Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This new annual thread has been carved out of the previous thread in an effort to reduce the number of megathreads on the AC forum. For those interested previous versions are the original 2004 - 2014 thread , 2015 edition, 2016 edition , 2017 edition, 2018 edition, 2019 edition, and 2020 edition.

The original thread started by accident but quickly became a popular place to come and discuss off topic things such as hockey, new movies, or almost anything that wouldn't fit into existing AC forum threads. Air Canada or Aeroplan topics such as flight feedback, in-flight services issues, status or mileage earning/redemption are all topics that should go into existing AC forum threads so others can benefit from this information. Topics about hotels or airlines and/or their loyalty programs, destinations, in-flight travel tech. or anything best discussed elsewhere on FT may be relocated to that forum as this thread isn't meant to import travel topics to this forum that are better discussed on other forums. FT is an amazingly diverse and large community so members are encouraged to seek out all of its resources.

While the conversation is more relaxed as it would be in a lounge that doesn't mean however that the FT rules don't apply here as they definitely do so please refrain from controversial topics such as politics or religion, avoid profanities and treat other lounge patrons with the same respect you expect.

Adam Smith & tcook052
AC Forum Co-Moderators
Print Wikipost

The Forum Lounge Thread (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2021, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I think FB has a business version of Rooms too, that they're internally switching to from BlueJeans.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:16 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Dude, you missed GoToMeeting, not to mention Google Meet.

I've yet to come across Chime though.
Yeah, missed those two. Chime is an Amazon thing.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, UA S, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think FB has a business version of Rooms too, that they're internally switching to from BlueJeans.
Bluejeans is the worst of the bunch I think. I have it on good authority that FB uses Zoom now, which is what we use. A few places insist on using Hangouts which I like but runs my CPU at 100%.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by recreationaltimetraveller
Bluejeans is the worst of the bunch I think. I have it on good authority that FB uses Zoom now, which is what we use. A few places insist on using Hangouts which I like but runs my CPU at 100%.
Funny, I had it on good authority that very few people in FB use Zoom. I guess it's a huge company.

But I do know they are all transitioning to Rooms. Why pay a third-party when you literally make a competing product?
Old Mar 6, 2021, 10:07 pm

So, over post B-day beverages, a good friend (and future FTer) mentioned QF's Mystery Flights.

To the ACA lurkers out there, sign me up. Right now. Please.
expert7700 likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Bohemian1
So, over post B-day beverages, a good friend (and future FTer) mentioned QF's Mystery Flights.

To the ACA lurkers out there, sign me up. Right now. Please.
this is literally the AC Zoom DO discussion right now.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
this is literally the AC Zoom DO discussion right now.
This is why you need to join and include all of your b'day guests on the call!
Old Mar 7, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by painintheuk
This is why you need to join and include all of your b'day guests on the call!
The stuff I miss ...
Old Mar 7, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
An actual conversation with daughter #2 today:

Me: Where's the boy? (her brother)
Her: I disintegrated him.
Me: That's too bad. Now who's going to load the dishwasher?

I might have raised strange children.
vernonc and Bohemian1 like this.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Can't imagine moving with 7 kids - even our moved with 0 kids have been hard enough!

One rarely hears about people moving back east - though we are thinking of it in the next couple of years. Maybe even YYT/YHZ (though probably smaller towns on the water - not sure how small smallmj 's town is). Never moving back to YYZ, though!
My town is small. 1190 people in 2016. And quite far inland by Nova Scotia standards. The coast is nearly 20 km away.
painintheuk likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Does anyone else feel that car manufacturers have gone overboard with their expectations on surveys? I took my car in for service a couple weeks ago and they want me to do a survey. They emphasize the importance of getting 10/10. But 10 is "exceptional". And they want me to say I exceeded their expectations.

I have no complaints, but I took it in to look at a minor issue, they resolved it, and got me the car back later in the day. They did what needed, and service was fine, but I would give it an 8 or 9 and say they met expectations, because they didn't do anything exceptional.

Since I don't want to give the dealer a black mark for getting not-a-10, I just don't bother filling out the survey, and they gain no information from me.

Seems counterproductive to me.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 10:41 am

Does anyone else feel that car manufacturers have gone overboard with their expectations on surveys? I took my car in for service a couple weeks ago and they want me to do a survey. They emphasize the importance of getting 10/10. But 10 is "exceptional". And they want me to say I exceeded their expectations.

I have no complaints, but I took it in to look at a minor issue, they resolved it, and got me the car back later in the day. They did what needed, and service was fine, but I would give it an 8 or 9 and say they met expectations, because they didn't do anything exceptional.

Since I don't want to give the dealer a black mark for getting not-a-10, I just don't bother filling out the survey, and they gain no information from me.

Seems counterproductive to me.
Yup.

I want to rate Uber/Lyft 3* most of the time, because I want their to be room for 4*/5*, but a 3* rating seriously negatively affects the driver. Heck, if you select anything below 5, the app asks "what went wrong?"

Nothing went. wrong, but I want to leave room to give a better rating for the drivers who offer me a charging cable and bottle of water

Or I guess my answer is "it's not just car manufacturers".
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Does anyone else feel that car manufacturers have gone overboard with their expectations on surveys? I .
Yes, and they want a 10 because they are competing against other dealers for a top score.

/Survey system for hotels and dealers is often rigged anyway. If they knows they messed something up, they often change your email address so that the survey link goes to a black hole.

//On my one car that had multiple trips spanning weeks in the shop for the same issues, I was able to use the dozen or so unfilled survey links as a negotiating tactic to waive a $1000 prepay diagnostic fee.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:33 pm

Did anyone take my advice and buy DASH puts?
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Did anyone take my advice and buy DASH puts?
Negative. I didn't make any additional investments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.