Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Bohemian1
A status pass does not confer your status to the recipient.
So, for example, if you are Super Elite, your beneficiary does not get or have Super Elite privileges. They do not get any kind of Star Alliance Gold privileges.

What is a status pass?
A status pass (sometimes abbreviated as "STPA") grants passengers many of the benefits of elite status (detailed below). One status pass is applied to a booking and extends benefits to all passengers (up to 9), on all flights, on that booking.

The benefits of the STPA don't exactly correspond to any elite tier.

The status pass must be applied before travel commences. It cannot be applied after any flights have been taken. It is unclear whether there is a deadline to apply the pass. A pass can be removed from a booking up to 6 hours before travel commences.

What does a status pass get you?
  • Priority check-in
  • Free checked bags (3 per passenger), with priority baggage handling
  • Priority security
  • Access to Maple Leaf Lounges ("MLL", including international lounges) and Cafés, prior to your departing flight
  • Priority boarding (Zone 2)
  • Priority standby
  • Unpublished benefit: the STPA seems to confer eUp priority similar to 50K status
  • More details in the FAQ here

What DOESN'T a status pass get you?
  • Access to Signature Suites
  • Access to lounges not operated by AC
  • Free seat selection
  • MLL guesting privileges
  • E50K status (some of the status pass benefits are similar, but are certainly not comprehensively equivalent to E50K)
  • *G status

How does a status pass get added to a reservation?
The pass must be applied by the person with elite status (E50K, E75K, Super Elite). It can be done through the AC app or via the AC website.

In order to apply the pass, you will need the PNR (booking reference) and last name of any of the passengers on the PNR.

How do I know if the Status Pass actually was added? How can the PAX prove to airport staff that they have one?
The person granting the pass should see the pass applied in their Benefits section under Status Pass. Look at sent passes.

cowtool PNR lookup will indicate "A status pass has been applied" for reservations where it has been successfully applied.

The PAX should have "STPA" on their boarding pass.

Are status passes different depending on the status of the person giving the pass?
No. All status passes are the same. Whether the pass was given by an 50K or a Super Elite is irrelevant.

My status pass expires December 31 2023. What does that mean?
The status pass must be applied before the expiry date. The actual travel can take place any time in the future.

Do they work for award and cash bookings?
They can be applied to both.

Print Wikipost

Status Passes - what are they and how to use them?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Per all the written documentation on status passes, I'd expect it to work.

But based on how it's actually implemented (everything codes on the BP), I don't see how any of it would work for a flight not operated by AC.
Yeah. Thanks.

I wonder if they are able to get their outbound (LH) BP, printed up by AC when they checkin at YYC ... who knows, maybe the LH BP will have enough AC magic embedded in it.

I'm leaning towards trying it, and perhaps I'll tell them to make sure they have their original (YYC-FRA) AC BPs available too ... and if it doesn't work, then c'est la vie.

Will report back here once they've flown (in a couple of weeks) so that we can all learn.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Person X with companion entering MLL and speaking to MLL agent.

X: This is a Status Pass that my dad gave me and I have one guest.
Agent: Sorry, the pass does not allow guests.
X: With this pass, I now have Elite status, and Elite status means I get a guest.
Agent: Sorry, there are no guests on a Status Pass
X: But I have Elite status because of this pass. I am now Elite.
Agent: Sorry, there are no guests allowed on a Status Pass.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I really think they botched the naming on this.

I can't even get upset with X there. Like if a status pass doesn't give you status, what does it do?
yyznomad likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
I gifted a status pass to someone flying to SYD a couple weeks ago. I just found out in this thread it was effectively useless for him since he would not have been able to bring his spouse into the MLL.

Whoops. I hope he at least made use of extra bags or something.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WaytoomuchEurope
I gifted a status pass to someone flying to SYD a couple weeks ago. I just found out in this thread it was effectively useless for him since he would not have been able to bring his spouse into the MLL.

Whoops. I hope he at least made use of extra bags or something.
Everyone on the PNR gets MLL access. But no guests.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*
Everyone on the PNR gets MLL access. But no guests.
Okay, good. I wondered how I had misunderstood it. No wonder he didn't complain.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I really think they botched the naming on this.

I can't even get upset with X there. Like if a status pass doesn't give you status, what does it do?
I didn't get the full conversation so I wasn't sure if the agent had already checked to see if they were on the same PNR.

But yeah, I couldn't help but think that the name of the product makes it worse.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 3:56 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Does anyone know if the status pass gives increased checked luggage weight? I can't find it anywhere. Our son is going on a vacation with ACV and he's afraid that his bag may be above 50 lbs of weight.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
Does anyone know if the status pass gives increased checked luggage weight? I can't find it anywhere. Our son is going on a vacation with ACV and he's afraid that his bag may be above 50 lbs of weight.
it gives the extra weight. Used one at Christmas gifted from here and had 3 bags all over 50lbs. No issues at check in
Old Apr 11, 2022, 5:17 am

So just I quick question does the staus pass can use the arrival maple leaf lounge for domestic flight?
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:14 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, *G, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Enterprise Plat
Originally Posted by edmond00
So just I quick question does the staus pass can use the arrival maple leaf lounge for domestic flight?
edited per below (thanks Quail ): No. You can only use MLL as an arrival lounge if you are 50K, 75K, SE, or VIP.

Last edited by yyckerr; Apr 11, 2022 at 1:09 pm Reason: incorrect info
Old Apr 11, 2022, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by yyckerr
No. You can only use MLL as an arrival lounge if you are SE.
75k and 50k (and VIP) also
yyznomad and nomadic.relief like this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Status passes don't work for ACV packages?

I just tried to give a status pass for his trip to VRA. I've got an error message saying there is an error. The fare basis is F0ACV1. Did this happen to anyone else?
Old May 1, 2022, 1:42 pm

So if I am a 50K member, my multiple travel companions in the same reservation will not share 3 bags and lounge access, unless I'm mistaken.
But if I apply a Status Pass to one of my travel companions, then up to 9 of them will each have those benefits.

Has anyone tried to apply a Status Pass to someone in the same reservation? I'm asking because I'm going to book a flight for a group of 9 people and I'm hoping that our entire group 3 bags and lounge access.
Old May 22, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver; Air Canada 25K; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Platinum
SE status pass and using LH lounges in Frankfurt

My son and his friend will be traveling YVR --> FRA on Air Canada and I applied a SE status pass to his itinerary. They have about a 12 hour layover (final destination NAP on Lufthansa). When they get into the Schengen area of FRA for their connecting NAP flight, will they be allowed access to a LH Senator lounge so as to be able to use the showers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.