Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC Unions @ Work - Stop the insanity

Old Aug 28, 03, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Argh!!!

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q13921CB5
Old Aug 28, 03, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...union games under the guise of caring for its members.
Old Aug 28, 03, 7:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

Good to see this quote in there somewhere:

"If you’re at a call centre, give the customer your best service."
Old Aug 28, 03, 7:26 pm

Union games is an understatement. This just shows what kind of goals the unions have.

Featherbedding at its best. I won't be surprised if Buzz asks them to hold a wildcat strike sometime soon as BA did in LHR. I have all the respect in the world for frontline staff because I have worked in similar positions and understand the stress invovled. But I feel sorry that they have to deal with unions such as CAW. What the CAW does not understand is that the well-being of Air Canada means that they will get revenue through union dues. No Air Canada, No Union Dues.

Edited to remove harsh language.

[This message has been edited by bLuJaay (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 03, 7:47 pm

There is an e-mail adress at the bottom of the press release. Feel free to send your views.
Old Aug 28, 03, 8:43 pm

My take on this is .....a lot of front-line agents are not used to dealing with the huge volume of travellers and fewer staff ..meaning ...we are supposed to work faster ...chat less...and...unfortunately ...some agents through this stressfull situation are not giving the customer as much time and care as usually given...SO...what the union is stating is ...Give every customer 100 % of your best customer service...That agent in YUL shouting at travellers probably thought she was doing a great job directing passengers to the correct line....so many passengers wait hours in line ..to be told - eh..no that is in the transborder check-in...well...I hope she saw herself and has since changed her ways....
Anyways...I believe in treating others the way I wish to be treated...and I'm sticking to that....union or no union..LOL...
Hope to assist you on your journeys thru YVR...cheers !
Old Aug 28, 03, 9:03 pm

The question of the day is whether the CAW's claim that (AC) Management obviously doesn’t care (about customer service) is true?

The CAW claims that they care (about customer service). The good thing is that they can make a difference, but are they? Are they checking in more passengers per hour than they did before ac filled for bankrumptcy protection?
Are they directing more passengers to express check in kiosks such that passengers are queuing up to use them?
Are they redistributing more Airport CSAs to Express Check I baggage dropp off desks to encourage customers to check in at the Kiosks?

Just to let all those CSAs know that they will continue to deal with hostile passengers as long as those customers feel that they are being mistreated by AC and its CSAs.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Reports indicate that customers know we aren’t to blame, but we need to remind them that the line ups are because management at Air Canada thinks we’re overstaffed."</font>
If AC management believes that CAW members are overstaffed why does it seem that current CAW members are unable to do their jobs. I think the problem is with the incumbent CAW members' lack of productivity, they should all be canned.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"We must focus on the customer in front of us, or on the phones. These are our primary concerns – the line ups are management’s responsibility."</font>
I think the union is getting it wrong. If their are long line ups call for help, work faster, don't small talk with passengers, and wait until the line dissapears before you take your lunch and coffee breaks.
In retail your customer comes first ... else they will take their dollar to your competitor.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">"Tell them to stop. Put your hands in your pockets until they do."</font>
I think the CAW has it wrong. I've worked in retail, and I've appreciated the help my managers have provided at busy times. Your priority is to serve your customers to their satisfaction rather than to protect your job according to your collective agreement.

[This message has been edited by cslusarc (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 03, 9:12 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
I can't believe this. The union is telling its members to pi** off the customer, because the customer knows it is not their fault. I think this will backfire right into their faces.

No wonder many do not like unions, I can't remember the last time I took a coffee break, let alone two! I do remember the last time I worked through lunch and overtime (without pay), all this week, and many times before.
Old Aug 28, 03, 10:12 pm

Boy,I haven't seen so much anti-unionism on
this board for a while.Now,let me get this
straight.All of you here think that every single person on the planet should work for
8 hours straight with no breaks,no pipi,no
nicotine,no coffee,no sitting,no stretching,
no water.Oh and of course the MUST give you
top quality customer service at the same time....a good thing we have unions or else this capitalist chauvenistic country would
self destruct with you guys as bosses.

Did you ever see what happens to machinery
that is never cooled down? It burns ... the
human body needs to cool down or else customers will pay the price. I as a consumer would rather wait 5 minutes more to
get good service than to be whisked away as
fast as possible so the person can get onto
the next call.

People who are travelling this weekend need
a little more TLC. They are not frequent flyers generally,they are occasional travellers who do not know what to expect at
the airports since the new security measures.
What the CAW wants us to do is focus on giving Customer Care,at the same time we will
feel better about our work and will be less stressed out...therefore better customer service. This whole thing is not about saving
jobs,it is about working in a safe environment.....doesn't everyone want a safe
environment?????????????

Old Aug 28, 03, 10:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gazou2002:
service. This whole thing is not about saving
environment?????????????

</font>
Westjet maintains a safe flying environment without the 'benefit' of a unionized workforce. And in every province in this country, as well as federally, there is legislation requiring employers to, inter alia, give breaks, extra overtime pay, and the right to refuse overtime to some extent.

The 'problem' i have with unions personally is that they have generally drifted well outside their mandate of 'representation' of their membership in the collective bargaining, grievance, and arbitration processes, and have turned into, among other things, political creatures, and creatures of en masse intimidation of anyone who dares dissent from the views of the leadership of the union.

