Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2023, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nomad346
Does anyone know where the Status Pass benefit for SEs is accessed? On the website it points to the Benefits page, but I don't see it there. Should I be looking somewhere else? I even tried looking at All Benefits in the AC Mobile app but don't see it.
All the details are in the wiki.

Anyone who has a status pass to gift (the person with elite status - E50K, E75K, Super Elite) will find a "Redeem" link under the status pass tile on their AC dashboard. The process is simply & intuitive from there on.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Mar 6, 2023 at 5:41 pm Reason: Edit to reflect thread move
Old Mar 22, 2023, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
After my cousin was denied LAX MLL entry on the return of his STPA booking, AC offered me a 20% code.

Like... I see more value in that code. But I'm not convinced this complaint is going to effect any change, based on the standard template being used in my reply.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 3:16 am

I’m debating whether to gift friends a status pass or MLL lounge passes. They’re mainly looking to maximize lounge access.

They’re flying:
AC: YYZ > YUL
QR: YUL > DOH
QR: DOH > YUL
AC: YUL > YYZ

I know with an STPA they’ll have lounge access at YYZ outbound departure and YUL inbound transit.

But I’m wondering (and simultaneously doubting) whether anyone thinks they’ll get any lounge benefits at the domestic or international lounges at YUL transit outbound (since they’ll be arriving on an AC flight and departing on AC’s pseudo partner QR), or YYZ inbound arrival (since they’ll arrive on AC)?

If not, I may as well just gift lounge passes, since lounge passes have no possibility of access to lounges when departing on a non AC international flight or on arrival even on AC.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA PLAT, EK GOLD, Hilton Diamond
Multi City with United

Booking a trip for my daughter to Europe (multicity), with the return portion being DUB-EWR with UA, and EWR-YVR with AC. If I apply a STPA to her itinerary, will she get free baggage checking in with UA in DUB? Eventhough it is a AC ticket, for the return portion, would UA be seen as the MSC?
Old Apr 3, 2023, 4:19 pm

It has nothing to do with MSC. Read the Status Pass page on AC.com. it answers your question.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:26 am

Status pass in LAX

Gave daughter and partner a status pass for their YOW-YYZ-LAX and back trip. No issues on way out.
Eyeing their boarding passes for return trip, the LAX pass notes the presence of a status pass. It has priority security but no lounge access. There is lounge access in Toronto.
Is this correct? Thought their was an Air Canada lounge in LA

Last edited by annehamnitz; Apr 16, 2023 at 6:29 am Reason: inaccurate
Old Apr 16, 2023, 12:09 pm

Kids were told LAX Maple Leaf lounge was only for "first class". Given that the beast does not exist, sure that is wrong but told them not to fuss - they'll get fed and watered in PE
Will f/u with Air Canada
Old Apr 16, 2023, 1:54 pm

Yup that's also where my cousin was denied. Very strange.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Yup that's also where my cousin was denied. Very strange.
Guessing that there was a discussion with Air Canada?
Old Apr 16, 2023, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Guessing that there was a discussion with Air Canada?
I wrote in and they gave me a 20% coupon.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:18 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Gifted a friend on a basic fare YYJ-YVR-HKG an STPA. OLCI didn't offer the increased baggage allowance, so I advised him to try at the airport check in. At YYJ, the first check in agent wasn't familiar with STPAs and kept asking to see the pass when asking for the free checked bags. Eventually it was sorted, but I was present, and that usually helps.

At YVR during boarding my friend received an op-up to O on AC007! I'd say that's pretty fortunate on a status pass and basic fare, I did make sure he checked in when the window opened.

I'm a little worried about the additional baggage allowance working properly at HKG where I won't be there to back him up, we will see how that goes.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 11:46 pm

Programs: SE 100K
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
At YVR during boarding my friend received an op-up to O on AC007! I'd say that's pretty fortunate on a status pass and basic fare, I did make sure he checked in when the window opened.
Flight full? Oversold? Interesting datapoint... I can't recall seeing anyone post about something similar with a status pass earlier in this thread.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:08 am

Someone else did report something similar. STPA is advertised as giving you "standby priority" which really means "onload priority".

I don't know exactly where you rank, but it's above 35K.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
Originally Posted by CanadianMike
Flight full? Oversold? Interesting datapoint... I can't recall seeing anyone post about something similar with a status pass earlier in this thread.
flight was J4 O1 Y0 at T-24, so likely oversold in Y.
Old Apr 24, 2023, 6:44 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Nitehawk
Gifted a friend on a basic fare YYJ-YVR-HKG an STPA. OLCI didn't offer the increased baggage allowance, so I advised him to try at the airport check in. At YYJ, the first check in agent wasn't familiar with STPAs and kept asking to see the pass when asking for the free checked bags. Eventually it was sorted, but I was present, and that usually helps.

I'm a little worried about the additional baggage allowance working properly at HKG where I won't be there to back him up, we will see how that goes.
There is some problem with the baggage issue. I gave my daughter a status pass and online checkin still wanted payment for the bags. The checkin agent also wanted payment. In the end, she called me from the airport and I told the agent to check that there was a status pass, she checked and called a supervisor and eventually waived the fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.