Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC axes YPR, YKA, YZF, YFC, YYR, and YQX

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Update 1/7/21: service resumed] AC axes YPR, YKA, YZF, YFC, YYR, and YQX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2021, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I feel for Fogo and the entire island. The hotel has been shut for many months. I've no idea when it will reopen. We received an email in the last month about the difficulty this has imposed on the entire island which is so dependent on all the efforts by Fogo Island Inn and its beneficiary, Zita Cobb. It is such a special place, it was thriving, and I hope that it thrives again.
I haven't been in contact yet with the agent who booked our stay, as I figure we'll see how things play out in the coming months. But I'd think the vast majority of Fogo's guests arrive/depart via Gander, as St John's is just too far. I also wonder how Fogo Island Inn is going to tackle this.

As much as I have my heart set on visiting, if it just becomes too onerous to get to someplace nearby, then I imagine we'll cancel. The inn, however, has a very strict cancellation policy, so it's questionable based on current rules if we'd even get our deposit back.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 3:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by jiaotze
But I'd think the vast majority of Fogo's guests arrive/depart via Gander, as St John's is just too far. I also wonder how Fogo Island Inn is going to tackle this.
Last year, the Inn started private flights from Halifax two days a week for two months of the summer. Perhaps they will offer this again and even expand when it is offered.

https://fogoislandinn.ca/new-private...pean%20markets.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 4:36 pm

Last year, the Inn started private flights from Halifax two days a week for two months of the summer. Perhaps they will offer this again and even expand when it is offered.

https://fogoislandinn.ca/new-private...pean%20markets.
Thanks very much for this info. This may be something they have no choice but to expand. (Sorry mods for taking this thread off topic a bit.)

Hopefully enough pressure will be put on AC to reinstate the service, in conjunction with getting Covid under control and life gradually back to normal.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I'll be checking on the ferry schedule once it is known for June. I don't think it will operate daily but am interested one way if the schedule makes sense.
If you are not short of time, you can take VIA Rail from Prince Rupert to Prince George and fly out of there. Again, it's not fast (it takes all day), but an incredibly scenic ride especially between Terrace and Smithers going past some of the coastal mountains. The train is running again now, but only 1x weekly and it remains to be seen how the schedule will change for summer. But it's at low risk of being completely cancelled because it services some communities along the route that aren't reachable by highway.

Perhaps the withdrawal of Air Canada will be a boon for other methods of getting to Prince Rupert - for tourists who can afford to take the scenic route, at least.
SanDiego1K and YOWgary like this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Thanks very much for this info. This may be something they have no choice but to expand. (Sorry mods for taking this thread off topic a bit.)

Hopefully enough pressure will be put on AC to reinstate the service, in conjunction with getting Covid under control and life gradually back to normal.
The issue at the moment is that you need an exemption to visit Newfoundland even as a Canadian citizen (e.g. I was born in Newfoundland but live elsewhere in Canada and can't even visit my parents without requesting permission from their provincial government). Vacation trips to Fogo will not be resuming any time soon, I suspect the 2021 tourism season will also not happen. AC will return to the route when things open up, I'm pretty confident about that, AC has been the main carrier for years.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
The issue at the moment is that you need an exemption to visit Newfoundland even as a Canadian citizen (e.g. I was born in Newfoundland but live elsewhere in Canada and can't even visit my parents without requesting permission from their provincial government). Vacation trips to Fogo will not be resuming any time soon, I suspect the 2021 tourism season will also not happen. AC will return to the route when things open up, I'm pretty confident about that, AC has been the main carrier for years.
Thanks for that perspective, YZF_Elite. Our trip isn't scheduled until the middle of September, so I'm not overly concerned just yet, except that it typically takes a lot longer to get things back up and running than to shut flights down. I sure hope the 2021 tourism season isn't a total bust, not just for travelers, but even more so for the communities that need the influx of visitors.
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:19 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by eigenvector
If you are not short of time, you can take VIA Rail from Prince Rupert to Prince George and fly out of there. Again, it's not fast (it takes all day), but an incredibly scenic ride especially between Terrace and Smithers going past some of the coastal mountains. The train is running again now, but only 1x weekly and it remains to be seen how the schedule will change for summer. But it's at low risk of being completely cancelled because it services some communities along the route that aren't reachable by highway.

Perhaps the withdrawal of Air Canada will be a boon for other methods of getting to Prince Rupert - for tourists who can afford to take the scenic route, at least.
If I am up there it usually involved meeting in both Terrace and Prince Rupert. Terrace should continue to be fairly busy given all the LNG projects in the region. The drive is fairly short, under two hours.

