Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Buddy Pass can be converted to 30k points

Old Mar 24, 21, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Marriott

https://princeoftravel.com/blog/aero...roplan-points/

Although this isnít being publicly promoted by Air Canada, Iíve confirmed through an internal source that the Air Canada Buddy Pass can now be exchanged for 30,000 Aeroplan points Ė a feature thatís being introduced in recognition of the reality around travel planning during the pandemic.
ericw and Yul_voyager like this.
Old Mar 24, 21, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC50 MM
This is very welcome, as I was wondering if I'd ever be able to use it before it expires.
Old Mar 24, 21, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I figure I'll hold it until expiry, then convert if I have no use. Hard to say what I'll want to do with it in 6+ months.
mileageking, Bohemian1 and Aselwyn like this.
Old Mar 24, 21, 8:33 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Gold
Amazing! I was planning to waste it because I don't want a "buddy" for my trips lol
Old Mar 25, 21, 5:45 am

Programs: Hilton Gold - Air Canada 25K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I figure I'll hold it until expiry, then convert if I have no use. Hard to say what I'll want to do with it in 6+ months.
ya it can get great value but you really need a particular high cost NA trip to use it
Old Mar 25, 21, 9:22 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Has anyone on FT tried this successfully? I don't even know where on ac.com to see if I have the buddy pass, or how many, given I have a few of the cards.
Old Mar 25, 21, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
Has anyone on FT tried this successfully? I don't even know where on ac.com to see if I have the buddy pass, or how many, given I have a few of the cards.
Not FT, but a report on Reddit in r/ChurningCanada https://www.reddit.com/r/churningcan...points/gs44w3q
Old Mar 26, 21, 7:50 am

Called Aeroplan Call Centre last night and confirmed the 30,000 option. Agent said it could take six to eight weeks to process, but that is fine with me.

I have no expectation to travel Y with anyone else to an expensive North American destination anytime soon, but need to accumulate plenty of points for international business class travel, where (if seats are available), Aeroplan delivers best points for dollar value.
Old Mar 26, 21, 10:55 am

Awesome. Just applied for the CIBC Visa Infinite, whose offer is 20k + Buddy Pass (so now 50k) and FYF.
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Mar 26, 21, 10:07 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
For someone who had the Infinite Privilege card before the Buddy Pass was announced, it would be nice if they extended this offer to the Annual Worldwide Companion Pass (awarded at 25k spend). $599 annual fee, and most of the perks are useless this year.
tomvancouver and kenlor like this.
Old Mar 27, 21, 11:39 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Does aeroplan.com show these passes, or can only agents see it when you call in?
Old Mar 27, 21, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Bonaventure View Post
Does aeroplan.com show these passes, or can only agents see it when you call in?
@Bonaventure

It would appear under your Benefits when you are logged in. This is a screen shot from the PoT article linked by the OP above.

Old Mar 27, 21, 5:17 pm

If I got a buddy pass for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite, can I get another buddy pass if I apply for a TD Aeropaln Visa Infinite? Thinking about trading in my current one for 30k, but I could make use of one later this year.
Old Mar 27, 21, 6:03 pm

Programs: AC Super Elite, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
If I got a buddy pass for the CIBC Aeroplan Visa Infinite, can I get another buddy pass if I apply for a TD Aeropaln Visa Infinite? Thinking about trading in my current one for 30k, but I could make use of one later this year.
Switching banks won't help you, but there's verbiage here that may. bolding mine:

This one-time Welcome Bonus offer of a bonus Buddy Pass is only valid for eligible cardholders. You will not be eligible for the Welcome Bonus offer of a Buddy Pass if you have previously opened an Aeroplan program credit card of the same type, regardless of the credit card issuer and have received the Welcome Bonus offer in the last 12 months. This offer may be changed, cancelled or extended at any time and cannot be combined with any other offers.
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...nite-card.html
Old Mar 28, 21, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Points Poppa View Post
Awesome. Just applied for the CIBC Visa Infinite, whose offer is 20k + Buddy Pass (so now 50k) and FYF.
FYI, supposedly the offer to convert the buddy pass to 30K points expires April 30. If true, it's unlikely you'll get the pass in time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: