Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC axes YPR, YKA, YZF, YFC, YYR, and YQX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC axes YPR, YKA, YZF, YFC, YYR, and YQX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: AC 35k
I don't get why this is a problem. If you want a bubble, no one can travel there. Isn't cancelling air service actually helpful in maintaining the bubble? You can't enter the bubble if there's no way in.
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 11:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Old Jan 22, 2021, 12:25 pm

8P starting service to YKA next month.
https://www.pacificcoastal.com/new-yka-service/
marke190 likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 6:33 am

Programs: AC SE, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by MillennialMiles
NOT at all surprised it Goose Bay and Gander were cut but rather that it took them so long to make that decision. Atlantic provinces wanted a bubble and they got one. They shouldn't then complain that no airline wants to service them if they cant sell seats and make the route break-even or profitable.
It's possible that the people complaining do not support the Atlantic Bubble per se. There would have to be some major cognitive dissonance if someone is a staunch supporter of the Atlantic Bubble and also is mad at AC for cancelling service to the region, but I guess anything is possible.

I would also note that many routes have been cancelled to locations not in the Atlantic Bubble. Are those people allowed to complain or not?
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by bid.shader
It's possible that the people complaining do not support the Atlantic Bubble per se. There would have to be some major cognitive dissonance if someone is a staunch supporter of the Atlantic Bubble and also is mad at AC for cancelling service to the region, but I guess anything is possible.

I would also note that many routes have been cancelled to locations not in the Atlantic Bubble. Are those people allowed to complain or not?
I'm sure there are a few Forum members that are staunch supporters of the Atlantic Bubble AND are mad at AC for cutting all the service and routes in the region. There are some good examples of the lack of service to "bubble" countries such as Australia and New Zealand.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 6:14 am

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS
The Twitterverse here is quite odd, almost universally opposed to the cuts. Asking Haligonians the last time they flew to Gander, you get crickets. Asking if those in Sydney have flown to a ministers meeting in Ottawa since March, as they do in normal times, crickets.

Shocked pikachu.

With that said, I would fully support a "essential air travel" type fund, Federally or Provincially funded, for better normal time service to the outports.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 7:23 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by tracon
8P starting service to YKA next month.
https://www.pacificcoastal.com/new-yka-service/
These route cuts might be to the advantage of the smaller carriers. Are there any still flying out East or have they been squeezed out? We have the luxury of a few in the North and West.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 6:59 am
Suspended

As AC is mentioned in this CBC video, posting here.

Small airlines desperate to find a way forward during pandemic

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1861051459519/
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:14 pm
Community Director Emerita

What is happening with Prince Rupert? I have speculative award flights booked for a trip that will likely not happen due to the closed border. On June 19, I was rescheduled onto a flight from Vancouver to Terrace. On June 26, I remain booked on a flight from Prince Rupert to Vancouver.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 4, 2021 at 1:53 pm Reason: Edited to move certain portions to Canada forum
Old Apr 1, 2021, 7:27 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is happening with Prince Rupert? I have speculative award flights booked for a trip that will likely not happen due to the closed border. On June 19, I was rescheduled onto a flight from Vancouver to Terrace. On June 26, I remain booked on a flight from Prince Rupert to Vancouver.
This article said AC was resuming service to YPR on June 19th, but when I tried to book some flights, seems that it's actually June 22.

These days though, it's all so uncertain. There's talk that if the federal government provides a bailout, they would require the airlines to resume some of the routes they've cut. Probably a good chance YPR would be one of those, but who knows whether a bailout will happen.
SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Apr 4, 2021 at 1:53 pm Reason: Edited to move certain portions to Canada forum
Old Apr 4, 2021, 2:06 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
In order to keep things on topic, a portion of this thread has been moved over to the Canada forum. Please follow the discussion of rental cars at YXT/YPR etc over there.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cana...ne-2021-a.html

Adam Smith
AC Forum Co-Moderator
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:11 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
PAL Airlines taking over AC routes

https://www.palairlines.ca/wp-conten...&utm_campaign=

Looks like PAL is taking over a lot of the old AC Express routes in Eastern Canada. YHZ-YFC/YSJ, YHZ-YQY, YHZ-YYR, YHZ-YYG, and YQB-YGP-YGR.
marke190 and Aselwyn like this.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 1:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by codfather
https://www.palairlines.ca/wp-conten...&utm_campaign=

Looks like PAL is taking over a lot of the old AC Express routes in Eastern Canada. YHZ-YFC/YSJ, YHZ-YQY, YHZ-YYR, YHZ-YYG, and YQB-YGP-YGR.
The feds to be play hardball with AC when/if the AC bail out is announced. For stations that AC has abandoned any subsidy or bailout should go to the airline that has stepped up to fill that gap and service the community not AC.

The PAL fleet may at the end of the day be a better option for some of these routes if Jazz drops everything smaller than the Q400. PAL interlines with WestJet, do they do the same with AC?
Old Jul 1, 2021, 8:13 am
Suspended

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jul 1, 2021 at 9:52 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.