Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada or Etihad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Air Canada or Etihad?

I am scheudled to fly from Chennai, India (MAA) to YYZ next month on an Aeroplan reward flight.

I am currently booked in Business MAA-DEL-YYZ on Vistara and Air Canada. I see that MAA-AUH-YYZ is available in Business on Etihad all the way on Aeroplan....both flights with 787.

I have probably flown on more than 40 airlines over the years, but Ethiad is not one of them so have no experience there.

In normal times I would try Etihad . But doing so now adds a connection in a third country, which concerns me during Covid. Plus, given so many changes in schedules, being on AC gives me Conceirge access should it be required.

My only real thought is to stay on AC for the long- haul flight, but am wondering what others may think about Etihad and more importantly adding a third country connection.

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2021, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
In normal times, this would be a no brainer. Especially on the 787. Especially with the AC flight requiring a domestic narrowbody.
There is not one area I can think that AC J comes even remotely close to Etihad J. Get one of the solo window seats.
Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
When I asked a similar question of Etihad yesterday on behalf of someone else, their response was that they are not currently accepting connecting guests travelling from India.

...I'm not sure why they would be running flights FROM India if this is the case, but I thought you might find that data point useful.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YOWgary
When I asked a similar question of Etihad yesterday on behalf of someone else, their response was that they are not currently accepting connecting guests travelling from India.

Here's their Twitter response.

...I'm not sure why they would be running flights FROM India if this is the case, but I thought you might find that data point useful.
interesting. Thanks @YOWgary

All I have seen on the sites i have looked at for AUH is a difference between a connection of up to 8 hours and a connection of more than 8 hours.

All the more reason not to risk booking the third country connection.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:04 pm

I just tried random dates for next month and interestingly EY's website allows to book MAA-AUH-YYZ with 2.5hr layover in AUH.

Dates available to book are Mar 7, 14, 21, 28, 29, 30 & 31. Didn't check if Aeroplan for award space.

Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mileageking
I just tried random dates for next month and interestingly EY's website allows to book MAA-AUH-YYZ with 2.5hr layover in AUH.

Dates available to book are Mar 7, 14, 21, 28, 29, 30 & 31. Didn't check if Aeroplan for award space.
I was looking at Mar 28 , 29 and 30.

For sure there was J available for Aeroplan redemption on Mar 28 and 29.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: Altitude E50K / *G
I'm not sure what your thoughts are on departure times. I know some people don't care or don't sleep but personally if try not to get on flights that leave at 02:55 and fly for 4 hours. I think the chance of getting some rest on that flight is virtually nill.

The AC flight leaves at stupid o'clock too but at least it flies for a long time and you can get some sleep.

BTW - if you have never flown on Vistara I found them to be quite good. As they are domestic there is no booze offered in J however. They have some good tea
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:16 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Was the 25-hour layover perhaps the issue? Maybe they itinerary you were asking about was unacceptable because of the long connection, but a shorter one would be okay?
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dr_torch
I'm not sure what your thoughts are on departure times. I know some people don't care or don't sleep but personally if try not to get on flights that leave at 02:55 and fly for 4 hours. I think the chance of getting some rest on that flight is virtually nill.

The AC flight leaves at stupid o'clock too but at least it flies for a long time and you can get some sleep.

BTW - if you have never flown on Vistara I found them to be quite good. As they are domestic there is no booze offered in J however. They have some good tea
Good to hear about Vistara- thanks!

The Ethiad flight to AUH departs MAA at 04:35.

The Vistara for DEL leaves MAA at 17:25 and then the AC flight to YYZ departs at 00:05.

I am indifferent to both of those departure times. I never mind leaving early morning or middle of the night.

One benefit of the AUH flight is that it arrives into YYZ at 22:30 and that counts as Day 1 of quarantine.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Was the 25-hour layover perhaps the issue? Maybe they itinerary you were asking about was unacceptable because of the long connection, but a shorter one would be okay?
That is what I am thinking- but the note back from Etihad didn’t indicate anything like that.

25 hours layover may force you to enter the country as opposed to simply transiting.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Plumber
One benefit of the AUH flight is that it arrives into YYZ at 22:30 and that counts as Day 1 of quarantine.
EY website shows:
28 & 30 departure is 04:35 and arrives same day at 14:40 (1hr 35min layover in AUH)
On 29, leaves 09:25 and arrives next day 14:40 (20hr 45min layover in AUH)

Plumber likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Possible - but their response wasn't "that connection was too long", it was "no connecting passengers from India".

Certainly doesn't remove the possibility that the rep was just wrong, we certainly see enough of that on a regular basis.
Plumber likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.