Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:58 pm
  #121  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Yes, and as far as I know, you're the only person who's reported a discrepancy since April 1.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:14 pm
  #122  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 189
Thanks! I am always the one stuck with technical issues. On the phone with Aeroplan now.

If anyone else is still waiting for their SQM rollover, do let me know!
MasterTravellr is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:32 pm
  #123  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 189
So, Air Canada tells me now, that the rollover SQMs are based on the status we had extended from 2019 qualifying year (because of COVID), and not what we would have qualified for in 2020 (despite COVID).

I had 50k for my 2020 benefit year (2019 qualifying), and I earned 25K last year which became 50K because of the COVID extension. My total for 2020 was 30k and AC is saying I didn't get the 5k rollover because that is based on my 50k (extended covid status) and not my earned 25k status.

I have a feeling this is wrong - unless I am wrong in my previous understanding that it was based on what we earned and not the extended status...
MasterTravellr is offline  
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:41 pm
  #124  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
That's not what the terms say, and it's not what happened for me. I had SE extended, earned 75K, and everything beyond 75k was rolled over.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Apr 8, 2021, 2:59 pm
  #125  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 189
I see what you mean and my interpretation of the terms was the same as how your rollover miles were reflected.

I don't know if it's an automated or manual process and I was missed, but I will continue to see what the glitch was. Lucky me!
MasterTravellr is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:03 am
  #126  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: YKZ
Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
%*^(#)@ AC. That doesn't even make sense, considering eUps and status both expired end of February 2021. And as I've pointed out previously, there was nothing written anywhere that suggested that one needed to have the card by 31/12/20.

I've written in to them. We'll see where this goes.
I spent much time playing monkey in the middle between CIBC and Aeroplan on this one. Aeroplan stated that the CC issuer determines eligibility for the timing of the benefit, not them. They confirmed that you must have been APPROVED for the card, even though you may not have received it prior to year end. I made note of the fact that nowhere in their T's & C's does it call out this timing requirement and that a number of their customers were going to be very upset as a result.

I received confirmation of approval from CIBC on Dec 28th by email (though their system shows Dec 31st). I asked CIBC Visa that someone please tell AP this, as their system showed Jan 5th (the date I activated my card). CIBC of course said they did not have a mechanism to do this, but they would send me a letter confirming the date was December 31st. Fine I thought - it will give me the proof I need and the good folks at Aeroplan are a reasonable bunch after all - what else would they need Called up AP and told them the good news - CIBC confirmed date and will be providing proof - where should I send it ? "We cannot accept this" said the agent, CIBC must send us a revised file upload with the date reflected as Dec 31st for us to make the change

Back to CIBC... This time the Visa agent I spoke with actually knew what I was talking about. Her brother was a FF and had the card - saved me the 10 minute explanation of the issue. She understood the value of the Eups and could understand my frustration - she would escalate and help me get this resolved. Was pushed up the ladder to her supervisor who confirmed that I should have been eligible for this benefit and said he would send a note internally to their team that works with AP to try and get this resolved. That was 3 days ago.

This morning the Eups arrived

Hopefully this will help someone else try and get this benefit which we all anticipated when we signed up for the card. The key is getting the CC issuer to agree to the benefit - they need to advise AP to get this to flow through the system.

Best of luck to all with this.

CC
painintheuk likes this.
Captain Canuck is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:09 am
  #127  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 189
Did you get your SQMs, too?
MasterTravellr is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:10 am
  #128  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3,946
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
This morning the Eups arrived
Happy to hear it worked out after being bounced back & forth couple times. Any SQM rollovers?
mileageking is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:13 am
  #129  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: YKZ
Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Posts: 692
Unfortunately no - I did not fly enough last year after Q1 to secure these.

CC
Captain Canuck is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 6:14 am
  #130  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 189
Are you missing your SQM, too? TD?
MasterTravellr is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:00 am
  #131  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Originally Posted by Captain Canuck
I spent much time playing monkey in the middle between CIBC and Aeroplan on this one. Aeroplan stated that the CC issuer determines eligibility for the timing of the benefit, not them. They confirmed that you must have been APPROVED for the card, even though you may not have received it prior to year end. I made note of the fact that nowhere in their T's & C's does it call out this timing requirement and that a number of their customers were going to be very upset as a result.

I received confirmation of approval from CIBC on Dec 28th by email (though their system shows Dec 31st). I asked CIBC Visa that someone please tell AP this, as their system showed Jan 5th (the date I activated my card). CIBC of course said they did not have a mechanism to do this, but they would send me a letter confirming the date was December 31st. Fine I thought - it will give me the proof I need and the good folks at Aeroplan are a reasonable bunch after all - what else would they need Called up AP and told them the good news - CIBC confirmed date and will be providing proof - where should I send it ? "We cannot accept this" said the agent, CIBC must send us a revised file upload with the date reflected as Dec 31st for us to make the change

Back to CIBC... This time the Visa agent I spoke with actually knew what I was talking about. Her brother was a FF and had the card - saved me the 10 minute explanation of the issue. She understood the value of the Eups and could understand my frustration - she would escalate and help me get this resolved. Was pushed up the ladder to her supervisor who confirmed that I should have been eligible for this benefit and said he would send a note internally to their team that works with AP to try and get this resolved. That was 3 days ago.

