Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

No more Emotional Support Animals (ESA)

Old Mar 5, 21, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ssibility.html

Please note we have adopted a new policy on the transport of service dogs, following substantial changes to the U.S. Department of Transportationís (DOT) rules on the topic. Effective March 1, 2021, emotional support animals are no longer accepted in the cabin.
Finally.
Old Mar 5, 21, 11:31 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Not that I think AC's customers ever abused this as badly as many US airline customers did, but this is still long overdue. Especially since I was never able to get my Emotional Support Bottle of Scotch on the plane with me
Old Mar 5, 21, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
About time! No more ferrets in J!
rstruthe likes this.
Old Mar 5, 21, 2:44 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Just had one with me on AC849 into YYZ on 01MAR - - and it was the young woman who checked into the Gateway and needed to order in dog food (see discussion on COVID hotels in the Canada destination thread). . . So - maybe she snuck in under the wire . . ?? or they didn't know?

It was however still small enough for normal PETC - so I expect that is still allowed.
Old Mar 5, 21, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I don't think ESAs were ever permitted on domestic/international routes - only transborder.

You can still have service animals and pets, but not ESAs.

However, they are allowing pre-booked ESAs until EOY, so you may still see them.
Old Mar 5, 21, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium
They were allowed domestically, was in J in late Jan and the young woman across the aisle from me had apparently was a dog but looked like ferret on her lap the whole flight.

When I asked the FA (politely) if the pet wasn't supposed to be in a carrier I was told off in a very snarky tone that it was an Emotional Support Animal as if I should have known and how could I be so insensitive...the same FA spent a good amount of time fawning over said ESA during the flight...maybe she needed one too!
Old Mar 5, 21, 5:11 pm

What's worse in J? A baby or an emotional support animal?
Old Mar 5, 21, 5:30 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
canadiancow how will you transport Ace now?
Dealing with AC-induced stress
Old Mar 5, 21, 5:34 pm
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by hoipolloi View Post
1) A couple deciding to have a baby tends to benefit society in the long run. Many pax will therefore tolerate a baby as long as parents make a reasonable effort to pacify the baby / infant / small kid.

2) The tolerance for psychologically challenged individuals who "need" an animal to leave the house or travel is much more limited.

3) This does not even account for the sanitary issues and pax who are allergic to animals etc.
YYC3722, gspurr, yyztozag and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 21, 7:22 pm

Programs: AC
It is a classic reload; repeat issue for me that happens all the time. I was never a fan but believe that some people truly do benefit from companion animals. Which should be specially trained for the role.
Only a few people can't survive the few hours without them. Problem is, the narcissists get involved, completely drown out the small minority who need it and mess it up. You can just go online now and print off a certificate from some "organization" certifying the need.
Old Mar 5, 21, 8:50 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
A baby emotional support animal.
etkuo likes this.
Old Mar 6, 21, 12:58 am
Original Member

I have encountered many things "in J" that were worse than either.
Old Mar 6, 21, 6:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by KenHamer View Post
I have encountered many things "in J" that were worse than either.
Yes Love - at British Airways we crew called them passengers

Actually - a baby cannot run amok up and down a cabin like that pig did on US Airways (mind you I wasn't surprised given how wonderful that carrier was), nor does it tend to bite. That is best left to the Senior Crew member. Seriously, this nonsense got completely out of hand in the USA and of course the abuse has caused all this. I have an Emotional Support Animal - I call him my husband. He is house trained and good with carrying things like shopping and luggage. He has been known to compare himself with a Beast of Burden, and so I am awaiting my entry into the records as being the only woman to travel with an ... on a plane. I do not travel Air Canada often but it has always been a pleasure. Forgive my frivolity but when I read the comparisons between animals and babies, I simply could not resist a topic which is not an issue in Europe as they do not allow such things.

Unfortunately most spoilsport airlines insist that I buy him a seat.
Old Mar 6, 21, 2:08 pm

Programs: AirInter, Wardair, Eastern
I expect confusion and some anger all because of the lack of clarity US law is specific to the USA. Canada has a stricter definition. The one common area of confusion will be in the definition of a service animal as a dog. Because the airlines will use interchangeable terms, I expect that some passengers will be confused. More importantly, the legal definitions still allow for psychiatric care service dogs on US flights and a more limited form on Canadian flights.

US DOT has this definition; Under the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) a service animal means a dog, regardless of breed or type, that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a qualified individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Animal species other than dogs, emotional support animals, comfort animals, companionship animals, and service animals in training are not service animals.

Canadian transportation Agency has this;

What is considered to be a service dog: The ATPDR define a service dog as a dog that has been individually trained by an organization or person specializing in service dog training; and performs a task to assist a person with a disability with a need related to their disability.
Tasks performed by service dogs and proof of training:Service dogs perform a variety of tasks to provide support in activities of daily living for a wide range of disabilities, including guiding persons who are blind; alerting persons who have hearing impairments to the presence of people or sounds, such as an alarm or telephone; pulling a wheelchair; recognizing specific changes that happen before a seizure and alerting a person; and providing assistance to a person with post traumatic stress disorder by providing a barrier against other people crowding too close to the person.

Ok, so we will be spared the presence of barnyard animals from Porky Pig to Pepe LePew, but we will still have people with their questionable purpose companion dogs

Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
1) A couple deciding to have a baby tends to benefit society in the long run. Many pax will therefore tolerate a baby as long as parents make a reasonable effort to pacify the baby / infant / small kid.
2) The tolerance for psychologically challenged individuals who "need" an animal to leave the house or travel is much more limited.
3) This does not even account for the sanitary issues and pax who are allergic to animals etc.
And away we go. That is your personal opinion.
One should not generalize. A person traveling on an airplane with a support animal may be a productive member of society because of that animal.
If a person is allergic to animals such that a medical crisis would occur if exposed to an animal dander or saliva proteins, then the person should not travel. The reason being that if that sensitive person was in proximity to a person covered with the material, that person would suffer the same reaction. Oddly enough, such an incident is never is reported, is it? And it is far more likely that such a sensitive person would be sitting in close proximity to a contaminated person than an animal.
CDN_BOBCAT likes this.
Old Mar 6, 21, 2:23 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Accor , ANA, Avios
As long as they don't take away support Gin and Tonics.
wrp96 and PUCCI GALORE like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: