Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Chase, Air Canada and MC Announce Partnership to Launch a Credit Card in the US

Old Dec 14, 20, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E35K, Marriott Gold,
AC and Chase to Launch US Co-Brand Card

New US Co-Brand Card and Partnership to allow transfer of points between Chase Ultimate Rewards and Aeroplan, starting late 2021.

WILMINGTON, Del., MONTREAL and PURCHASE, N.Y., Dec. 14, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Today Chase, the largest co-brand card issuer, and Air Canada, Canada's largest airline and a Star Alliance founding member, announced a strategic partnership that will make Chase the exclusive issuer of the airline's Aeroplan U.S. credit card. As a part of this partnership, Mastercard will become the exclusive payments network for the new offering in the U.S.

The announcement comes one month after Air Canada launched its transformed Aeroplan loyalty program, which brings more value, increased flexibility, unparalleled access to Air Canada, and flight rewards with over 35 partner airlines.

"We are delighted to partner with Chase and Mastercard to relaunch our U.S. co-brand credit card. Chase's many strengths, including digital innovation, customer service excellence and a world-class brand, will help us deliver a best-in-class product for US-based Aeroplan members," said Mark Nasr, Vice President, Loyalty and eCommerce, Air Canada. "The strength of the newly transformed Aeroplan program combined with this partnership will drive significant growth and engagement ó focusing on the over two million U.S. residents with strong ties on both sides of the border."

"We are thrilled to be partnering with Air Canada, a company we greatly admire, on a new credit card for U.S. consumers," said Ed Olebe, President of Chase Co-Brand Cards. "We look forward to jointly offering innovative perks and flexible rewards delivered as part of the transformed Aeroplan loyalty program."

"Mastercard, Air Canada, and Chase share the same commitment to putting the cardholder at the center Ė providing meaningful experiences that support everyday spending and passion points," said Linda Kirkpatrick, President, U.S. Issuers at Mastercard. "We look forward to working with these terrific partners to deliver a compelling value proposition that resonates with cardholders."

Aeroplan will also become a transfer partner in Chase's Ultimate Rewards program, starting in late 2021.

The new Aeroplan Credit Card from Chase is expected to launch in late 2021.
Old Dec 14, 20, 10:33 am

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

WILMINGTON, Del., MONTREAL and PURCHASE, N.Y., Dec. 14, 2020 /CNW Telbec/ - Today Chase, the largest co-brand card issuer, and Air Canada, Canada'slargest airline and a Star Alliance founding member, announced a strategic partnership that will make Chase the exclusive issuer of the airline's Aeroplan U.S. credit card. As a part of this partnership, Mastercard will become the exclusive payments network for the new offering in the U.S.
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...853590491.html

Very interesting development as most of Chaseís portfolio is on the Visa network. Any American here happy with this development? I wonder if the card will be a high end premium card or not?
canadiancow and YYC3722 like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Tit, HH Diamond, Hyatt Glob, Accor Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...853590491.html

Very interesting development as most of Chase’s portfolio is on the Visa network. Any American here happy with this development? I wonder if the card will be a high end premium card or not?
Not an American, but hard to tell if I'm happy with the utter lack of details.

The Amex Plat earns 5 points per USD on airfare.
The Amex Gold earns 4/USD on dining and groceries.
The CSR earns 3/USD on travel and dining.
The CFU earns 1.5/USD on everything.

Amex MR can be transferred 1:1 to Aeroplan today. I presume Chase UR will be the same rate.

So to take the place of another of my cards, the earning rates have to far exceed those on the Canadian cards.

Though if it's the same price and benefits of the Canadian cards, there is a premium version, and it has no forex fees (like most US cards with annual fees) I would switch from TD to Chase, if only because it's easier to pay off.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
Not an American, but hard to tell if I'm happy with the utter lack of details.

The Amex Plat earns 5 points per USD on airfare.
The Amex Gold earns 4/USD on dining and groceries.
The CSR earns 3/USD on travel and dining.
The CFU earns 1.5/USD on everything.

Amex MR can be transferred 1:1 to Aeroplan today. I presume Chase UR will be the same rate.

