Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards post-2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Upgrade Awards post-2020

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
My daughter is flying on a UA domestic (within USA) flight in less than 2 weeks. I guess Air Canada/Aeroplan has not yet resumed offering Star Alliance upgrades.
Old May 9, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
My daughter is flying on a UA domestic (within USA) flight in less than 2 weeks. I guess Air Canada/Aeroplan has not yet resumed offering Star Alliance upgrades.
That's correct. Though paid upgrades on UA are sometimes available for as little as $50-$100, so potentially something worth looking into...
BlondeBomber and Adam Smith like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 3:05 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Star Alliance Upgrades - - how long do we need to wait!!??

When will the Star Alliance upgrade awards come back? I suppose I am not surprised it was not used so often but used it probably 8-10 times per year as all my fares are either B or D class and I would request upgrades almost all the time on the *A carriers. I have a long-haul trip on LX in D soon and would want to request the upgrade to F. It has not worked for a few years but perhaps now things are a bit more lenient . .

I realize AC has a lot of things to worry about but really - they need to get this going soon as my trip is in 8 weeks!!!
Old May 29, 2021, 3:51 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zrh2yvr
When will the Star Alliance upgrade awards come back? I suppose I am not surprised it was not used so often but used it probably 8-10 times per year as all my fares are either B or D class and I would request upgrades almost all the time on the *A carriers. I have a long-haul trip on LX in D soon and would want to request the upgrade to F. It has not worked for a few years but perhaps now things are a bit more lenient . .

I realize AC has a lot of things to worry about but really - they need to get this going soon as my trip is in 8 weeks!!!
I highly doubt this functionality will be back in time for your trip. All AC has said is it will return in 2021, so it will probably come later rather than sooner.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 5:49 am

Programs: AC 75K
Even if the functionality comes back, how would you get a *A upgrade to F on LX given they don’t release F award space to anyone but their own FFs.?
YOWgary and nexusCFX like this.
Old May 29, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: AC SE 100K
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Even if the functionality comes back, how would you get a *A upgrade to F on LX given they don’t release F award space to anyone but their own FFs.?
a.) I have succeeded before (not for a while however)
b.) You are correct. . .
c.) Nothing is as it was . . . . . . this is survival mode . .
Old May 29, 2021, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
SAUA space is not the same as reward space. You might upgrade into O, but it's not based on O availability.
zrh2yvr likes this.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I highly doubt this functionality will be back in time for your trip. All AC has said is it will return in 2021, so it will probably come later rather than sooner.
My friend asked a contact at AC recently who said they're targeting to have it back by Q1 of 2022 but there's no firm date. They mentioned very low utilization by members even before covid and majority of upgrades were on intl travel to countries that are closed / have no flights RN, so it's not their priority.
Old May 29, 2021, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by zappy312
My friend asked a contact at AC recently who said they're targeting to have it back by Q1 of 2022 but there's no firm date. They mentioned very low utilization by members even before covid and majority of upgrades were on intl travel to countries that are closed / have no flights RN, so it's not their priority.
Well they were charging double the points as United on many routes... I've used it on Aeroplan less than I've used it on United for that reason.
Old Jul 17, 2021, 4:20 pm

It's coming "likely next year" per Mark Nasr.

I hope that means "likely 2022, maybe 2021", and not 2023 :/
Old Jul 27, 2021, 11:18 pm

I am on the mailing list of FirstClassFlyer and received an email with this:

https://www.firstclassflyer.com/boom...een-to-upgrade

I don't have a membership ATM so I can only see the teaser, not the entire article... but it seems to refer to upgrades with Aeroplan miles on LH. If no *A upgrades with AC, then... I wonder how?
Old Jul 28, 2021, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by EU-US
I am on the mailing list of FirstClassFlyer and received an email with this:

https://www.firstclassflyer.com/boom...een-to-upgrade

I don't have a membership ATM so I can only see the teaser, not the entire article... but it seems to refer to upgrades with Aeroplan miles on LH. If no *A upgrades with AC, then... I wonder how?
The article has nothing to do with SAUA. It just lists dates that have LH F availability, and talks about how much cheaper it is to use Aeroplan points than United miles.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
The article has nothing to do with SAUA. It just lists dates that have LH F availability, and talks about how much cheaper it is to use Aeroplan points than United miles.
This may be my confusion about how Aeroplan works (haven't used it much and they just changed the whole program apparently) but isn't upgrading on LH with Aeroplan points a *A upgrade? If not, what is it?
Old Jul 31, 2021, 10:29 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by EU-US
This may be my confusion about how Aeroplan works (haven't used it much and they just changed the whole program apparently) but isn't upgrading on LH with Aeroplan points a *A upgrade? If not, what is it?
SAUA allow you to upgrade revenue tickets using points. The article was referring to simply booking LH F with 100% points, not upgrading a revenue ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 12:03 pm

I suggest we just stop discussing this if you've only read the title. It's not productive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.