Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

A suggestion to make Aeroplan luggage tags more useful: unique identification numbers

A suggestion to make Aeroplan luggage tags more useful: unique identification numbers

Old Feb 19, 2021, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I don't understand why there is a need for another number. The AP is unique to each customer is not?
When I travel with AC, my itinerary is linked to my AP number. Call up my AP number and look at activity, and any trip booked or in progress should show. Therefore, if AC had my bag with its AP number, it could contact me either by phone, sms or email and advise that it had my bag.
If the bag has its own number, then your Aeroplan number doesn't have to be displayed on the tag, which is better for your security. Also allows each tag to have a unique number so that you know exactly which bag it is (as long as you kept track when you put the tags on, or course).
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
I didn't like it one bit when AC removed your address and full name from the bag tags. Initially, I assumed they were just being cheap and trying to cut costs.

This sounds like a good idea as it could definitely work while still protecting your personal information at the same time. Though I don't see AC doing it at the same time...
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
So what? If something breaks, it doesn't work. True of just about anything. Should I not buy a car because it might break down, or not buy a cell phone because it might get smashed?
It is entirely your choice.

FWIW - there is a cost for providing personalized baggage tags. If the personalized tags do not yield any positivity, airlines will opt for a non-personalized one. As an example - years ago, my UA 1K tag was personalized. But it is no longer the case.

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
I'm not sure why your perspective is so narrow on this.
It is about cost to an airline, not just AC. If the tag can help AC paying less baggage compensation, then AC will definitely do that.

But if not, AC will tell you - why bother?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
That argument makes no sense, because the tags ARE customized. They say, in my case, "S Kennedy".

Assuming agents can query for 2020 SEs named "S Kennedy", it might be useful. But having some unique identifier that is safe to share (unlike one's Aeroplan number) would make it a lot easier.

And since they're already customizing the tags, I can't see the added cost being very significant.
Dave510, Adam Smith and FlY2XS like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:51 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - there is a cost for providing personalized baggage tags.
No one said there wasn't a cost. Of course it has a cost, just like the tags themselves, and every other FFP benefit.

It is about cost to an airline, not just AC. If the tag can help AC paying less baggage compensation, then AC will definitely do that.

But if not, AC will tell you - why bother?
It has nothing to do with baggage compensation. It's a service AC would provide to flyers with elite status. They can decide whether or not it's worth their while, but there certainly seem to be a number of people here who would like to have it.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:12 pm

Programs: AC 75k
There is still a cost to providing every Elite with 2 plastic luggage tags that right now only serve the purpose of saying "I'm important" and are otherwise near useless without an employee of AC taking a very special personal initiative. It would cost a few cents more to actually make them functional as a matter of corporate process in the current world to identify their owners.
This is something I have grumbled like an old man about more than once.
I would be happy to pay a small pittance, even giving AC a profit, for those luggage tags to be the least bit useful.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 6:16 am

You don't even need a special number. The FF's name and last 3 digits of their Aeroplan # should be enough info if the bag goes missing and also
keep a passenger's full information from being displayed.

eg

J Smith.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.