Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

10% off AC gift cards until 2020-12-21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond

https://aircanada.buyatab.com/custom...tml?page=eGift

[color=#000000]Limited time offer! Get 10% off when you purchase Air Canada Gift Cards between December 18 at 00:01 PST and December 21 at 23:59 PST. For example, spend $250 and receive a $25 discount or spend $1,000 and receive a $100 discount. Offer available online only. Discount offer is limited to a maximum of one (1) online order per person. Please note the maximum online purchase is $2,000 per order. A one-time 10% discount (up to $200) will automatically be applied to the eligible order. The 10% discount does not apply to shipping cost, which must be paid in full at the time of purchase.
Emphasis on "one order per person".

Credit to philelite for informing me.

Though I'm still unable to use my TD Aeroplan card to buy any big cards, so... 🤷
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: AC SE
Hopefully they're not like the gift cards for cancelled flights where it takes AC between 3-6 months to issue a functioning gift card ;-)
hoipolloi likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, WoH Explorist
As much as I like a good deal I see no point in letting Air Canada anywhere close to my money at this point given their failure in reimbursing cancelled tickets.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Sign me up!
Imma gonna to buy a bunch to have them either not work properly, or all my flights gets cancelled and everything goes into purgatory!

All kidding aside... 10% isn't much... but I guess they've done their analysis and figure that they will get the customers they anticipate.
expert7700, skybluesea and seat38a like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SweFlyer
As much as I like a good deal I see no point in letting Air Canada anywhere close to my money at this point given their failure in reimbursing cancelled tickets.
​​​​​Maximum opportunity cost is by skipping this deal is 10%.
Would only be worth it to us if we had imminent travel and foresight of knowing what 2021 status requirement ends up being.

In these times, max opportunity cost / hassle aproaches 100% if someone books travel using an AC gift card versus a credit card.

(Lowest risk and best answer is of course to book on a consumer friendly airline, which AC has demonstrated they are not)
​​​​​​
Bohemian1 and SweFlyer like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 21, 2020 at 10:28 am
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:56 am

Cold deal. They often have 15% or %20 discount promo code offers these days. No need to lock cash away earlier than necessary
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:10 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K - Hilton Diamond - Marriott Platinum
fairly useful 10% is a common discount from Sobeys every like 6 months but we can get larger then only $500 cards this way
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:29 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Can't say I'm moved by this one. AC already has tons of my money; I don't feel like giving them any more for such a small incentive.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Are we able to use gift cards and discount codes on AC simultaneously? Or only one or the other.

Seems like its an acceptable deal for those who aren't stuck with accumulated cash with them already.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Cold deal. They often have 15% or %20 discount promo code offers these days. No need to lock cash away earlier than necessary
This would stack with that though.

20% off a $2500 fare, paid for with a $2000 GC purchased for $1800 is an effective 28% discount.

I may still buy a $2000 GC with one of my US cards, but I'm going to be writing a nasty letter about how their vendor refuses to let me purchase with my high-end co-branded credit card.

My bigger issue right now is that for next year, I have:

1. Flight passes that cover all my North American travel (this may extend into 2021 as well)
2. Five TPAC paid tickets (PY and J). These can be moved for free if there's a schedule change, or turned into gift cards. They will not all be flown.
3. One four-figure GC coming from an earlier cancellation.
4. One non-AC TATL.

If I were confident in a need to use a GC (like i didn't have all my international trips already booked, or I was confident there'd be an EYW), I'd be all over this. But I need to think about it.
tcook052 and hoipolloi like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bonaventure
Are we able to use gift cards and discount codes on AC simultaneously? Or only one or the other.

Seems like its an acceptable deal for those who aren't stuck with accumulated cash with them already.
Yes, you can use both - up to one discount code and 2 payment methods (GC, CC, etc).
Does anyone know whether purchases code as travel?
Old Dec 18, 2020, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Does anyone know whether purchases code as travel?
They do not.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They do not.
Which is why Sobeys frequent 10% off may be a better deal. At least that codes as grocery.

And if you get your Sobeys gift cards for 10/15% off from the wallet apps. Now you're talking.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by canadiancow
They do not.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Which is why Sobeys frequent 10% off may be a better deal. At least that codes as grocery.

And if you get your Sobeys gift cards for 10/15% off from the wallet apps. Now you're talking.
Sobeys 10% off plus 5x groceries (2250 MR select) on cobalt card was a favorite of mine when I was in Canada.

The fact that AC doesn't sell these themselves is what keeps me from biting even at 10% off. The fact that they can be used to do the cash + points for redemptions is great for me, but having to float the money now for at best 2x points vs just using AMEX plat for 5x MR at time of booking is not worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.