Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Extending an Aeroplan Award beyond 12 months

Old Jan 16, 21, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan E75

Has anyone been able to change an Aeroplan award in such a way that the last leg will occur beyond 12 months after the first flight? I might have to ask for that because of the current health situation worldwide.

Another possibility would be for me to retroactively change my award to a one way one. Has anyone been able to do that in the past?

I have already flown the first flight of my award last September.
Old Jan 16, 21, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
I think you have a much higher chance of changing it to a one-way for a 50% refund.
Old Jan 16, 21, 10:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by ulyparis View Post
Has anyone been able to change an Aeroplan award in such a way that the last leg will occur beyond 12 months after the first flight? I might have to ask for that because of the current health situation worldwide.

Another possibility would be for me to retroactively change my award to a one way one. Has anyone been able to do that in the past?

I have already flown the first flight of my award last September.
So why don't you call Aeroplan and ask? But anyways, saving you some time, it cannot be done. I spoke to an agent, was able to book a new ✈️ flight beyond 12 months in the existing PNR, but during exchanging the ticket process, the Amadeus system fail to validate and exchange the 🎟 ticket, and that agent came back to me saying your returning leg is 2 days more than 365 days after your outbound flown. I know exchange tickets manually can bypassing PNR validation, but don't know whether you can convince an agent from Travel Ops aka ticketing or not. If you get a success, please let us know 🙏 By the way, health situation, Covid, travel restrictions, those reasons will not work to convince Aeroplan to exchange your tickets manually.

Last edited by terencelai; Jan 16, 21 at 11:18 am
Old Jan 16, 21, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by terencelai View Post
So why don't you call Aeroplan and ask?
I don't know about the OP, but before I ever became SE, I would try to do research before calling in because of how long it took to get through to an agent, and how often I would find, after the fact, that I was misinformed by the agent I spoke to. But that was just me and I'm glad I found FT to help me get out of my FOTSG ways.
Old Jan 17, 21, 10:26 am

Programs: Aeroplan Elite 35K
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I don't know about the OP, but before I ever became SE, I would try to do research before calling in because of how long it took to get through to an agent, and how often I would find, after the fact, that I was misinformed by the agent I spoke to. But that was just me and I'm glad I found FT to help me get out of my FOTSG ways.
So based on what you've saying, what the agent said to me might not be correct?? So basically what I wrote here or what I being told may not be correct is what you're saying? Maybe as you're now being a SE, you have a bit of leeway to convince Aeroplan agents to exchange your tickets manually or making exceptions specifically for you. By the way, talking to an agent now does not require long hold, did you call recently? If what I wrote is being correct, then it is pointless to quote what I said here, I am contributing for your information, SE, YYZNomad.

Last edited by terencelai; Jan 17, 21 at 10:37 am
Old Jan 17, 21, 12:59 pm
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: Free Agent
I am struggling as well with what to do with 2*J (YYZ-TPE-ICN-TPE-YYZ) in late February for 300K points. All the flights have been cancelled obviously, if I cancel and get the 300K back in new AE points I will not get the same value for it under the new program but hard to plan ahead still and change it to something a year out. I will probably just cancel and deal with the devaluation.
EdmFlyBoi likes this.
Old Jan 17, 21, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by terencelai View Post
So based on what you've saying, what the agent said to me might not be correct?? So basically what I wrote here or what I being told may not be correct is what you're saying? Maybe as you're now being a SE, you have a bit of leeway to convince Aeroplan agents to exchange your tickets manually or making exceptions specifically for you. By the way, talking to an agent now does not require long hold, did you call recently? If what I wrote is being correct, then it is pointless to quote what I said here, I am contributing for your information, SE, YYZNomad.
Nah, just giving a possible/legitimate reason as to why ulyparis posted the question here.
While I was writing that post, not once was I thinking "wow, terencelai is wrong!".
And yes, it is common for an agent to provide incorrect information. I mean, the evidence is all over this forum (and also via experience, and yes, even as an SE).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: