2021 Package has Arrived

Old Feb 23, 21, 9:51 pm
  #136  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,968
Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
The last time I actively remember physically using my card because I had to was not for the lounge, but was to access a FastTrack lane at BRU ... circa 2016? It was an all 'round strange experience because they wanted a photograph to add it to the list of accepted card designs. Was just after one of the redesigns. (And they showed me the photo immediately to prove no personal data included.)
I've had an LH Senator lounge require the physical card since then. I'm 90% sure the calf was there (and we met in 2017), but he doesn't remember. So my recollection could be off.

I know the TG HKG lounge in Feb 2015 required my physical card, as my BP was only for PY (upgrade cleared at the gate).

I'm not emailing asking for a package yet, but I probably will if it looks like I'll be leaving North America and I still haven't received it.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 23, 21, 10:01 pm
  #137  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (Wave as you fly over)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I've had an LH Senator lounge require the physical card since then.
+1 in MUC.
canadiancow likes this.
Bohemian1 is online now  
Old Feb 24, 21, 12:24 pm
  #138  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,258
I have experienced many cases worldwide where I was asked specifically to furnish my physical card, in the last decade.
But I'm just a FOTSG now. What do I know!
yyznomad is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 12:47 pm
  #139  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,968
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I have experienced many cases worldwide where I was asked specifically to furnish my physical card, in the last decade.
But I'm just a FOTSG now. What do I know!
If it happened in 2011, that's very different than in 2019 though.
canadiancow is online now  
Old Feb 24, 21, 2:14 pm
  #140  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,258
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If it happened in 2011, that's very different than in 2019 though.
Of course! Was generally conveying that being asked for the physical card has been happening over the last while. Might be different circumstances over time, but it still continues.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 2:26 pm
  #141  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: ORD
Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy Tit, UA Silver
Posts: 153
Still waiting for it. I don't trust USPS much these days.
lewis_m is offline  
Old Feb 24, 21, 4:20 pm
  #142  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE 100K, NEXUS, IHG Rewards
Posts: 30
Originally Posted by yyznomad View Post
I have experienced many cases worldwide where I was asked specifically to furnish my physical card, in the last decade.
But I'm just a FOTSG now. What do I know!
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
If it happened in 2011, that's very different than in 2019 though.
For a data point: All three times I entered a LH Senator Lounge in Q1/2020, I was asked to show my physical card. (Haven't flown since then, so have nothing more recent to add.)
Ratsy is offline  
Old Feb 27, 21, 7:33 am
  #143  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC E35K
Posts: 89
E35K in Toronto and received my package on February 25.
canadiancow likes this.
TTC900Rocket is offline  
Old Mar 1, 21, 9:45 am
  #144  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: YYZ/CPH/HRE
Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Ratsy View Post
For a data point: All three times I entered a LH Senator Lounge in Q1/2020, I was asked to show my physical card. (Haven't flown since then, so have nothing more recent to add.)
LH (or AC) seems to have resolved their system issue requiring presentation of a card for access. They've been able to read status from an AC boarding pass since 7/20 (in both FRA and MUC) and haven't asked for it at either (Schengen and Citylights in FRA/T1 in MUC). I flew through ZRH in Sept and LX still required the card for entrance in into the Swiss lounge.
YYZHRE is offline  
Old Mar 2, 21, 4:58 am
  #145  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: AC SE MM, UA MP 1K, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Posts: 3,049
I am guessing the USPS is probably to blame. Haven’t received mine in Houston yet and wondering if it will ever come. Is this just a US problem at this point or those in other parts of the world impacted?
yyzgigi is offline  
Old Mar 29, 21, 8:18 pm
  #146  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,968
I just called about mine.

"You need to select your benefits to get it."
"I'm pretty sure that's not true. I selected mine quite late last year, and had the package months prior."
"You had the default selection last year because you didn't select anything" (false)

"This year is different'" (false)

So now an email is being sent off on my behalf because I "just want" the card and luggage tags.

But isn't that the entire package?
canadiancow is online now  
Old Mar 29, 21, 8:48 pm
  #147  
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Posts: 10,753
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
So now an email is being sent off on my behalf because I "just want" the card and luggage tags.

But isn't that the entire package?
No, there was an ad for the TD credit card in there too
Adam Smith is offline  
Old Mar 31, 21, 9:08 am
  #148  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: YYZ/YKF
Programs: AC SE
Posts: 294
I also haven't received my package. I don't sure care, but it is a bit annoying.
epiphani is offline  
Old Apr 1, 21, 11:18 pm
  #149  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 31,258
Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I just called about mine.

"You need to select your benefits to get it."
"I'm pretty sure that's not true. I selected mine quite late last year, and had the package months prior."
"You had the default selection last year because you didn't select anything" (false)

"This year is different'" (false)

So now an email is being sent off on my behalf because I "just want" the card and luggage tags.

But isn't that the entire package?
Was this the call centre? If so, was it a concierge?
Or did you call the concierge about this? (aside from whether this was a legitimate query for the concierge to deal with)
yyznomad is offline  
Old Apr 2, 21, 2:43 am
  #150  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Posts: 34,968
I would never talk to the concierge about my package.

This was the Aeroplan call center.
YYCNoob likes this.
canadiancow is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: