Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Reliability of YVR-HKG Flights on Air Canada

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:29 am
Original Poster

I had a booking on Cathay Pacific from Vancouver back to Hong Kong on 26 Feb. That flight was cancelled, and I was rebooked on the 01 Mar flight. Unfortunately, I just got informed that this flight has also been cancelled, and now, I have been protected on the 03 Mar flight. I think CX is suffering quite a bit from the just-announced policy that CX local cabin crews returning to Hong Kong also need to go through 14 days quarantine and (7 days self-isolation?), whereas previously, they have been exempt. Quite an operational nightmare!

It was expected that CX would reduce flight capacity, and now, I have been severely affected. I cannot wait and wait for CX to finally operate a flight, so I was thinking to purchase a one-way ticket on AC back to Hong Kong instead.

My question is: does anyone have any experience/knowledge about reliability of AC flights Vancouver to Hong Kong? I think the AC crew are not subject to the severe quarantine requirements of the CX crews, so AC flights might be operating as scheduled without as many unpredictable cancellations? Any information would greatly be appreciated.
jlimftalk likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 7:10 am

Programs: AC 75K
It's anyone's guess especially given new rules were implemented here as well, so the airlines are still adjusting to the decreased demand. That being said, AC7 operates 2x/week, and it looks like those flights operated as planned over the last couple of weeks.

Given how fluid all of this is, I wouldn't use that as a predictor of what will happen going forward.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Anyone's guess. They just did some severe cuts, and who knows if more will follow. The very definition of unpredictable cancellations is AC.

I certainly would not be buying a ticket on AC given how even if they cancel, they wont refund, and your money is gone.
Only way I would buy this flight is on points.
expert7700 and jlimftalk like this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 10:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The 14 day crew quarantine details are interesting, I hadn't read that elsewhere.

Since HKG has mandatory government hotel isolation for 21 days for all arriving pax, I doubt demand from Canada is even 2 widebody flights a week.

I second the other suggestion of not giving AC cash. They cancelled my HKG-YVR in April, forced a major date change, and are not willingly refunding our $5,000 USD. I may eventually have a tiny bit of leverage through DOT since my trip originated from USA... But that hasn't yet helped anyone on flyertalk.

Booking with Aeroplan points if you have them is safe. As is booking with cash on UA (since UA refunds for any major flight change or cancelation).
Old Feb 10, 2021, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the above replies. Good insights.

Unfortunately, I do not have any Aeroplan points. Back to the drawing board for me.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Thanks a lot for the above replies. Good insights.

Unfortunately, I do not have any Aeroplan points. Back to the drawing board for me.
If you have AS points thatll do too.
I’m needing to book with CX as well in April. As I don’t feel like flying with air canada with their decrease in in-flight service.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
AC7 seems to be operating 2x/week as planned for the last little while as ChrisA330 mentioned.

The new 14 day quarantine for crew applies to local crew. From what I understand foreign crew is still under the same rules, test on arrival and isolate in airport until departure, so for now it's business as usual for foreign carriers.

With this new rule looks like CX is pulling out of YVR temporary:
https://mainlymiles.com/2021/02/10/c...to-quarantine/

AC recently delayed the late Feb restart of 1x/week YYZ-HKG, so now they will be connecting the YYZ pax on AC7. With CX pulling out of YVR and with AC not restarting YYZ-HKG, I think there will be enough demand for AC to keep running AC7 on the reduced schedule. After all, there are still enough HK residents who need to travel between HK and Canada even with the 21 day quarantine.

There is also enough cargo demand for AC to keep running HKG for now I think. Even with AC7 operating, AC has been adding cargo flights from both YVR and YYZ to HKG.
24left likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jlimftalk
If you have AS points thatll do too.
I’m needing to book with CX as well in April. As I don’t feel like flying with air canada with their decrease in in-flight service.
No AS point either.

But, CX has just agreed to reroute me YVR-YYZ-HKG, so I guess I am all good now.

And, Etkuo, I just saw your post above. Funny that I am being rerouted the other way!!!
24left likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 4:41 pm

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Incredible that Cathay are cutting that many routes due to HK's severe COVID restrictions, the same week they've announced that J and F passengers no longer have to wear masks if they're lying down.

At least they were nice enough to rebook you on AC metal for YVR-YYZ.
jlisi984 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.