Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
Status Pass also provide priority meal selection

One other item a status does seem to generate, meal priority status on the flights. My daughter recently flew from Canada to London in Premium economy - aeroplan reward. She has Zero status. She was asked 1st about her meal choice and watched the flight attendant move around the cabin asking others. She recognized it was based on status, on both international flights. She had one of my Super Elite Status pass on her ticket. She also got entry to the domestic and international lounges, which I think is a stated benefit. I did not see meal priority as a stated benefit.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by The Macker
One other item a status does seem to generate, meal priority status on the flights. My daughter recently flew from Canada to London in Premium economy - aeroplan reward. She has Zero status. She was asked 1st about her meal choice and watched the flight attendant move around the cabin. She had one of my Super Elite Status pass on her ticket. She also got entry to the domestic and international lounges, which I think is a stated benefit. I did not see meal priority as a stated benefit.
It's not a stated or unstated benefit.

It's just another example of FAs making up their own rules.
Old Oct 5, 2022, 1:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23
When it happened both ways, and she was traveling alone. So the person next to her, did not get their request until almost the end of the people in Premium - coming and going, which is what makes me believe it is an additional benefit. They also mentioned her by name did not the the same for the person next to her.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 7:51 am

AC Status Pass error

Hi everyone,

I awarded a status pass to a friend, but got an error when I applying it from iPhone.

Immediately I retried, but got the error that a pass had already been applied to the booking. Seems good I thought … ?

The beneficiary is supposed to receive an email confirmation. This has not happened.

How can I confirm that the pass has been applied ? Can I tell in the Cow tool ??

Appreciate your help.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Clark_Shuster
Hi everyone,

I awarded a status pass to a friend, but got an error when I applying it from iPhone.

Immediately I retried, but got the error that a pass had already been applied to the booking. Seems good I thought … ?

The beneficiary is supposed to receive an email confirmation. This has not happened.

How can I confirm that the pass has been applied ? Can I tell in the Cow tool ??

Appreciate your help.
They don't receive an email confirmation. Check in the Cow Tool which will have a note if a status pass is applied or on aircanada.com by going to "Access a flight booking" under My Bookings from the homepage which generates confetti if the pass was successfully applied.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:55 am

You’re right ! No email, it was the confetti I was thinking of.

Here’s the thing, the Cow tool confirms that the status pass is attached … but the App isn’t doing it’s confetti thing.

Thoughts ?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:31 am

Trust my tool.
Clark_Shuster likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Fairplay mate !

as an afterthought, I might not get the App confetti since it’s my status.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by The Macker
When it happened both ways, and she was traveling alone. So the person next to her, did not get their request until almost the end of the people in Premium - coming and going, which is what makes me believe it is an additional benefit. They also mentioned her by name did not the the same for the person next to her.
So the status pass recipient shows the "benefactor's" status next to their name on the PIL?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
So the status pass recipient shows the "benefactor's" status next to their name on the PIL?
No
yyznomad likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:36 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by Clark_Shuster
Hi everyone,

Appreciate your help.
I also got an error, but when I clicked share pass again, it said that it was already applied and it showed up on the sent tab.
No email was sent.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
I have searched the thread (all 22 pages) and the wiki, but can't find this situation described:

Gave my son status pass for upcoming trip (confirmed on website)
Flights are booked on AC Reward ticket (Economy)
Legs 1 and 2 are on LH, Leg 3 on AC
Check-in will be at PRG (no AC operations)

Question: What are the odds that the status pass will be recognized, specifically the 3 free bags????
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Yhztraveller
I have searched the thread (all 22 pages) and the wiki, but can't find this situation described:

Gave my son status pass for upcoming trip (confirmed on website)
Flights are booked on AC Reward ticket (Economy)
Legs 1 and 2 are on LH, Leg 3 on AC
Check-in will be at PRG (no AC operations)

Question: What are the odds that the status pass will be recognized, specifically the 3 free bags????
It only applies when you're checking in with AC, so... zero.
Old Dec 5, 2022, 10:40 am

Programs: AC SE100K, AC .995 MM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold,Hertz something or other, Sandals Sapphire, etc
Originally Posted by canadiancow
It only applies when you're checking in with AC, so... zero.
That's what I thought.....
Old Dec 15, 2022, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mendy7511
I also got an error, but when I clicked share pass again, it said that it was already applied and it showed up on the sent tab.
No email was sent.
Same BS just happened to me.
Got an error. Said it was already applied despite still showing only one applied from January 3 of this year.
Refreshed account and it showed it was applied. Recipient logged in and received the confetti party (cannot confirm or deny if there was a ta-doo-dah involved) on their booking.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.