Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2021, 11:50 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Child 2 has been instructed on how to maximize the benefits for her upcoming exodus to YYZ.

Given that a lot of her OP (at least for her) revenue travel has been in J, I feel confident that she will extract maximum value for her entitlements.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Aug 13, 2021 at 11:51 am Reason: Where there's a way, there's a will.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Has anyone attempted to use the lounge on arrival with a STPA?

I've successfully added the SSR to my cousin's booking, but she wants to know if she can get in on arrival.

Because apparently departure lounge, bags, and priority services aren't sufficient.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Because apparently departure lounge, bags, and priority services aren't sufficient.
You've trained your cousin too well!
Old Aug 14, 2021, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sounds like what my FOTSG friends and family would do, even after all information has been conveyed to them.
That's unfortunate. I would just stop giving stuff to those people and instead give it to those who made good use of it

Has anyone attempted to use the lounge on arrival with a STPA.
Is STPA a code that gets added to the BP or PNR that lets AC staff know the person has a status pass on the booking? Or are you just trying to be cool in coming up with an abbreviation?
Old Aug 14, 2021, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
That's unfortunate. I would just stop giving stuff to those people and instead give it to those who made good use of it

Is STPA a code that gets added to the BP or PNR that lets AC staff know the person has a status pass on the booking? Or are you just trying to be cool in coming up with an abbreviation?
It's the SSR that gets added to the PNR. Similar to FQTV or CHML.
Old Aug 14, 2021, 9:24 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
It's the SSR that gets added to the PNR. Similar to FQTV or CHML.
Feature request for the PNR checker cowtool. As a status pass provider, I would like to see if the pass has been correctly been applied to my recipient's booking.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by TechnoTourist
Feature request for the PNR checker cowtool. As a status pass provider, I would like to see if the pass has been correctly been applied to my recipient's booking.
I like it, but that might be tough. Let me see what I can do.
YOWgary and TechnoTourist like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Has anyone attempted to use the lounge on arrival with a STPA?

I've successfully added the SSR to my cousin's booking, but she wants to know if she can get in on arrival.

I was able to talk my parents into the YYC lounge on arrival with the status pass applied to their reservation, but the system, by default, rejected them from entering when the BP was scanned. But then again, the “system” also rejected them from using the priority security lane at YYZ (which they are clearly entitled to). The rationale I used with the agent was the Status Pass essentially applied 50k status to the Status Pass holder, so they should get access. Seems like a YMMV situation until AC decides to clarify the benefit.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 3:52 pm

For the most part, it effectively applies 50K status, but there are many things it doesn't do. Like allow guesting into the MLL.

I don't think I'd argue it, but it's definitely worth writing in about priority security, and maybe even asking about arrival access.

I'm my case, it's a YYZ-YHZ flight, so it's moot at the moment, but might be relevant in the departure date.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:16 pm

Gave one to a friend who doesnt fly often, YYZ-YYC, cheapest fare. All seemed to go well. Including she got an op-up to J (husband on same PNR did not).
canadiancow and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Aug 15, 2021, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlying
Gave one to a friend who doesnt fly often, YYZ-YYC, cheapest fare. All seemed to go well. Including she got an op-up to J (husband on same PNR did not).
That's cool, but I'm confused.

The STPA SSR is applied to the PNR, not a specific segment it passenger.

I guess they needed one person, and her sequence number must have been lower than her husband's.
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Thanks, good to know.
For the friend that was able to use a status pass of yours, did they take advantage of every or most perks available to them?
I feel like it would be a waste if they used the status pass just for, say, a domestic MLL and that's it. Also, I'm sure a FOTSG might not even know where to go or what to do in certain situations with the status pass.
They have not flown yet, will be flying domestic at the end of this month. Student heading to Univ so its really for the free bags.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by vernonc
Student heading to Univ so its really for the free bags.
Ditto for Child 2 on her way to YYZ this Thursday. We will see how YVR check-in staff deal with this. I'll have 24left 's screen shot and URL at the ready just in case.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by vernonc
They have not flown yet, will be flying domestic at the end of this month. Student heading to Univ so its really for the free bags.
Yeah, I've noticed that those whom I've gifted status to in the past tend to appreciate the free bags and the lounge... and nothing else. I suspect it will be similar with the STPA.
Old Aug 19, 2021, 12:13 pm

A recent (today) data point.

Child 2 successfully checked in for AC108, had revised bag limit recognized including priority handling, got into the MLL and boarded in Zone 2, all as advertised. No need to remind or poke check-in staff at all.

To be fair, this was at YVR Priority check-in where they should be aware of this benefit. But the whole thing was silky smooth. I'm glad she had her Nexus card though - the steerage class security line up was something else entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.