Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Will AC introduce Digital Health Passport / IATA Health Pass?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Several airlines have started to use (or have plans to introduce) digital health passports / IATA Pass. Haven't seen any announcements from AC.

Digital Health Passports, airlines leading the way - British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Iberia, Alaska Airlines, United, Cathay Pacific, American Airlines, Qatar Airways, Swiss, Singapore Airlines, Lufthansa

VeriFLY App - American Airlines, British Airways. Other airlines including Alaska rolling out imminently.

IATA Travel Pass - Emirates, Eithad & Qatar to trial (expected to adopt by end of first quarter). COPA to start trials by March.

Which Airlines Are Already Using Health Passports? - Simple Flying

Does Air Canada have plans to test or launch anytime soon?
jlisi984 and AJchang like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:14 pm

Probably not until the government understands travel is safe.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Sure but I would think some of these initiatives take months for system integration readiness on development, testing, etc. Many airlines have plans and would have thought AC had the ball rolling already.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:03 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
EuroControl is strongly advocating for some form of vaccine verification similar to the proposed IATA app.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
EuroControl is strongly advocating for some form of vaccine verification similar to the proposed IATA app.
I can see these apps potentially play a key part to restore confidence back in frequent or any travel. I believe the IATA app could embed into AC’s own app where passengers can choose to share their verifiable digital identification details (test results, vaccinations, etc.). Airlines can then check if test results or vaccination are sufficient for government regulations for the entire journey and the goal for everyone to have confidence. Again, several airlines are already in testing phase with plans to launch in next month or two. Just haven’t heard anything on AC.

Another interesting read Everything You Need To Know About Health Passports - Simple Flying
Old Feb 9, 2021, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Originally Posted by mileageking
I can see these apps potentially play a key part to restore confidence back in frequent or any travel. I believe the IATA app could embed into AC’s own app where passengers can choose to share their verifiable digital identification details (test results, vaccinations, etc.). Airlines can then check if test results or vaccination are sufficient for government regulations for the entire journey and the goal for everyone to have confidence. Again, several airlines are already in testing phase with plans to launch in next month or two. Just haven’t heard anything on AC.

Another interesting read Everything You Need To Know About Health Passports - Simple Flying
I don't think the low loads are due to lack of confidence, rather it is the end-point restrictions imposed by the countries which produce the low loads.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mountainboy
I don't think the low loads are due to lack of confidence, rather it is the end-point restrictions imposed by the countries which produce the low loads.
Agree on border restrictions (and there is a separate thread/forum on that before mods shut this one ), but having a universal app shared across multiple airlines and agencies including AC could also drive consistency and help restore confidence, not just for passengers but also for airlines, governments and corporations for business travel. I use my own example as I stopped flying since March last year (flew around 200k in < 3 months). Could have flown to destinations AC was flying that didn't require quarantine (Mexico, US, Dubai, etc.) but chose not to. Some didn't even need negative PCR.

Also haven't flown AC domestic. We all know AC has experienced significantly reduced loads even within Canada for months and reduced reduced frequencies, cancelled routes all for a reason. Some folks choose not to fly even domestic.

Hence for me confidence and feeling safe is part of the equation. Maybe its just me, maybe some others feel the same, maybe not. .

Last edited by mileageking; Feb 9, 2021 at 6:55 pm
Old Feb 9, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE MM
Agree on border restrictions (and there is a separate thread/forum for border restrictions before mods shut down this thread ), but having a universal app that airlines can use would also drive consistency and help restore confidence, not just for passengers but also for airlines and governments. I use my own example as I haven't flown since March last year (flew around 200k in < 3 months last year) even though AC was flying to destinations that didn't require quarantine (some didn't even require negative PCR tests at some point such as US or Mexico). Haven't even flown AC domestic. At least for me having that confidence to feel safe is part of the equation. Maybe its just me, maybe others feel the same, maybe not.
If vaccination works and is distributed throughout the population, why is the app required to repair confidence? People want to fly for various purposes, perhaps it isn't full loads but it is something. However people can't fly, because up to nearly a month of liberty is taken away by government policy.

The airlines don't need confidence, they want to perform the routes.

That leave the government. Are you saying an app is required to give the government confidence? Let me guess -- Forever, right? That sounds terrible.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

FYI, I was making some edits to add reduced loads on even domestic travel that has resulted in reduced frequencies, cancellation of several routes, etc. in my earlier post as you were posting again.

If vaccination works and is distributed throughout the population, why is the app required to repair confidence? People want to fly for various purposes, perhaps it isn't full loads but it is something. However people can't fly, because up to nearly a month of liberty is taken away by government policy.

The airlines don't need confidence, they want to perform the routes.

That leave the government. Are you saying an app is required to give the government confidence? Let me guess -- Forever, right? That sounds terrible.
I believe it'll be a long time to get broader population all be vaccinated and I mean globally and not just Canada. I also think airlines need confidence as it would assure passenger meets relevant government's entry regulations and overall experience would be more seamless. Maybe it's mid to long term, maybe it's forever, though I do think would be for the better.
Old Feb 9, 2021, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not worth AC or any carrier's investment until it is clear that the app will meet uniform standards (including security) set by at least a significant number of large users. In addition to Canada & EU, add the UK, US, Japana, China and eventually Australia when it opens again to significant traffic.
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Here's the IATA Travel Pass video. First 16min is on briefing and remaining 16min is Q&A. Four modules available and airlines can chose any one or all. IOS version launch in Q1 and Android in Q2 2021.Looks like airlines will be charged fee per passenger with no upfront costs.

IATA Travel Pass website IATA - Travel Pass Initiative

Based on this article, around 20 airlines will begin app trials in March. IATA health passport app to roll out with 20 airlines | News | Flight Global
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Even if AC manages to implement/sign up for this... which is a big if given AC IT.... what purpose would this have given we are probably going to be the last country to lift restrictions....
Old Feb 10, 2021, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Even if AC manages to implement/sign up for this... which is a big if given AC IT.... what purpose would this have given we are probably going to be the last country to lift restrictions....
Have a read at some of content posted above and watch the video (there are few on YT). I think if AC and others are on board, this sort of globally recognized and acceptable digital pass which would integrate with airline's own app, could help drive confidence, lift government restrictions and bolster air travel.
Old Feb 10, 2021, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Here's the IATA Travel Pass video.
In paying IATA per-use the best way to preventing fake photoshop tests, $5 tests results sold on the beach in Jamaica, or fake vaccination cards?

If a fake test result or vaccination "record" is uploaded to IATA, they will just keep redistributing the fake records for the passengers... Making a handsome profit on each transaction.

US and Canadian (BC) vaccination cards are impossible to truly validate without calling a health department (likely with a medical release etc). They were not designed for security, just as patient reminders for the second dose. In some cases vaccine centers use a PDF template to print their own if they run low.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​For pre-travel testing, fake test results would be eliminated if after a certain date , they all require an online security check. Query the test center directly in real time (during checkin or at airport), rather than rely on a printout or screenshot. Similar to Australian ESTA, state background checks for working in schools, and even 3M for validating N95 authenticity.

Last edited by expert7700; Feb 10, 2021 at 7:05 pm
Old Feb 10, 2021, 9:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
It is an interesting discussion point. We cannot fly because we can't. We shouldn't fly for public safety. Would we fly, if we could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.