This morning the Eups arrived

Hopefully this will help someone else try and get this benefit which we all anticipated when we signed up for the card. The key is getting the CC issuer to agree to the benefit - they need to advise AP to get this to flow through the system.

Best of luck to all with this.

CC
So you met their undisclosed terms, but only one of the two parties was aware of it, and it still took a big fight.

I'm a lot more worried about the people who applied for the card in time for the expiration of eUps, but not in time for a different date that wasn't listed anywhere.
unclepants likes this.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 10:36 am
  #132  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: YKZ
Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Posts: 692
Originally Posted by canadiancow
So you met their undisclosed terms, but only one of the two parties was aware of it, and it still took a big fight.

I'm a lot more worried about the people who applied for the card in time for the expiration of eUps, but not in time for a different date that wasn't listed anywhere.
It would seem that this is indeed the case. I was concerned that there may be a Dec 31st cutoff, but was not sure - as to your point, this condition was never disclosed to me...

For those who did get accepted post Dec 31, but in advance of the actual Eup expiry period, I would press this fact with your specific CC issuer. In my case it was the ONLY reason I chose to upgrade my CC this year. Explain the same, ask for escalation if needed and politely ask them to provided the Dec 31st requirement in writing (as you cannot find this specified in any of the minutia of their T's & C's, written by their team of legal contract law specialists). When they in turn realize that this requirement was never shared as terms of this contract (offer and acceptance - my more astute legal colleagues on this forum can feel free to jump in here ), I would argue that compensation is in order... The mental anguish alone caused by their deception (but I digress..).

Bait and switch is how I would characterize this (in my non legal certified opinion). Fight the good fight !

CC
VancouverFly and canadiancow like this.
Captain Canuck is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:58 am
  #133  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: YWG/LHR
Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23/Amex Air Canada Card/Delta Platinum
Posts: 234
Hi All,
I have been following the discussion on card rollover. I picked up an Amex Aeroplan Reserve card in Jan 21, 2021. The reason I got the card was save 50 Eup's in my account. I had 158 Eup's with 53 of them expiring on Feb 28th. I am waiting to see if Aeroplan corrects their rollover of the Eups in the next week or so. My thought is to write Mark Nasr if they have not correct the lack of rollover by next Friday, pointing out the lack of clarity to card holders on the rollover eligibility.

When I pretty much stopped flying in mid March, 2020, my Aeroplan end up with 55,968 SQM EARNED / AND 21SQS EARNED/ AND 7,625 SQD EARNED
Does anybody know if any of these would rollover to 2021 with the Amex Reserve Card? I am a Super Elite.

Opps, Covid error - I stopped flying last March, 2020.

Last edited by The Macker; Apr 9, 2021 at 12:25 pm
The Macker is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:03 pm
  #134  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Ontario Canada
Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by The Macker
Hi All,
I have been following the discussion on card rollover. I picked up an Amex Aeroplan Reserve card in Jan 21, 2021. The reason I got the card was save 50 Eup's in my account. I had 158 Eup's with 53 of them expiring on Feb 28th. I am waiting to see if Aeroplan corrects their rollover of the Eups in the next week or so. My thought is to write Mark Nasr if they have not correct the lack of rollover by next Friday, pointing out the lack of clarity to card holders on the rollover eligibility.

When I pretty much stopped flying in mid March, 2021, my Aeroplan end up with 55,968 SQM EARNED / AND 21SQS EARNED/ AND 7,625 SQD EARNED
Does anybody know if any of these would rollover to 2021 with the Amex Reserve Card? I am a Super Elite.
if the "55,968 SQM EARNED / AND 21SQS EARNED/ AND 7,625 SQD EARNED" is 2021 qualifications then yes those rollover into next years qualifying activity even without a credit card. you only need to qualify for 25K to be eligible for the rollover.
Aselwyn is offline  
Old Apr 9, 2021, 12:05 pm
  #135  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Posts: 44,819
Originally Posted by The Macker
Hi All,
I have been following the discussion on card rollover. I picked up an Amex Aeroplan Reserve card in Jan 21, 2021. The reason I got the card was save 50 Eup's in my account. I had 158 Eup's with 53 of them expiring on Feb 28th. I am waiting to see if Aeroplan corrects their rollover of the Eups in the next week or so. My thought is to write Mark Nasr if they have not correct the lack of rollover by next Friday, pointing out the lack of clarity to card holders on the rollover eligibility.

When I pretty much stopped flying in mid March, 2021, my Aeroplan end up with 55,968 SQM EARNED / AND 21SQS EARNED/ AND 7,625 SQD EARNED
Does anybody know if any of these would rollover to 2021 with the Amex Reserve Card? I am a Super Elite.
You should roll over 5,968 SQM because you qualified for 50K.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.