Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada hires influencers to promote vacation travel

Air Canada hires influencers to promote vacation travel

Old Jan 5, 21, 5:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Ontario. Canada
Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Posts: 7,310
Air Canada hires influencers to promote vacation travel

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/poli...cation-travel/

Air Canada has hired social influencers to encourage Canadians to fly on non-essential vacation travel in spite of federal guidelines that urge people to stay home as cases of COVID-19 spike across the country.

The social influencers being paid by Air Canada Vacations are promoting leisure travel inside the country and to international destinations.

On Tuesday, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced changes to a pandemic-related sick leave program that will deny benefits to people who travel abroad on vacation.

Mr. Trudeau said Canadians who take non-essential trips do so at their own risk, against federal guidance, and will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test before returning effective Jan. 7.
Badenoch is offline  
Old Jan 5, 21, 9:45 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,500
Wow. Just ... wow.

Air Canada has done some pretty stupid things in the past, but the optics on this simply defy words. The scary thing is, whoever approved this little scheme probably got a bonus for it.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:15 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (Wave as you fly over)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 3,912
Seems ill conceived and a little tone deaf. Perhaps they will suffer the same PR fate as other very public travelers in the news.
Transpacificflyer likes this.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:26 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: YEG
Posts: 265
Well its not like Westjet hasn't had their influencers chiming in lately... All I can do is shake my head. "what were they thinking comes to mind".
AltaBound is offline  
Old Jan 5, 21, 10:56 pm
  #5  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 11,257
Is this really any different than them continuing to buy ads on TV, Internet, etc, and sending out marketing e-mails to their customer base? Influencers are just another advertising channel.
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Jan 5, 21, 11:07 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 53,483
Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
Is this really any different than them continuing to buy ads on TV, Internet, etc, and sending out marketing e-mails to their customer base? Influencers are just another advertising channel.
Not really, at least to me, and some of these decisions were likely made long before the recent ruckus of high profile holidayers and the imposition of the negative PCR test as the article doesn't say the contracts were signed today so the online campaigns could've been set in motion weeks or months ago.

The quote in the OP also includes domestic travel so it could be that as it did last Summer, ACV pivots to promotes travel within the country if not abroad.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 12:59 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 506
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
Not really, at least to me, and some of these decisions were likely made long before the recent ruckus of high profile holidayers and the imposition of the negative PCR test as the article doesn't say the contracts were signed today so the online campaigns could've been set in motion weeks or months ago.

The quote in the OP also includes domestic travel so it could be that as it did last Summer, ACV pivots to promotes travel within the country if not abroad.
The whole conversation seems a bit cynical.

Isn't it also tone deaf that RBC didn't take down this site? https://www.rbcrewards.com/#/travel

Forget about flights... it mentions cruises.

I'm finding it very hard to stay real. Are all the covid deaths due to travel? Or even a majority? Or even a minority? I was at a Costco today, with government-mandated lineups, *WOW*. Where is this meme coming from that travel is killing people. Maybe I don't see the picture because my travel has traditionally been "go to new country, walk for week+ in the woods". Other people travel and stay close together, I get it, and if this is major covid spread why is that not reflected in the incoming rapid test studies?

Maybe I'm being too sensitive to the word "essential" meaning different things to different people -- the governments appear to be trying real hard to say "business travel only".
Maybe that will 100% kill the travel sector immediately.

There is a mixture of fact and fear, and I'm coming to the conclusion that most people 60+ will never visit another country again.
mountainboy is online now  
Old Jan 6, 21, 1:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: west coast best coast
Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Posts: 3,634
It's like keeping the bars and restaurants to stay open and then telling and expecting people to stay at home.

The messaging is all over the place, so I don't blame Air Canada for at least trying to stimulate revenue.

Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
Maybe I'm being too sensitive to the word "essential" meaning different things to different people -- the governments appear to be trying real hard to say "business travel only".
Maybe that will 100% kill the travel sector immediately.

There is a mixture of fact and fear, and I'm coming to the conclusion that most people 60+ will never visit another country again.
The government doesn't want to bail out Air Canada with public money, so it can't shut down the airline or restrict travel too much.

Also, the government does advise on how to "have a safe holiday": https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...lebration.html

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jan 6, 21 at 1:53 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
keitherson is online now  
Old Jan 6, 21, 6:54 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: YOW
Programs: AC 75K, FOTSG Platinum
Posts: 3,779
Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
Forget about flights... it mentions cruises.

I'm finding it very hard to stay real. Are all the covid deaths due to travel? Or even a majority? Or even a minority? I was at a Costco today, with government-mandated lineups, *WOW*. Where is this meme coming from that travel is killing people.

Maybe I'm being too sensitive to the word "essential" meaning different things to different people -- the governments appear to be trying real hard to say "business travel only".
Maybe that will 100% kill the travel sector immediately.
I mean, the logic used for Costco is that people still have to buy groceries and socks and tires, but they don't *need* to go get drunk in Cancun.

I can't pretend objectivity here, since COVID has essentially made my profession illegal, but I am unable to wrap my head around the part where every government agency - even Florida - agreed from day one that cruises were a completely unacceptable risk, but airlines can keep selling holidays to all-inclusives, which are essentially cruise ships that don't move.

I understand that AC has to do its best to stay solvent, and I recognize that part of that is them trying to convince people that travel is safe, but I don't understand how ACV are allowed to operate at all, if cruise lines and gyms and concert halls and restaurants can't.
Twickenham likes this.
YOWgary is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 7:58 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: YYZ ✈ YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,500
Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
The whole conversation seems a bit cynical.

Isn't it also tone deaf that RBC didn't take down this site? https://www.rbcrewards.com/#/travel

Forget about flights... it mentions cruises.
I'm willing to cut RBC some slack on that, since there's a big difference between not amending an existing entity and going forth to consciously launch a new initiative. Someone at AC just isn't using their best judgement right now.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 8:19 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,853
Originally Posted by mountainboy View Post
Are all the covid deaths due to travel? Or even a majority? Or even a minority?.
1.8% of cases are due to travel.... so relate that to % of deaths...
I wouldbe willing to bet that exposure at bigbox stores accounts for more.

Originally Posted by YOWgary View Post
I mean, the logic used for Costco is that people still have to buy groceries and socks and tires, but they don't *need* to go get drunk in Cancun.
People also don't *need* to do a sales call in person - yet all they have to do is declare themselves "essential" to their business and skip the quarantine.


The AC marketing department has a job to do. Their boss is telling them to do their jobs who is pressured by their boss. They gotta do something. Cant really blame the frontline marketing people who came up with this idea.
rankourabu is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 8:22 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 29,598
Originally Posted by rankourabu View Post
1.8% of cases are due to travel....
Could you provide some context to that and perhaps a source?
LondonElite is online now  
Old Jan 6, 21, 8:30 am
  #13  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 53,483
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Could you provide some context to that and perhaps a source?
The federal government has advised against non-essential travel outside Canada since the start of the pandemic, though officials noted Wednesday that about two per cent of COVID-19 cases have been brought into the country from overseas.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 9:01 am
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 836
Good for Air Canada. I support them for this. Can't stay locked down forever in the name of 'safety'. If you are scared of life, stay home. Meanwhile, let us travel how we please.
mlbmlb likes this.
FriscoHeavy is offline  
Old Jan 6, 21, 9:16 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada
Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 21,853
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Could you provide some context to that and perhaps a source?
Health Canada
https://health-infobase.canada.ca/co...-cases.html#a6

And even if you add "contact with a traveller" - you are only up to 2.8%

Even in the sealed off provinces (NL/NB) - travel is <20% of all cases
rankourabu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: