Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan selling points with up to 100% bonus (March 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan selling points with up to 100% bonus (March 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:15 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
Aeroplan 💎🙌 🚀🚀🚀 to the moon!
canadiancow likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan unknown
YYC to BKK Business Classs

I am finding if booking Business class to Asia, using points is a better deal than paying cash. So I think this deal might be something I'll do.
I just booked 3x YYC to BKK(all segments in Business Class) Return for 510k points. My converted cost is $7650 for 3 of Us assuming the points cost me 1.5 cents each.
This did take a little effort, patience and flexibility.
mapleg, YOWgary and EdmFlyBoi like this.

Last edited by JohnYYC; Mar 24, 2021 at 10:37 am Reason: added info
Old Mar 24, 2021, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I know you're kind of an expert in this forum, and I've dropped off during covid as travel has been basically impossible...

I'm not usually into last minute, and when I am it's in Y. I'm no longer super elite, so IKK doesn't really apply to me anymore, my status is with Asiana and will be for the forseeable future. I've also never used miles for F because I didn't really think it was worth the upcharge because I never found and long haul F that appealed to me.

But what I'll ask is, does the value still exist for mini-RTWs and multi stop itineraries? I've been making my AP miles work really hard for me over the past few years with multiple mini-RTWs in both Y and J. I know they dropped the 2nd stopover, but that was SUPPOSEDLY coming back, dunno if that's happened yet or not.

But even just a single stopover if the routing rules are flexible can extract pretty good value. Like if I can get a multi day stopover in Tokyo on a J award to SYD, that's a flight that would cost way more than the miles are worth. That's my kind of redemption. For me it's almost never going to be YVR-PEK in J as a redemption, because I know the value is more heavily weighted to just paying for the ticket. Is there still value in the program for me, in your opinion?

I don't think I'm going to be purchasing more miles, I was thinking about it, but I bought during the big promo back in the summer anyway and haven't touched my miles since then, so I don't NEED more. But it is attractive to run at least one of these buy a ticket, then cancel for miles and bonus transactions.

A "for instance" booking I'm looking at that I think would likely be better with miles is...YVR-VVO (if available to VVO, if not, just to PEK/ICN/NRT) then return MOW-YVR, all done around Christmas/NYE. I'm gonna try and attend World Junior hockey in Siberia in winter 2022. Far away, sure, variables are present, but a one way from Russia and a one way to Russia/Far East would likely be crazy expensive with cash.
There is still definitely good value for J, but I don't think Canada-TYO is good enough value to buy these points. And I think that applies to many routes.

I don't know if YVR-TYO-SYD is good. What does NH charge for it?

All I know is that lately (i.e. past year or two), I've been finding pretty good cash J fares where and when I want to travel, relative to buying points at 1.5 cents.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
I just bought enough to cover the 181K points I redeemed today for 4 tix in business next winter to Puerto Rico. Total cash cost today across the points, taxes on the points, taxes on the award was about $3400, So only $850 a ticket per person and I figured I can always cancel it later and this is at least half off the cash price - at least this is the logic I used to convince the family just now. What was interesting was that looking for 4 tickets near the lower range of pricing in business is tough but not impossible, many of the other typical sun destinations were easily double this.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 7:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I used to think Aeroplan was worthwhile for:
1. F
2. Last-minute
3. IKK
I found great value for one-way intercontinental premium travel. (Or at least it was before the recent devaluation.)
Old Mar 24, 2021, 8:15 pm

Programs: AC *P
Seems like if you were going to go for the lowest tier with 60% bonus, the cancellation for 65% works out better... but this math doesn't seem to work as well for the 80%/100% bonus tiers.

One consideration is if you have an AC gift card, you can do the 65% cancellation trick but you cannot use points.com.
Old Mar 24, 2021, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I found great value for one-way intercontinental premium travel. (Or at least it was before the recent devaluation.)
Great point. Maybe lump that in with last-minute as "things where revenue fares are consistently ridiculously expensive".
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Great point. Maybe lump that in with last-minute as "things where revenue fares are consistently ridiculously expensive".
But with pricing being linked to revenue fares, unless it's I space on partners, I'm not convinced we're going to be able to find those much with the new program.

