Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: 2 Pets per passenger?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Originally Posted by onlyairfare
Depending on your time, you might consider renting a car and driving the cats to your destination.
>$500 for a one-way car rental, 5 nights in hotels, maybe 8 tanks of gas... it'd be cheaper to fly YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YVR, aside from the fact that many people don't consider 50 hours of driving in Canadian winter to be a particularly fun time.

If the border were open, I'd be happy to fly from YVR (less than an hour form my town) to YYZ and help bring one of your cats back out west. I'm getting my second Covid vaccine on Jan 20 so I will be good for travel soon.
On what are you basing your assumption that a COVID vaccine will exempt you from quarantine on entry to Canada, any time in the next several months?

Some years back, I put my two gray cats in one carrier and never told anyone there was more than one cat in there. I don't think one could do that these days.
Aside from the part where this is a godawful way to treat your pets - and the part where it could absolutely get you denied boarding - what do you do when the cats decide they've had enough, and start fighting in the carrier while you're two hours out from landing?
Twickenham and canadiancow like this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by 5Miles
The Christmas embargo that lasts until Jan 12th is only for pets in cargo. Pets can travel in the cabin at anytime, as long as maximum pets per flight hasn't been exceeded. The number of pets per flight varies with the aircraft type. I think 2-4 pets per flight.

Also if your move is employment-related, the costs of transporting your cats is a tax-deductible moving expense. This may help offset your costs if you have to take 2 flights or pay for another passenger to accompany the 2nd cat.

Wish I could help, but almost always fly with my small dog in the cabin. Best wishes on your move
Thanks for your insight! Will take note of the possible tax-deductible portion, also did not know about the cargo situation. Perhaps I wasn't clear with the agent and she thought I had wanted them in cargo, I'll call back to see how cabin availability looks.

Originally Posted by EagleBoss
I also happen to be moving, my flight is on January 10th from Ottawa with a layover in Toronto. The only other snag is I'm in Premium Economy, and it seems they don't allow pets, so I'd have change seats. If the date works with you, let me know!
This might be a little bit too early for me but I will get back to you soon! I also would not want to move you from Premium Economy down to Economy just for my sake or the sake of a furry friend.

Depending on your time, you might consider renting a car and driving the cats to your destination.

Due to weather conditions, air transport of my dog (too large for under-the-seat) from NC to AZ was not feasible so I scheduled two meetings in NC 3 weeks apart. Flew to NC for first meeting, picked up dog and drove rental car 1,920 miles in 3 days to AZ, three weeks later drove rental car back to NC, turned it in, flew return trip back to AZ.

If the border were open, I'd be happy to fly from YVR (less than an hour form my town) to YYZ and help bring one of your cats back out west. I'm getting my second Covid vaccine on Jan 20 so I will be good for travel soon.

Some years back, I put my two gray cats in one carrier and never told anyone there was more than one cat in there. I don't think one could do that these days.
While I have considered making the drive, I don't believe it's ideal with cats - dogs might be better with it but don't think my cats particularly like being outside a home. Also, as others mentioned I do believe this would end up being quite a bit more expensive than flying the route 2x. Thank you though.
YZF_Elite likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Originally Posted by YOWgary
>$500 for a one-way car rental, 5 nights in hotels, maybe 8 tanks of gas... it'd be cheaper to fly YYZ-YVR-YYZ-YVR, aside from the fact that many people don't consider 50 hours of driving in Canadian winter to be a particularly fun time.

On what are you basing your assumption that a COVID vaccine will exempt you from quarantine on entry to Canada, any time in the next several months?

Aside from the part where this is a godawful way to treat your pets - and the part where it could absolutely get you denied boarding - what do you do when the cats decide they've had enough, and start fighting in the carrier while you're two hours out from landing?
A big enough kennel and two small cats is no issue. Defo you’ll want some Gabapentin or other drug for cats. In the case I mentioned they came from Germany and transited Toronto. Drugs required!

CATSA actually helped my friend handle his cats. All airlines have different pet restrictions; knowing them isn’t CATSA’s business.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
A big enough kennel and two small cats is no issue. Defo you’ll want some Gabapentin or other drug for cats. In the case I mentioned they came from Germany and transited Toronto. Drugs required!

CATSA actually helped my friend handle his cats. All airlines have different pet restrictions; knowing them isn’t CATSA’s business.
I have Gabapentin and tested them with it already - everything looks to be good!

I appreciate the knowledge and suggestions but at this point it looks like I will just have to find someone to come with me. I would prefer not putting them both together even if I know they get along (they're sisters).

I've explored all the major Canadian airlines I think (AC, WJ, AT and even Flair...) and most either allow 1 pet carrier per passenger or no pets in cabin.

Thanks for the replies.
EagleBoss likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Best of luck!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by deadinabsentia
A big enough kennel and two small cats is no issue.
OP mentioned wanting to take the cat(s) in the cabin, in which case the maximum size of the carrier is regulated, as it has to fit under your seat, and for a pair of 8-pound cats that'd be snug for sure.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EagleBoss
Best of luck!
Thank you!
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JeffYVR
I have Gabapentin and tested them with it already - everything looks to be good!

I appreciate the knowledge and suggestions but at this point it looks like I will just have to find someone to come with me. I would prefer not putting them both together even if I know they get along (they're sisters).

I've explored all the major Canadian airlines I think (AC, WJ, AT and even Flair...) and most either allow 1 pet carrier per passenger or no pets in cabin.

