Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, and 2020 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2021, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by smallmj
I was reminded yesterday if the wedding conversation here from a few weeks ago. I went to a funeral for the son of a friend of mine. Under current rules in Nova Scotia, the funeral home could seat 40-50 for a celebration of life service. So aside from the all of the other difficulties involved in saying goodbye to a young man, they had to pick and choose who to invite to the funeral. Talk about heaping Pelion upon Ossa.
A friend of mine died quite early on in the pandemic. At the time, his family could only have 10 people at the service. Since then, they have reached out to various groups of his friends to spend a few hours sharing memories of him with a dozen or so people at a time.

I didn't realize until then how cathartic it is to get together with others and share each other's grief. At a time when we have gone a year without seeing many of the people we care about in person, it is even easier for a person's death to go unprocessed. It feels like a lot of life has been on pause since 2020, and the loss of people who have died in the last year can blend together with that - except they are never coming back.

I hope your friend and their family have the chance to properly mourn their loss in the weeks and months to come.
Old Apr 12, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by eigenvector
I didn't realize until then how cathartic it is to get together with others and share each other's grief. At a time when we have gone a year without seeing many of the people we care about in person, it is even easier for a person's death to go unprocessed. It feels like a lot of life has been on pause since 2020, and the loss of people who have died in the last year can blend together with that - except they are never coming back.
This was really driven home for me when my father passed in 2019. He had stipulated that he didn't want any sort of service/visitation/memorial whatsoever. I didn't realize how badly I needed the release that a funeral provides until I went to a different funeral about a month later. That funeral for a friend I hadn't seen in 20 years hit me incredibly hard because during it I felt completely robbed of the chance to grieve properly for my own family member.

I feel really terrible for people whose grief has been put on hold by this pandemic.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Every day it gets a little bit better.

The kitchen needs more work though.

I have a new drill bit arriving tomorrow to make a hole for the CO2 and H2O for the fountain, so I can run the tubes more cleanly.

I likely need an electrician to replace the overhead lights with standard bulb sockets so I can make them smart.

But at least I've replaced the crappy under-cupboard fluorescent tubes with a nice light strip.

Bohemian1 and Adam Smith like this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:15 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by canadiancow
But at least I've replaced the crappy under-cupboard fluorescent tubes with a nice light strip.
Really trying to recreate that nightclub atmosphere, eh?
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Really trying to recreate that nightclub atmosphere, eh?
You should have seen it last night when I had most of the lights playing to the music
Old Apr 14, 2021, 8:42 pm

I likely need an electrician to replace the overhead lights with standard bulb sockets so I can make them smart.
I have no idea why people install light fixtures that can't be maintained by the homeowner. On the one hand, they sometimes look a bit nicer. On the other hand, it's a minimum $250 job to do, well, anything to do it in the future.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 9:12 pm

Programs: AC 75k
I have no idea why people install light fixtures that can't be maintained by the homeowner. On the one hand, they sometimes look a bit nicer. On the other hand, it's a minimum $250 job to do, well, anything to do it in the future.
Yup not a fan of these integrated fixtures. One can go down in 3 years, and you can't repair or replace it. My daughter fell in love with a pair of fixtures for her bedroom with 4 integrated housings and LED light source each. One LED went dead in less than a year. Live with the burnt one or replace both fixtures, because you can't even source the original anymore and you can't fix it.
Only a matter of time before another one goes. I am a LED fan, but always prefer LED in a standard A20, GU 10 etc so a single faulty bulb can just get replaced.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by FlY2XS
I am a LED fan, but always prefer LED in a standard A20, GU 10 etc so a single faulty bulb can just get replaced.
Exactly. One of that I've only gradually been add LEDs into the mix at our house. That and tunable colour temperature. Oh yeah, and the fact we have over 60 lights in the house ...
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:15 pm

The worst part is the physical fixture is identical to my standard socket fixtures. It's only the electrical part that's different.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:16 pm

The worst part is the physical fixture is identical to my standard socket fixtures. It's only the electrical part that's different.
Electricians creating business for themselves.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Haven't tried it. But I'll add it to my list.

One I'd really like is Cachaça Salinas Black Extra Premium, but I haven't found it here yet.
I should report that the caipirinhas were not the best. I'm not sure whether that's the cachaça's fault though, as I think the limes may have been overly bitter and just not great flavour. I've had issues with that lately, and it would definitely be a problem in such a lime-focused drink.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the cachaça for the time being. I'll probably try it in some other drinks first and then try caipirinhas again then I'm more confident in the limes.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:50 am

I should report that the caipirinhas were not the best. I'm not sure whether that's the cachaça's fault though, as I think the limes may have been overly bitter and just not great flavour. I've had issues with that lately, and it would definitely be a problem in such a lime-focused drink.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the cachaça for the time being. I'll probably try it in some other drinks first and then try caipirinhas again then I'm more confident in the limes.
You did add sugar, right?
Old Apr 15, 2021, 11:55 am

You did add sugar, right?
😥 I'm sad that you think so little of me that you would ask that.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:39 pm

😥 I'm sad that you think so little of me that you would ask that.
At the risk of insulting your intelligence, I just wanted to ensure a smooth drinking experience.

Limes are tricky and variable things for We in the North. Luckily, the juice laden ones tend to be cheap during Tiki Season, so I stock up then.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 12:49 pm

Limes are tricky and variable things for We in the North. Luckily, the juice laden ones tend to be cheap during Tiki Season, so I stock up then.
Tiki Season? Isn't that all year?

Stock up? Do you just mean you consume more lime-heavy drinks during that period and fewer outside of it? I can't imagine they'd keep all that long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.