Unions need to realize, throughout the AC restructuring, that, if they continue to make excessive demands, if they resist job and structural change within AC, if they continue to make statements in the media that drive potential investors away from the recapitalization process -- there quite simply won't be an AC left at the end of the day. And that it is businesses, not trade unions, that create jobs and wealth for employees collectively as the labour force, whether they are union-represented employees or out-of-scope employees.
Old Aug 28, 03, 10:39 pm

my question is if they think they are so overstaffed then why do the need managment to do agents jobs. Simple they should have gotten rid of a few more managers that stand around and do nothing and kept on more agents.
Old Aug 28, 03, 10:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by airbus320:
...union games under the guise of caring for its members.</font>
I agree with airbus320 and I also agree with Gazou2002.

I have worked in the CAW (in my younger years ) and they fought for employees who had no right being in a job. They will not win the hearts of the traveling public with these tactics this weekend.

As for the employee's on the front line. They do need breaks and should be entitled to them regardless of the line ups. What I am referring to is the need to take washroom breaks or grab a quick bite to eat to keep them going. I worked in retail and we could run in the back and take a quick washroom break and grab a drink in the back a bite of something. You can't do this as a check in agent.

When not on the road I work from home and yes I sometimes work 10+ hours a day at my desk but I can go to the washroom or get some food to eat at my desk when ever I want. They can't.

I see both sides of the equation and after being in YYZ in the blackout I saw employees really pull it together when the public absolutely needed it. They can't sustain that pace for more than a few days nor should they be expected to.

Every day and every passenger is important and needs to be treated well and efficiently. I still think that there is some room on both sides. Sadly, management and union leaders are still butting heads and the customer and employee's will continue to loose out the longer it continues.

It's a mess but both sides need to show some grace and leave the past behind and start with honest, genuine attempts to change the working environment. I am not talking about more wage rollbacks. They need productivity improvements and sadly the money is not in place to provide the technology to give the employees the tools they need.

Sorry I don't have the answer, but all sides get my sympathy as they struggle through this with us in the middle
Old Aug 28, 03, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gazou2002:
Boy,I haven't seen so much anti-unionism on
this board for a while.Now,let me get this
straight.All of you here think that every single person on the planet should work for
8 hours straight with no breaks,no pipi,no
nicotine,no coffee,no sitting,no stretching,
no water.Oh and of course the MUST give you
top quality customer service at the same time....a good thing we have unions or else this capitalist chauvenistic country would
self destruct with you guys as bosses.

Did you ever see what happens to machinery
that is never cooled down? It burns ... the
human body needs to cool down or else customers will pay the price. I as a consumer would rather wait 5 minutes more to
get good service than to be whisked away as
fast as possible so the person can get onto
the next call.

People who are travelling this weekend need
a little more TLC. They are not frequent flyers generally,they are occasional travellers who do not know what to expect at
the airports since the new security measures.
What the CAW wants us to do is focus on giving Customer Care,at the same time we will
feel better about our work and will be less stressed out...therefore better customer service. This whole thing is not about saving
environment?????????????

</font>
I am anti-union. Have never worked in anunion environment and have never worked in conditions anythign close to what you are describing. These are the things that unions want u to think that will happen if you weren't in a union shop. Most of these unions don't even have the employees best interest in mind and are only trying to push their own agendas and this is afefcting all of us. I am looking forward to a union-free AC (unlikely).
We are way past the days of the 19th century when work environments needed a union to keep them safe and fair. We are now in a time where the market can price everything from wages to hours worked. There are lots of great employees in AC that probably got layed off due to a lack of seniority but if they let the slackers go regardless of their seniority then I'm sure AC would be an even better place. Don't get me worng, I'ma huge AC supporter and will always fly them first.

[This message has been edited by Z-man (edited 08-28-2003).]
Old Aug 28, 03, 11:15 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
I agree with you Z.

I indicated I worked through lunches and overtime this past week and in the past, which is true, it is also true that I do have flexibility to take a day off or leave early when things are slow.

I realize that the AC union staff do not have this luxury. My point is that when you have a line up you do not go off and take an extended break or stick your hands in your pocket and refuse to work if someone wants to help. You help the customer, that is your job.

I have worked retail and in restaurants for many years in my past life. You do not see restaurant staff (usually) taking breaks when the restaurant is full and a line up out the door. They wait until it calms down.

The last thing AC needs is more disgruntled customers, no matter whose fault it is.

My suggestion to the union members is to be nice to the customers, work smart, take breaks when you can (they do need them, as do us all), accept help if it is offered and most importantly SMILE

Old Aug 28, 03, 11:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thanks 7E7. I also work through lunches and come in on weekends to meet deadlines sometimes and I do not ever get overtime pay but it is part of my job and like u, I do get the odd Friday off to go golfing and several of my work days are travel days (which I don't mind).

I really believe that the market will price any job though. If FA's were to make minimum wage, imagine the quality of the staff, it would be terrible. If FA's were paid $250K per year, imagine the quality of those individuals!!! but that is not feasible. In an open market, AC would be able to find the best front line staff and the best FA's at the right price and it would be more effective than unions forcing AC to pay unahppy employees to work. (Don't get me worng there are lots of great people in AC) There are lots of eager and qualified people willing to work for less and if they got rid of the union, they would be able to find an equilibrium between salaries and service and we would all get "what we pay for".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: