Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice summer J sale to Europe and beyond

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by MaxFlying
I wouldn't be too concerned. I have a 20% code, when I try and use it the J fare (for one leg) goes from 870 to over 2200!!
Try using the code but do a roundtrip ticket and it should work. One ways are always more expense typically.
Old May 22, 2021, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Aker
Try using the code but do a roundtrip ticket and it should work. One ways are always more expense typically.
Unlikely. Sale fares, especially huge ones, are often ineligible for discount codes.

Discount Code Error (?)
Old May 22, 2021, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I recently bought a cheap J fare. Base fare was 75 USD each way. YQ was almost 10x that though, so that's another scenario where a discount code wouldn't do much.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 22, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K 2MM, Accor Gold
Yes, Friday (yesterday) around 14:00 EST all Europe J fares that had been put "on sale" (the destinations I was interested in were BRU, CDG, LYS, GVA, CTA, NAP, TLS, and BIO) all suddenly increased by between $250 and $350 one way. Across the board.
And then, bizarrely, when I tried to subsequently apply/use one of the discount codes I have in my AC bank, the "discounted" fare for a return J ticket was 50% higher than the one published! Which invariably comes with the soothing message "your discount code has successfully been applied".
Maybe when the AC IT "experts" return after the long weekend the "sale" will start up again
Old May 22, 2021, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Unlikely. Sale fares, especially huge ones, are often ineligible for discount codes.

Discount Code Error (?)
Yes. I was trying to book a roundtrip, but just provided the example for the first leg. The effect on the roundtrip was similar.

Discount code clearly not eligible, which is fine.
Old May 22, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by quandide
Yes, Friday (yesterday) around 14:00 EST all Europe J fares that had been put "on sale" (the destinations I was interested in were BRU, CDG, LYS, GVA, CTA, NAP, TLS, and BIO) all suddenly increased by between $250 and $350 one way. Across the board.
And then, bizarrely, when I tried to subsequently apply/use one of the discount codes I have in my AC bank, the "discounted" fare for a return J ticket was 50% higher than the one published! Which invariably comes with the soothing message "your discount code has successfully been applied".
Maybe when the AC IT "experts" return after the long weekend the "sale" will start up again
Were they showing wide availability for the fares? Not a case of the very few in the first fare tranche being rapidly gobbled up?
Old May 22, 2021, 7:21 pm

I only checked LHR yesterday and did not find any difference between yesterday and today, I did have a look at MUC and LYS today and the fares were about $900 higher for a round trip to those destinations than to LHR. I did book LHR for Sept., so hopefully things will ease up by then. The first ticket I have booked since Feb 2020!
Old May 23, 2021, 10:20 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Where can you find the fare rules? I did a dummy booking on AC.com and it says changes and refundable for a fee, but nowhere can I find what the fee is. It did show P class, but nothing else. This was YYC-LHR Sept 17-30.
Old May 24, 2021, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
The ones I'm interested in have stayed the same for my dates. It might be a question of loads for given routes on certain dates (they only have a certain numb3e of seats available at the lowest price before it bumps up).
Old May 24, 2021, 11:30 am

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by The Lev
The ones I'm interested in have stayed the same for my dates. It might be a question of loads for given routes on certain dates (they only have a certain numb3e of seats available at the lowest price before it bumps up).
What dates were you looking for? I'm guessing its mainly to GVA or ZRH for you or did you consider other destinations.
Old May 24, 2021, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Where can you find the fare rules? I did a dummy booking on AC.com and it says changes and refundable for a fee, but nowhere can I find what the fee is. It did show P class, but nothing else. This was YYC-LHR Sept 17-30.
On the page with the agree to the fare rules button there is a link to the fare rules. I didn’t see any way to see the fare rules prior to that. It’s subtle, and it comes late in the whole process. It took me awhile to figure it out.
Old May 24, 2021, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Originally Posted by arf04
On the page with the agree to the fare rules button there is a link to the fare rules. I didn’t see any way to see the fare rules prior to that. It’s subtle, and it comes late in the whole process. It took me awhile to figure it out.

I've posted these pages before but perhaps it should be in a help thread about fares and rules.

When you get to this page (random dates), you can click the blue "Business Class (lowest)" link

It will take you to a page with these options. They are just a summary.

To see the exact details and fare basis codes, click the blue "See complete fare rules" in the upper right corner

It will take you to this page with the entire set of rules - which I save.

arf04 and kalderlake like this.
Old May 24, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
What dates were you looking for? I'm guessing its mainly to GVA or ZRH for you or did you consider other destinations.
BCN and DXB. BCN is ~$2,000 on various dates July-Sep. DXB is $2,200 - 2,400. GVA and ZRH are no screaming deal this time around.
Old May 24, 2021, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by The Lev
BCN and DXB. BCN is ~$2,000 on various dates July-Sep.
To BCN I found the flights operating in September to be A333 via YUL. Does this aircraft has the new business class seat of the old one?
Old May 24, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
To BCN I found the flights operating in September to be A333 via YUL. Does this aircraft has the new business class seat of the old one?
They haven't flown the old cabins (ex-SQ and also the XM Cabin) for awhile. The booking system also shows the new cabin for the YUL-BCN flights, so I'd say it should be pretty safe to get the new J seats in September if the flights do go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.