Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

10% off AC gift cards until 2020-12-21

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

10% off AC gift cards until 2020-12-21

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
This is probably aimed at FOTSGs (I'm a big spoon kinda FOTSG, so not the same type of FOTSG as a real FOTSG FOTSG).
"I just avoided having to pay an extra $3 by snagging the last Standard seat! Oh and look grandma, look! look! regardez! 10% off something! I'm in!"
painintheuk and yyztozag like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
AC has plenty of my money already in credits and flights I am unlikely to take - otherwise I'd be biting. My company might take advantage for some employees who (still) travel regularly by buying one for each of them.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada 50K, Marriott Gold,
Not a bad offer at all, especially if this qualifies for 2x earn on aircanada.com purchases with the Infinite Privilege Cards. Takes the discount up to ~15% assuming 2% redemption value of those extra points.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: SE 100K MM,UA Gold, Marriott Titanium,Hilton Diamond, Golden Circle Jade, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by TOR27
Not a bad offer at all, especially if this qualifies for 2x earn on aircanada.com purchases with the Infinite Privilege Cards. Takes the discount up to ~15% assuming 2% redemption value of those extra points.
My experiences has been that this charges as buyatab and not aircanada and doesn't trigger category multipliers.ymmv.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Well, I was wrong. There are many ways to view this.
I guess truly in the eye of the buyer.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:41 pm

It's a good offer and a no brainer to get 10% off. If you have disposal funds and know you will buy AC airfares for travel next year (or for any future travel), then it makes perfect sense. Remember 10% discount is used towards method of payment and would be on top of other 10/15/20/25% discounts AC will offer in the future. Plus you also get CC points for buying the gift card. Now the question is how much (not if) you value 10% off to invest the right amount of dollars in advance towards airfare.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mileageking
It's a good offer and a no brainer to get 10% off. If you have disposal funds and know you will buy AC airfares for travel next year (or for any future travel), then it makes perfect sense. Remember 10% discount is used towards method of payment and would be on top of other 10/15/20/25% discounts AC will offer in the future. Plus you also get CC points for buying the gift card. Now the question is how much (not if) you value 10% off to invest the right amount of dollars in advance towards airfare.
Sure, makes sense.
I think some of the visceral reactions, including mine, are from the known and documented experiences here on FT, along with personal experience using the GCs.
So part of it is knowledge, experience, and risk tolerance.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:07 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Many of us have thousands, or tens of thousands, of dollars tied up with AC already, in credits, travel vouchers, eCoupons, FPs, etc. With travel uncertain for 2021, it could well be 12-24 months before these get used, for many of us.

Using GCs on purchases also typically negates any travel insurance that may come with paying on a credit card, and since the purchase doesn't code as travel, it will likely earn fewer points for many people.

To each his own, and if it works for you, fill your boots. But all that taken in to account, 10% isn't particularly interesting to me.
painintheuk and jasdou like this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
To each his own
Best four words. Like I said it makes perfect sense for those that have disposal funds and looking to book for travel next year would go for it. There aren't many put claims through travel insurance (in the grand scheme of things would be small percentage).
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:18 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Actually, the best four words are "The bar is open."

But to each his own.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bohemian1
Actually, the best four words are "The bar is open."

But to each his own.
Someone else would say best four are "Johnnie Walker Black Label"
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:43 pm

Someone else would say best four are "Johnnie Walker Black Label"
Them's fightin' words in these parts!

Dr. PITUK
Bohemian1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:45 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Like I said it makes perfect sense for those that have disposal funds and looking to book for travel next year would go for it.
I don't think you understood my point. I have disposable funds, and I'm looking to book travel for next year. But I have a 3-month domestic UFP, an 8-credit SW Latitude pass, an 8-credit Sun pass, and a handful of credits, eCoupons and vouchers. Not to mention my Aeroplan and Amex MR balances are bloated from having cancelled so many trips this year.

If I buy a GC, it's costing me ~2% a year in interest as opportunity cost. So if it takes me 12-24 months before I use this GC, that's 2-4%. Fewer points earned since it doesn't code as travel is worth another 1-2% or so. Right off the bat, that's eating up a big chunk of that 10% discount.

GCs also can't be used to purchase FPs, which are often a good value proposition.

Just because it makes perfect sense for you doesn't mean it makes perfect sense for everyone who has disposable funds and is looking to book travel.

There aren't many put claims through travel insurance (in the grand scheme of things would be small percentage).
I never said it was huge, but it's worth factoring in. I'm out of pocket $1,000 for having used an eCoupon to pay for part of a domestic trip earlier this year after weather messed up our plans, and I've collected several thosand dollars of trip interruption/cancellation insurance in recent years. Small as a proportion of my total travel spend over that period, but cash is cash, and even if as a risked percentage there's a 1, 2, 3% chance of collecting on it, that's another erosion of the value of the 10% discount.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 8:52 pm

I don't think you understood my point. I have disposable funds, and I'm looking to book travel for next year. But I have a 3-month domestic UFP, an 8-credit SW Latitude pass, an 8-credit Sun pass, and a handful of credits, eCoupons and vouchers. Not to mention my Aeroplan and Amex MR balances are bloated from having cancelled so many trips this year.

If I buy a GC, it's costing me ~2% a year in interest as opportunity cost. So if it takes me 12-24 months before I use this GC, that's 2-4%. Fewer points earned since it doesn't code as travel is worth another 1-2% or so. Right off the bat, that's eating up a big chunk of that 10% discount.

GCs also can't be used to purchase FPs, which are often a good value proposition.

Just because it makes perfect sense for you doesn't mean it makes perfect sense for everyone who has disposable funds and is looking to book travel.
I'm not nearly as detailed in my thinking as Adam Smith , and don't have nearly as much invested, but if I'm going to give a 0 interest loan to AC, then I need more incentive - especially after how they have dealt with previous flights. I already have some credits which may or may not be recognized for cancelled flights, as well as a couple of gift cards (why can't one get digital cards with AP points?) and an interest free-loan/GoT FP.

Dr. PITUK.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:22 pm

I don't think you understood my point.
I actually did understand your point the first time but there may not be too many people in the same boat as you are with UFP, 8 credit SW latitude pass, 8 credit sun pass and handful of credits, eCoupons and vouchers all stacked up together.

If it doesn't make sense based on your personal circumstance with so many stacked up flight credits, doesn't mean it wouldn't make sense for an average consumer who is looking to get the best deal and able to use the discount as it makes perfect sense for them. To get 10% additional discount for method of payment on top of whatever AC's discounted fare offers from time to time (10/20/25%) would be viewed as significant.

I never said it was huge,
I never said that you said it was huge or it was not worth factoring in. My perspective ion travel insurance (which you brought up) is that overall it would be a small percentage of the total cost and for many I don't believe it would be a determining factor whether to go for the 10% off savings for payment option.

but cash is cash
Agree cash is cash and even more reasons for many that would want to save 10% as those savings go back into their pocket. It's a no brainer and what may not make sense for you also doesn't mean the same for many consumers.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 19, 2020 at 12:28 am Reason: Fixed quote tag

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.