Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Long layover @ FRA on Aeroplan ticket - standby/SDC for earlier LH flight?

Long layover @ FRA on Aeroplan ticket - standby/SDC for earlier LH flight?

Old Apr 29, 21, 2:10 pm

Looking for some clarity here since I haven't been able to find an answer. My award booking has changed many times (not surprised), but there is now a fairly decent option/more direct available for same amount of points. Problem is there is a 14 hour layover. This new booking would connect in FRA, 14 hour layover, and then continue to NAP on LH. There is no saver award available for the earlier flights (there are two), so I'm curious if there's a possibility of being waitlisted on the earlier flights? My guess is I shouldn't bother if it's a gamble since 14 hours stuck in FRA doesn't sound like much fun... I know LH opens more space 14 days out but I don't care if FRA-NAP is in Y since it's such a short flight.
Old Apr 29, 21, 4:22 pm

Programs: AC E35K
@ellipsicon: if you aren't carrying too much luggage, nor caring for young children, Frankfurt is quite compact and worth the quick jaunt. I've left FRA on a 6-7 hour layover and enjoy walking along the river, or going into the older part of town.

Alternatively, a nearby hotel may offer a day rate if you are jetlagged (as I am whenever I fly Canada-Europe).
Old Apr 29, 21, 5:52 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I agree. The train into Frankfurt (Main) Hbf is frequent and it's a short walk to the river or some decent restaurants.

FRA and ZRH are two places in Europe where I've gone into the city on a long layover.
Old Apr 29, 21, 6:07 pm

Thanks TTC900Rocket Bohemian1 we are certainly entertaining that. Will probably pull the trigger once EU rules are finalized as far as transit etc and see how viable it is. Flying J from YYZ so hopefully no need for a hotel!
Old Apr 30, 21, 8:55 am

Programs: Fairmont Plat, 1865 Voyager, SPG Gold, AE SE100K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
In the airport/train station complex there are 3 or 4 hotels that offer day rates steps from the terminal. Best rate I have found is at the Hilton Garden Inn, which is right beside the Hilton and steps from a Sheraton that has been split in half and is now a Sheraton and a Marriott. The HGI was also the only one that would let me stay past 6 pm on the day rate. I have stayed at both the Hilton once and the HGI twice. Sheraton had mixed reviews and Marriott and Sheraton also had higher rates when I was looking. First time I stayed there I was planning to take the train into the city. Made it as far as the ticket booth and realized I was exhausted and went to the Hilton.
Old Apr 30, 21, 9:10 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
@ellipsicon, if space opens up on the earlier LH flight at some point before the flight, you can call Aeroplan and change.

FRA is not the nicest city, but there's enough to do to kill a 14-hour layover. My wife and I spent 23 hours there a few years ago and were happy with that.

As for whether you can change or standby for an earlier flight on the day of travel, that's a better question for the LH forum. For example, this thread: Standby for earlier departure - LH Group [merged sameday standby Q&A thread]
Old Apr 30, 21, 11:30 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
@ellipsicon, if space opens up on the earlier LH flight at some point before the flight, you can call Aeroplan and change.

FRA is not the nicest city, but there's enough to do to kill a 14-hour layover. My wife and I spent 23 hours there a few years ago and were happy with that.
While there are a few interesting places such as the reconstructed "Old City", Frankfurt is pretty much a crappy city.

Alternatives easily accessibly by train would include Aschaffenburg, Mainz, Mannheim, Heidelberg.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 30, 21 at 12:32 pm Reason: Profanity

Search this Thread
Search Engine: