thanks again
I wouldn't call LH's J product "ancient". The 2-2 or 2-2-2 layout is definitely inferior as a hard product, but I prefer LH's soft product (meals and service), even as an AC SE.

My statement above was based on pre-pandemic times. Since the pandemic started: I'm not sure what AC's J meals are like now (or will be come your flight date), but for much of the pandemic, AC's meal offering in J was significantly downgraded from the pre-pandemic normal, whereas LH had largely maintained its standard meal offerings.
Old May 30, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I though LH was flying the 747-8? The days of the 747 are numbered, if it's something on your bucket list I'd do it sooner than later. I've only flown upper deck on a BA 747 and with 20 seats and 2 flight attendants it's great service. It's a small cabin, in a good way. With few passengers it's quiet, thus a good place to sleep on overnight flights.
I would agree about flying the upper deck on a 747. If you have never done it, I would recommend it. My last trip to South Africa I was able to fly in the nose on an LH 744 and the upper deck on an LH 748. I suspect the 748's will remain in service a while based on how LH uses their fleet.

AC's J seat is definitely better, although if you are traveling with someone it is less of an issue. I would agree that LH has better catering. Not sure I would agree about the bedding though.
Old May 31, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Agree the upper deck experience is one for the bucket list. Suck it up and fly the jumbo while you can. You'll be glad you did.
Old May 31, 2021, 9:27 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Those interested in a detailed discussion of LH's 747s are reminded to visit the LH forum.

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.