Thanks for the replies.
If you buy an EXTRA-SEAT (does AC allow this if the passenger isn't obese and just wants more space), does this permit a second pet in its own carrier?

BTW, if an employer is covering the cost of a move, I'm not sure a second ticket for a cat carrier or a second trip would be reimbursed. If it's a new employer (job change, not just internal transfer), I'd be a bit reluctant to ask about policy for this situation.

Also BTW, does Canada have any companies that handle pet re-location, either as part of a general moving company, cargo carrier, or stand-alone specialty business? They're likely to be expensive, but if they're good, it could be a solution. [In the USA, there is/was a small airline that flew pets on special aircraft between certain cities, IIRC with a vet tech on board. I've also seen reports of pet brokers handling the logistics, especially for international transfers, perhaps mostly flying the pets as cargo with special handling.]

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 30, 2020 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 30, 2020, 8:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@JeffYVR
And it seems someone forgot to say Welcome to FT!
Along with the others, I wish you the best of luck with your move and making sure your cats enjoy their trip west. Please post updates.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you buy an EXTRA-SEAT (does AC allow this if the passenger isn't obese and just wants more space), does this permit a second pet in its own carrier?

BTW, if an employer is covering the cost of a move, I'm not sure a second ticket for a cat carrier or a second trip would be reimbursed. If it's a new employer (job change, not just internal transfer), I'd be a bit reluctant to ask about policy for this situation.

Also BTW, does Canada have any companies that handle pet re-location, either as part of a general moving company, cargo carrier, or stand-alone specialty business? They're likely to be expensive, but if they're good, it could be a solution. [In the USA, there is/was a small airline that flew pets on special aircraft between certain cities, IIRC with a vet tech on board. I've also seen reports of pet brokers handling the logistics, especially for international transfers, perhaps mostly flying the pets as cargo with special handling.]
Great idea, I'll give AC a call tomorrow to see what their policy/if this would be possible.

In terms of relocation, I am not being comped I won't have to worry about this as much.

and lastly, there are some pet re-location services from a quick google search, however they seem to be much more expensive than paying for a second YYZ-YVR-YYZ revenue ticket. If the flight was longer or I was going between international borders I may consider, but in this case I think in cabin, in the air will be my cheapest option - or so I hope.

Originally Posted by 24left
@JeffYVR
And it seems someone forgot to say Welcome to FT!
Along with the others, I wish you the best of luck with your move and making sure your cats enjoy their trip west. Please post updates.
Thank you!
I've been lurking since the start of this year and have gone through too many threads in a 12 month period.. but finally found a reason to post. Hopefully I can positively contribute as well in the future.
painintheuk and 24left like this.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:36 pm

Programs: MR Bonvoy LP , AC/AE, DL, Porter, SU, Nexus, APEC
Jeff, this should not be a big problem, pre-covid a number of Cat Shows were held every weekend throughout North America with many of the exhibitors flying to the shows with their cats. Many exhibitors use carry-on bags with a zippered divider in the middle to separate the cats. https://sturdiproducts.com/collectio...-divided-large .

Yes you may need to take both cats out at screening, the screeners have no idea of the requirements of your airline.........or do they care. BTW if you are not comfortable removing both of your cats in the hub-bub of security clearance area, you can ask to be cleared in an enclosed room.

My best advise as a person who has flown many times with cats, try to be as unnoticeable as possible, once on the plane stow your 'package' asap and do not draw attention to it. My experience over the years has been that over 90% of my seatmates had no idea that I was flying with a cat, and why should they.

BTW if this does not work for you PM me as I do have a friend with reasonable pet transportation service connections.

Bob

Last edited by CDN_BOBCAT; Dec 31, 2020 at 5:41 pm
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by JeffYVR
Hello FT,

I'm moving from Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR) by myself and hopefully my 2 cats.

I've been looking for options and it looks like AC only allows 1 pet per passenger. Both my cats are around 8lbs so I would like/need them to fly in cabin with me.

Currently my options are taking another person with me (finding this difficult as majority of people I know do not want to fly during these times which I can understand), or making 2 trips, taking 1 cat at a time which isn't ideal.

Do you guys have any recommendations or experiences on the matter?

Thanks.
I am Booked for Jan 21st YOW-YYZ-YYC

Willing to help out, we can chat?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
At the moment I think Via Rail is only running The Canadian from Vancouver to Winnipeg, but might be worth checking with Via to see if they are running the whole route to Toronto and if you can take cats on the train.

I wouldn't want to consider a one way car rental. Last time I did that I found out that there are no free km. At 25 cents/km the cost adds up very quickly.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:10 am

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Just claim they are emotional support cats, apparently anything goes in that case...was in J on AC 115 on 12-27 and the woman across the aisle from me had what looked more like a ferret than a dog which she held against her chest for the entire flight...I asked the FA (politely) if the animal wasn't supposed to be in a Carrier and was told in a very chastising manner that it was an emotional support dog, as if I was supposed to have known that...clearly the other PAX's need for emotional support from the ferret like canine was more important than my allergies.
closecover likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by billdokes
Just claim they are emotional support cats
Dogs are the only service animals Air Canada accepts, and you'll need to submit a sworn statement from a mental-health professional in advance of your flight, identifying both the need for a service animal, and the identity of the specific animal performing this role.

Also worth noting that the United States is currently revising its rules on support animals, and AC flights to/from the US may be affected in future. Check carefully before making your plans.
Adam Smith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.