Prince Rupert airport is saying that AC is saying to expect them back in April. So who knows a lot can change between now and then.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by eigenvector

**Note: for anyone wishing to use Via Rail Prince Rupert to Prince George, do not book any flights from Prince George until late the next day, I have had 5-6 hour delays as there are several places it is single track and freight takes priority over passenger (even if you have to wait 2 hours for incoming train!)

I am really hoping YXS and YXJ hang in there!
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:03 pm

Why should AC reinstate the service due to pressure? Neither they or Westjet is a charity or an arm of the government. If current conditions don't allow profitable operation of these flights they should be cancelled. If the government or municipality wants to maintain the service then step up with some money.
Aselwyn likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Resurrection
Why should AC reinstate the service due to pressure? Neither they or Westjet is a charity or an arm of the government. If current conditions don't allow profitable operation of these flights they should be cancelled. If the government or municipality wants to maintain the service then step up with some money.
Can't the government pass bills or decrees to force them to operate certain routes, or even legislate to seize/nationalize the entire company (eg: power of eminent domain justified by national interest) ?
Old Jan 14, 2021, 3:54 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Can't the government pass bills or decrees to force them to operate certain routes
No.

or even legislate to seize/nationalize the entire company (eg: power of eminent domain justified by national interest) ?
Do you really think a court would allow that? (Before any smart-alec reply, the answer is no).

If the government wants service on certain routes, it can do so by offering incentives to fly them. For instance, the US has a program called Essential Air Service that provides subsidies to carriers to operate certain routes.

CTA has even studied the issue in the past (primarily relating to remote northern communities at the time, but the principles are the same), including what other countries do.
tcook052, D582, Bohemian1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 6:23 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
It's interesting how things change. I was commuting from YVR to YPR every 2 or 3 months from the late '70s through the late '90s. In the early days CP/CAIL was running 737s three times a day! They ran a triangle from YVR-YXT-YPR-YVR, and for a short time it was YZP instead of YXT. Then Air BC got into the picture and was running the BAE-???, the one that looked like the miniature B-52. Then AC came along with the DH7 or 8 and things went to hell.

Another interesting side note: if they got weathered out of either YXT or YPR they would land at the other and bus you across at their expense. And no, it's not a one hour trip. 1.5 hrs at best, 2 hrs to be safe. Weather is a factor more often at YXT, but with all the industrial activity in that area I don't see them stopping that route.
marke190 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC 75k
Originally Posted by Sopwith
It's interesting how things change. I was commuting from YVR to YPR every 2 or 3 months from the late '70s through the late '90s. In the early days CP/CAIL was running 737s three times a day! They ran a triangle from YVR-YXT-YPR-YVR, and for a short time it was YZP instead of YXT. Then Air BC got into the picture and was running the BAE-???, the one that looked like the miniature B-52. Then AC came along with the DH7 or 8 and things went to hell.

Another interesting side note: if they got weathered out of either YXT or YPR they would land at the other and bus you across at their expense. And no, it's not a one hour trip. 1.5 hrs at best, 2 hrs to be safe. Weather is a factor more often at YXT, but with all the industrial activity in that area I don't see them stopping that route.
AND, they could only try one approach at each airport for fuel reasons. Mum and Dad did the whole "try to land twice, then turn around and back to YVR" more than once. Or the bus transfer multiple times. Pertinent to Covid times, I should point out, that if they bused you, there was no refund or fare reduction either. Back then too, CAI and AC were very good about swapping outgoing passengers if only one of them was able to land.
The big surprise for me on this list was Kamloops. I guess folks will just drive to YVR instead. Driving to YLW to then fly on paying another connection doesn't make much sense does it? Rewards might of course be different.
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:13 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
hopefully all these cuts AC has done to regional airports is reversed sometime in 2022 once this is all over would really suck if any of these or the ones already axed don't come back
Old Jan 14, 2021, 9:53 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA PlatPro, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat & LT Gold, Hilton Gold, National EE
NOT at all surprised it Goose Bay and Gander were cut but rather that it took them so long to make that decision. Atlantic provinces wanted a bubble and they got one. They shouldn't then complain that no airline wants to service them if they cant sell seats and make the route break-even or profitable.
YZF_Elite and marke190 like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 14, 2021 at 10:09 pm Reason: Response to deleted off topic post

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.