Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Air Canada extends Elite status and Priority Rewards to 2022, adds SQx rollover

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 16, 21, 6:27 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 24left
Wiki Link
I am including the link and full text of the AC Press Release issued on March 31 2021 so we have a record of the exact wording.
Mods are free to move this into a post with a reference note in the wiki.

https://aircanada.mediaroom.com/2021...or-All-Members

Air Canada Further Extends Aeroplan Elite Status and Provides Additional Flexibility for All Members
  • Members will enjoy their current Elite Status through the end of 2022
  • Validity of all Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 extended by one full year, and valid for use until October 2022
  • Other flexible policies, including a pause on points expiry, also extended
MONTREAL, March 31, 2021 /CNW Telbec/ - Air Canada today announced several updates for Aeroplan Elite Status members, ensuring their status remains in effect, to give them flexibility and certainty. The changes include the extension of current Elite Status until the end of 2022, in addition to a previous extension through 2021, as well as the possibility to accelerate their status qualification in the years ahead.

"Loyalty is a two-way street, and we understand and appreciate why so many of your travel plans are interrupted this year. For that reason, we are automatically extending Aeroplan Elite Status for an additional yearóthrough to the end of 2022," said Mark Nasr, Senior Vice President, Products, Marketing and eCommerce at Air Canada. "These changes are some of the many ways we're recognizing our members and demonstrating our commitment to welcoming them back onboard, whenever it's the right time for them to travel again."

This is the second year Air Canada has extended the status of its Aeroplan Elite members. In order to provide greater ease and flexibility, changes for Aeroplan Elite Status members include:

Automatic extension of 2021 Aeroplan Elite Status
All Aeroplan Elite Status for 2021 will automatically be extended through to the end of 2022.

Priority Reward Vouchers also extended
Air Canada is also extending the validity of all unused Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 by one full year, making them valid for use until October 2022.

Elite Status Qualification Jumpstart for 2022
For Aeroplan members who earn any Elite Status through their 2021 flight activity, the Status Qualifying Miles, Segments, and Dollars earned in 2021 will be honoured the next year, jumpstarting their status qualification in the years to come.

These improvements come in addition to other changes for all Aeroplan members:

Change or cancel Flight Rewards, free of charge
Aeroplan flight rewards booked through April 30, 2021 (for travel through April 2022) can be changed or cancelled free of charge, at any time. Members who opt to cancel will receive all of their Aeroplan points back in their account, plus a full refund of any associated taxes, fees and surcharges on the unused value of their travel.

Temporary pause to expiration of Aeroplan points
We have further paused expiry of Aeroplan points until January 31, 2022. This means that between now and January 30, 2022, any points which would have expired will not. Effective January 31, 2022, our recently improved expiration policy will apply, meaning that points will expire if an eligible transaction has not been completed prior to this date.

For more information, please visit: https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/aeroplan/news/covid-19.html
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 1, 21, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson View Post
What if say you fly enough to earn some gift of gift in 2021. Say you fly 350K SQM and get the 350K gift

The points then roll over... do you automatically get a second iteratation of the same gift in 2022? Or same question for e-up thresholds?

I am interested in this answer as well because I am the same as above and once you get all the eupgrades you canít get more or threshold gifts. Would actually then be a disadvantage to have this happen since we canít earn more. I hope they would give those perks with the rollover.
Old Apr 1, 21, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Wallace Cashperson View Post
What if say you fly enough to earn some gift of gift in 2021. Say you fly 350K SQM and get the 350K gift

The points then roll over... do you automatically get a second iteratation of the same gift in 2022? Or same question for e-up thresholds?
They're changing the gifts in 2022, so I wouldn't say "the same gift". But yes, you should get everything.

Originally Posted by westcoastscott View Post
I am interested in this answer as well because I am the same as above and once you get all the eupgrades you canít get more or threshold gifts. Would actually then be a disadvantage to have this happen since we canít earn more. I hope they would give those perks with the rollover.
Well that's certainly not going to be the case. If the rollover didn't count for thresholds, then you'd still be able to earn the thresholds through flying.

But on a technical level, they do have different "types" of SQM. CC rollover is coded differently than flight activities, so for something like this, they COULD exclude them. But then what's even the benefit? Someone who flies 62.5k/year with tons of SQD would be able to flipflop between 50 and 75?

