Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Aeroplan Credit Card Rollover Benefits

Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Dia Amb
Originally Posted by 2MM
My apologies if this has been discussed, I don't seem to find it in any other post.

Say you are a lifetime 50K Elite with a premium Aeroplan card. If you have earned 49 SQM for the year, your rollover benefit for the coming year will be 14 SQM (calculated as 35 earned and 14 extra) . If you earn 51SQM for the year your rollover your rollover benefit for the coming year will be 1 SQM. In either case you will remain 50K Elite. Is that correct? Same question for someone nearing the 75k or 100 k threshold if they have lifetime status. It seems that anyone near the threshold is better off not crossing it, in order to earn higher amount.
You are correct.
I had this situation a couple of years ago. Lifetime 50K Elite, earned something like 42K SQM and had 7K rollover. Note, SQD also matters. I had enough spend to earn 35K Elite. If you earned 150K SQM but only had enough SQD for 35K, you would get 115K SQM rollover.
YOWgary and Adam Smith like this.
Old Aug 5, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E75K, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I got the AMEX Aeroplan Reserve 11 months ago. I'm a 75K and currently have ~40K SQM, including 12K rollover SQM from last year.

I expect that If I cancel the card (to avoid paying another $599), I will lose those rollover miles, but will this also happen if I apply for and get a TD Aeroplan VIP before I cancel?
Old Aug 5, 2023, 11:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tax Dude
I had this situation a couple of years ago. Lifetime 50K Elite, earned something like 42K SQM and had 7K rollover. Note, SQD also matters. I had enough spend to earn 35K Elite. If you earned 150K SQM but only had enough SQD for 35K, you would get 115K SQM rollover.
Just curious to clarify - did anyone have Lifetime 50K but not earn enough SQD for even 25K? Would you still have rollover SQM from the 25K level, or no rollover because you didn't hit any SQD requirement even though you "earned" 50K through Lifetime status?
Old Aug 8, 2023, 4:18 pm

Programs: AC SE, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum
Hello,

I own an AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Credit Card and I am entitled to rollover up to 50 eUpgrade credits to the following year according to the terms and conditions:

Rollover eUpgrade Credits Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year. eUpgrade credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit.

However, how do I know if my current credits (18) are rolled over from a previous year? I am assuming that, by default, the credits I used this year were the older ones and the 28 I have left were acquired in 2022, leaving them eligible to be rolled over to 2023.

Also - there is a expiry date in the AC website for my existing upgrade credits, is it safe to assume the expiry date is updated FOR the AMEX Reserve Card?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:29 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by xinzhang5228
Hello,

I own an AMEX Aeroplan Reserve Credit Card and I am entitled to rollover up to 50 eUpgrade credits to the following year according to the terms and conditions:

Rollover eUpgrade Credits Basic Cardmembers who also hold Aeroplan Elite Status will be able to roll over up to a maximum of 50 eUpgrade credits received in the prior status year to the next status year. eUpgrade credits issued on a promotional basis, as well as those already rolled over from a previous benefit year, are not eligible for this benefit.

However, how do I know if my current credits (18) are rolled over from a previous year? I am assuming that, by default, the credits I used this year were the older ones and the 28 I have left were acquired in 2022, leaving them eligible to be rolled over to 2023.

Also - there is a expiry date in the AC website for my existing upgrade credits, is it safe to assume the expiry date is updated FOR the AMEX Reserve Card?

Thanks!
eUG credits are retired in the sequence that they were earned, so if you only have 18 left, ask yourself, did I earn more than 18 credits this year, if so, then those should be eligible to roll-over.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by billdokes
eUG credits are retired in the sequence that they were earned, so if you only have 18 left, ask yourself, did I earn more than 18 credits this year, if so, then those should be eligible to roll-over.
Thanks for your help. Then i guess this means that the expiry date per the eUG on the website is not reflective of the Aeroplan benefits.

thanks again
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:09 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Thanks for your help. Then i guess this means that the expiry date per the eUG on the website is not reflective of the Aeroplan benefits.

thanks again
Yes and no. The credits being rolled over 'expire' and then are added back into your account at a later date, which can create some issues during the interim period as you can't use them until they are re-instated.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 6:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by billdokes
Yes and no. The credits being rolled over 'expire' and then are added back into your account at a later date, which can create some issues during the interim period as you can't use them until they are re-instated.
It also means you cannot use the rollover eups NOW for a trip, say, in Apr 2024. You have to wait until next Jan when the rollover is posted.
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:33 pm

Quick question on this rollover.

Say at the end of 2022, I was Aeroplan 25k, but I only had 18,000 SQM, does the 18 roll over to 2023? Or does 0?
Old Aug 15, 2023, 2:52 pm
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Quick question on this rollover.

Say at the end of 2022, I was Aeroplan 25k, but I only had 18,000 SQM, does the 18 roll over to 2023? Or does 0?
You should already be able to see this since it’s 2023 now… I assume not as you need to have organically earned elite status to qualify.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:42 am

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by mikeyyz
Just curious to clarify - did anyone have Lifetime 50K but not earn enough SQD for even 25K? Would you still have rollover SQM from the 25K level, or no rollover because you didn't hit any SQD requirement even though you "earned" 50K through Lifetime status?
Bumping this. Also if you have lifetime 50K but didn't earn any status are you still eligible for rolling over e-credits? The T&C there says that you just need to hold Elite status, not earn it.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 9:57 am
wjw

Programs: Air Canada - Super Elite, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yvr76
Bumping this. Also if you have lifetime 50K but didn't earn any status are you still eligible for rolling over e-credits? The T&C there says that you just need to hold Elite status, not earn it.
If you continue to read past that line in the T&C it goes on to say:

This benefit applies when the member qualified for Aeroplan Elite Status by earning the required SQM or Status Qualifying Segments (SQS), as well as the required Status Qualifying Dollars (SQD), in the prior qualification year. If the member has been granted complimentary status, as determined by Air Canada, that is higher than the status they would have earned via their Status Qualifying balances, the rollover amount will be based on the status they would have earned otherwise (if any), and not the granted status.
Not sure if there is an exception to be made for Lifetime elite. The “as determined by Air Canada” might mean some wiggle room.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 11:23 am

My 50K status will expire end of 2023 and will have no status in 2024. I currently hold the Amex Aeroplan Reserve card and will continue to hold it in 2024. I plan to apply for the Chase US aeroplan card in January 2024, if approved, would I still be able to have my unused e U/G from 2023 rolled over based on the 25K status I get with the credit card?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC SE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by canadianidol
My 50K status will expire end of 2023 and will have no status in 2024. I currently hold the Amex Aeroplan Reserve card and will continue to hold it in 2024. I plan to apply for the Chase US aeroplan card in January 2024, if approved, would I still be able to have my unused e U/G from 2023 rolled over based on the 25K status I get with the credit card?
Maybe. The reserve T&Cs say:

Rollover eUpgrade credits
will be deposited directly into the member’s Aeroplan account no
later than March 30 of any given year, provided the member holds
Aeroplan Elite Status at that time, and held Aeroplan Elite Status in
the previous benefit year
I guess the risk is that they look at your status at some date before you get 25K from the Chase card. It would be safer to apply for the Chase Aeroplan this year, but then you'd have 25K until the end of 2024 only.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC SE
It looks like I will be rolling over the full 200,000 miles at the end of this year.

Does that mean, when I begin the new benefit year, I will immediately receive all of the threshold gifts and eUpgrade credits that are earned between 0 and 200,000 miles? (55,000 Aeroplan points and 80 eUpgrade credits) I am assuming so…

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.