(Note that living in a *A backwater served internationally only by AC and with very limited availability on UA's small number of TB flights makes me particularly sensitive to this point)
Old Mar 24, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
But with pricing being linked to revenue fares, unless it's I space on partners, I'm not convinced we're going to be able to find those much with the new program.

(Note that living in a *A backwater served internationally only by AC and with very limited availability on UA's small number of TB flights makes me particularly sensitive to this point)
I think X/I on AC still prices quite reasonably (sometimes below the partner prices if you're SE). But yes, I agree.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
I'm surprised to find that it honestly makes sense for me to take this deal.

We'll end up going to Europe shortly after we get vaccinated. Cash tickets YOW-FCO are $950-1050 each for Standard, and there's two of us going.

If I buy 60,000 points, and get 60,000 bonus, I've spent $1,800, and I'll be able to redeem two 75K Priority Rewards for two instantly-eUppable Latitude tickets for 101,000 points total. I'll have 19,000 points left over, more than we would have earned flying Standard (4,478 + Altitude bonus = 7,836 for me, 6,045 for the Mrs = 13,881 total). We'll pay less than Standard costs, and fly Business both ways, and if our flights get cancelled we can refund the tickets. Only thing I'm missing out on is the SQM, and I can live with that.

I continue to be convinced that 75K is the sweet spot of the new program.
ksm06 and jasdou like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by YOWgary
I'm surprised to find that it honestly makes sense for me to take this deal.

We'll end up going to Europe shortly after we get vaccinated. Cash tickets YOW-FCO are $950-1050 each for Standard, and there's two of us going.

If I buy 60,000 points, and get 60,000 bonus, I've spent $1,800, and I'll be able to redeem two 75K Priority Rewards for two instantly-eUppable Latitude tickets for 101,000 points total. I'll have 19,000 points left over, more than we would have earned flying Standard (4,478 + Altitude bonus = 7,836 for me, 6,045 for the Mrs = 13,881 total). We'll pay less than Standard costs, and fly Business both ways, and if our flights get cancelled we can refund the tickets. Only thing I'm missing out on is the SQM, and I can live with that.

I continue to be convinced that 75K is the sweet spot of the new program.
I think it is a smart strategy. I would probably do the exact same thing if I was not already sitting on a decent chunk of points.

And I agree, as an E75K member, I am quite happy with the program.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:32 pm

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
So what do people think? How many points is "too much" that would you consider not buying more points?
Old Apr 1, 2021, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by cooleddie
So what do people think? How many points is "too much" that would you consider not buying more points?
I think it would depend on individual member's priorities and goals for this year going into next. There is a lot to consider if one should buy and how much. Spend dollars to buy points at 100% bonus, priority rewards at 50% off J for SEs, doubling down to qualify the hard way for your status this year and rollover SQD & SQM into next, credit card rollovers, maximizing thresholds going into next year, etc. It'll come down to what your objectives are and where you like to spend your dollars. Of course one can also have unlimited dollars or a large budget and do everything. Your current Aeroplan points balance also plays a factor. I do think 100% bonus is a solid promotion.
Old Apr 2, 2021, 10:59 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
As someone who doesn't have status and who primarily redeems for TATL J to Europe, I think this was an excellent promotion. I bought 60,000 points (with the 100% bonus) and ended up with 120,000 points for $1,800.

You can turn those 120,000 points into a fantastic redemption value within the first distance band of 0-4,000 miles. Routes like YYZ-CPH, YYZ-AMS, or YYZ-MAD generally require around 56,000-58,000 points each way, so this promotion gives you enough points for round-trip TATL J, North America to Europe, for $1,800.

For my leisure travel purposes, getting the equivalent of paid J from North America to Europe for only $900 each way was a fantastic deal.

Last edited by jtpc; Apr 7, 2021 at 6:30 pm
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:29 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
I didn't land up buying any. Oh well.

Also was pretty cynical about another potential devaluation.

Last edited by cooleddie; Apr 3, 2021 at 4:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.