But I wouldn't worry. I'm expecting my 150 and 200k gifts/eUps within 5 days of the CC rollover deposit, and I'll expect everything up to at least 350k next year.
Old Apr 1, 21, 4:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE 100K
I don't have anything particularly insightful to add about this beyond that I'm really really happy- as a live touring entertainer, my career has been really impacted by COVID and I'm thrilled to not have to stress about making status this year amongst EVERYTHING else. <3
unclepants, yyckerr and martyYOW like this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 10:34 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
The extension of the status has got me seriously considering buying more Aeroplan miles/points at the 100% bonus, given that I can continue to redeem at a discount for longer.
vernonc likes this.
Old Apr 1, 21, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
What an idiot this guy is! 🤣
It's OK, we're all FOTSGs now.

Also happy with AC's extension. Thanks AC!
Old Apr 1, 21, 11:24 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
It's OK, we're all FOTSGs now.
Not me! I didn't need this extension at all! I have 1,000 SQM already!
Old Apr 4, 21, 10:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
I do not see the expiration date of my priority awards yet - expiration date is still set at Oct 25, 2021.

When should I see this extension of expiration date by a year?
Old Apr 4, 21, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
I do not see the expiration date of my priority awards yet - expiration date is still set at Oct 25, 2021.

When should I see this extension of expiration date by a year?

@FlyerGoldII
The AC Press Release from March 31that was linked upthread, had the following statement. Let's assume if AC said it will be extended, they will eventually update everyone's Benefits' pages.

Air Canada is also extending the validity of all unused Priority Reward vouchers issued in 2020 by one full year, making them valid for use until October 2022.

This info was also in the second paragraph of the email that was sent out.

Edit to Add: AC Press Release now listed in the wiki

Last edited by 24left; Apr 4, 21 at 10:25 am
Old Apr 4, 21, 10:29 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 24left View Post
@FlyerGoldII
The AC Press Release from March 31that was linked upthread, had the following statement. Let's assume if AC said it will be extended, they will eventually update everyone's Benefits' pages.

This info was also in the second paragraph of the email that was sent out.

Edit to Add: AC Press Release now listed in the wiki
I would have thought they would extended the expiration date of the priority awards almost immediately after the date that the date the announcement of the Aeroplan status extension came out; similar to the Flight Pass expiration date beling extended almost immediately.
Old May 8, 21, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
I would have thought they would extended the expiration date of the priority awards almost immediately after the date that the date the announcement of the Aeroplan status extension came out; similar to the Flight Pass expiration date beling extended almost immediately.
I have 11 priority rewards showing in my account. 4 expire October 2021.the rest 2022. So who knows. I am looking forward to 2022 travel deals! I will be banking miles and priority rewards until then! I will probably requalify for 75k organically in 2021, it will sure be some jump start to 2022. I will hit Super Elite status by April if I keep on my usual schedul.
Old May 9, 21, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
I just want to confirm something about how the status extension works alongside the rollover:
Anyone who is already above 25k status (let's say, for example, 75k status), they would get their status extended thru 2022. Assuming you earn 25k SQM and 3k SQD in 2021, you wouldn't earn 25k as you would already be 75k Status for the next year, but the 25k SQM and 3k SQD would still rollover, correct?
Old May 9, 21, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
I just want to confirm something about how the status extension works alongside the rollover:
Anyone who is already above 25k status (let's say, for example, 75k status), they would get their status extended thru 2022. Assuming you earn 25k SQM and 3k SQD in 2021, you wouldn't earn 25k as you would already be 75k Status for the next year, but the 25k SQM and 3k SQD would still rollover, correct?
Sounds about right. I hope to rollover 70k+ Miles and $20k+ to make for a quick run up to super elite.
Dave510 likes this.
Old May 26, 21, 10:33 am

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS, Marriott Gold
An appreciated gesture from AC since I always select lower-requal benefit without really thinking lol -

In light of the impact of COVID‑19 on your travel plans, a few weeks ago we announced that your 2021 Elite Status will be automatically extended through the end of 2022.

This announcement came after you had already selected the Lower Requalification Level benefit to help you requalify for Elite Status more easily. Now that your status is already secure for 2022, this choice wouldn’t give you the same value you had expected when you selected it.

In acknowledgement of this, early next year, you’ll receive a one‑time deposit of

• 5,000 Status Qualifying Miles and
• 5 Status Qualifying Segments
Old May 26, 21, 10:36 am

Was also pleasantly surprised to receive that email just now!
Old May 26, 21, 10:58 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Gold Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by trek604 View Post
An appreciated gesture from AC since I always select lower-requal benefit without really thinking lol -
I must admit that I have always wondered the value of this benefit, especially as I used to choose it. In the last number of years of being SE, the value of the additional AE miles/points is not insignificant (selecting the bonus). It would seem to make sense to do a mileage run to make up the miles or segments rather than selecting the lower level to requalify. I guess that comes down to personal preference, but I would be curious as to what others think.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: