Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroplan Award Rerouting

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Aeroplan Award Rerouting

I have an award in J YVR-IST-DXB on TK stopover in DXB continuing on to BKK on Thai for November. What happens if TK does not start the YVR route by then, will Aeroplan rebook me at no additional cost or will they cancel the ticket and make me rebook at new point rates?

Would it be a case of HUCA until I get an agent to fix at no additional cost?

The current itinerary came in at just under the 85,000 point band, not including stopover, and rerouting through any other city would push the mileage over the booked award band for NA-Asia and the points cost would go up.

Thanks,
Tobegold
Old Feb 24, 2021, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by tobegold
I have an award in J YVR-IST-DXB on TK stopover in DXB continuing on to BKK on Thai for November. What happens if TK does not start the YVR route by then, will Aeroplan rebook me at no additional cost or will they cancel the ticket and make me rebook at new point rates?

Would it be a case of HUCA until I get an agent to fix at no additional cost?

The current itinerary came in at just under the 85,000 point band, not including stopover, and rerouting through any other city would push the mileage over the booked award band for NA-Asia and the points cost would go up.

Thanks,
Tobegold
I haven't experienced this under the new program, but I would imagine they'll re-route you as long as the new routing is logical, and there's award space. I also would think they'd not charge additional miles due to this being an involuntary change.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:33 am

They will reroute you with no additional collection as long as award space is available. You will have a certain amount of flexibility +/- days from the original date to find availability, but it's unclear what the criteria are for +/- 3, 7, 30 (I've experienced all 3 answers on different calls when rebooking INVOL CXL that were booked under the old program, since the new program was implemented).
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
They will reroute you on (inferior) AC metal even if there is no space. They will reroute you on partners if there is space.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 9:46 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by rankourabu
They will reroute you on (inferior) AC metal even if there is no space. They will reroute you on partners if there is space.
In exactly the kind of situation OP describes, I've also been rerouted onto AC metal off of inferior products.

Plus, if YVR-IST isn't operating, then YVR-YYZ-IST-DXB with the second two legs on Turkish metal, would give you 15 hours in Turkish's 777 with the 2-3-2 layout, at which point I'd be considering YVR-YYZ-DXB in AC Dreamliners to be very much superior.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:32 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Also equally likely that TG will not be operating then either, and also most probable that you will have to undergo the Thai "COE"" and 2 week
quarantine process. I find that people playing with multi-city, multi-stop bookings into countries with severe entry provisions so far ahead
of intended travel are either playing Walter Mittyish fantasy games, or just setting themselves up for disappointment.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 11:43 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Also equally likely that TG will not be operating then either, and also most probable that you will have to undergo the Thai "COE"" and 2 week
quarantine process. I find that people playing with multi-city, multi-stop bookings into countries with severe entry provisions so far ahead
of intended travel are either playing Walter Mittyish fantasy games, or just setting themselves up for disappointment.
Aeroplan just extended its "anything you book now, you can refund for free" policy to April 30, which really suggests that they (and their partners) are perfectly fine with people making speculative bookings right now.

I think people who are still hoping to visit Japan this May are unlikely to realize that dream, but for example I've got a fully-vaccinated client who's planning now for a fall vacation using their Aeroplan miles. While they and I both know that the relevant border restrictions will likely change twice between now and then, they're fine with what we both believe to be a better-than-50%-chance, just to have something to look forward to.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IluvSQ
I have a contingency booking for the return flight DXB-IST-YVR just in case Thailand is closed or has quarantine.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tobegold
What happens if TK does not start the YVR route by then
I didn't realize that was a possibility. We have YVR-IST-BCN on TK booked in October using Aeroplan. I guess I'll have to keep on top of that.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 8:02 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I didn't realize that was a possibility. We have YVR-IST-BCN on TK booked in October using Aeroplan. I guess I'll have to keep on top of that.
In these times, any schedule beyond a few days out should be considered tentative. A few months out should be aspirational, at best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.