Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

I got $$ back from insurance but I still have an open credit with Air Canada.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2021, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Hello everyone,

Hope someone could help me out. I had some flights cancelled by Air Canada. I claimed it with my credit card insurance. When I logged in on Air Canada with the booking number, the flight still shows as an active credit with AC. Should I call AC to let them know I claimed these flights through my insurance or just ignore this completely? I don't think I can use the credit because I already got my money back.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When you made your claim, did you not have to certify to the insurer that you had not and would not accept anything of value from AC? If that is the case, it is your insurer with whom you need to speak.
seawolf likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2021, 9:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
What insurance paid out is between you and insurance. AC is not a part of this. You don’t need to call AC. They wouldn’t even know what to do if you told them your travel insurance paid out.

To Often1’s point, insurance payout would likely have been conditioned that you will not derive benefits from the covered ticket (thus the reason for submitting the claim). In theory nothing would stop you from using that AC ticket other than potentially violating agreement with your insurer.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Often1
When you made your claim, did you not have to certify to the insurer that you had not and would not accept anything of value from AC? If that is the case, it is your insurer with whom you need to speak.
I don't think the insurer want to talk about credits at Air Canada. If they did they payout they have closed the file.

Most ethical thing to do with them is ignore them. No human wants to talk about them and at some point a computer somewhere will realize all human have lost interest and expire them.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 6:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Fiordland
I don't think the insurer want to talk about credits at Air Canada. If they did they payout they have closed the file.

Most ethical thing to do with them is ignore them. No human wants to talk about them and at some point a computer somewhere will realize all human have lost interest and expire them.
In theory if the insurer wanted to audit, they have all the necessary information to call AC to inquire on the ticket status. If they find out that the ticket was subsequently used....
Fiordland likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by seawolf
In theory if the insurer wanted to audit, they have all the necessary information to call AC to inquire on the ticket status. If they find out that the ticket was subsequently used....
Agreed. Best thing to do is just ignore the credits and let them expire. Nothing to be gained by talking to either the insurance company or airline about them.
martyYOW likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.