So to take the place of another of my cards, the earning rates have to far exceed those on the Canadian cards.

Though if it's the same price and benefits of the Canadian cards, there is a premium version, and it has no forex fees (like most US cards with annual fees) I would switch from TD to Chase, if only because it's easier to pay off.
The card is still a year away from launching. Judging from Chaseís lineup of co-branded cards, Iím not too hopeful about a very lucrative card. I guess it also depend if theyíre launching one or multiple cards. If Chase launch an AC equivalent of the UA Club Visa Infinite card, then that might be interesting. However, Chase probably doesnít want to risk its CSR card, which I have.

US credit cards tend to be better than Canadian credit cards. I would go with whichever is the better card.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All other things equal, I would take a US version over a Canadian version.

But I need a black card, so if the Chase portfolio is one mid-tier card, it's a non-starter for me. If they have a black version, I will likely switch.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 12:22 pm

Does this even make sense given the exchange rate difference? Why would I earn 1 Aeroplan point for 1 USD, when I could instead earn 1:1 in CAD?
Old Dec 14, 20, 1:13 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K, WS Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor/Hilton/Radisson/NH Gold
Originally Posted by Points Poppa View Post
Does this even make sense given the exchange rate difference? Why would I earn 1 Aeroplan point for 1 USD, when I could instead earn 1:1 in CAD?
For someone living in the US, they may not want the hassle and expense of foreign exchange differences. US residents may also have problems obtaining a Canadian credit card.
Old Dec 14, 20, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adam Smith View Post
For someone living in the US, they may not want the hassle and expense of foreign exchange differences. US residents may also have problems obtaining a Canadian credit card.
Let's keep it simple and say it's "me". I can get cards on both sides of the border. I can transfer money fairly easily, but US is still more convenient.

Your assumption is that it's going to be 2 points per CAD on the Canadian version and 2 points per USD on the US version.

2/CAD is relatively competitive in Canada.
2/USD is not competitive in the US.

Using the TD IP as an example, which is:
2/CAD on AC purchases
1.5/CAD on gas, groceries, travel, dining
1.25/CAD on everything else

If the Chase card has the same categories, I'd expect the numbers to be more like 3/USD, 2/USD, 1/USD. Or something like that. And in that case, I'd probably use it for AC purchases and nothing else.

I don't think comparing the US to CA Aeroplan cards makes much sense though. When we get details, I'm much more interested in how it compares to the rest of the US market.
Adam Smith and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 1:49 pm

Programs: AC 25K, BA Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Blocked by 5/24. Even if it was the most competitive card ever, can't get it.

UR transfer to AP is big news though. UA MP has gone downhill which has really hurt the value of UR points for me, and with AP now having no surcharges it's just a much better program for partner redemptions.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 2:13 pm

I just can't see a situation where I would be better off (from an ROI perspective) transferring UR to AP than to another Chase partner, i.e. Hyatt. Maybe if you're flying LH with an infant-in-arms....

Heck if you were offering me UR for AP points at 1:1, I'm a buyer all day long.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 3:24 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
I still need a USD denominated card for Canadians. I can't get Chase to give me one (my Canada SIN # matches a SSN of someone who is deceased and neither AMEX nor Chase can deal with it). Once COVID subsides I'll no doubt be all over the US again earning "TD Rewards" and "RBC Rewards" which are not as useful by a long shot.
Captain Canuck likes this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 6:55 pm

Thatís because youíre most likely a Canadian and have no US income. So itís irrelevant for you.

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
All other things equal, I would take a US version over a Canadian version.

But I need a black card, so if the Chase portfolio is one mid-tier card, it's a non-starter for me. If they have a black version, I will likely switch.
Same with me. Iím only interested in a black card.

Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
Blocked by 5/24. Even if it was the most competitive card ever, can't get it.

UR transfer to AP is big news though. UA MP has gone downhill which has really hurt the value of UR points for me, and with AP now having no surcharges it's just a much better program for partner redemptions.
Same here. Iíll be under 5/24 by the time Chase and AC launch the new card(s).

Originally Posted by atsak View Post
I still need a USD denominated card for Canadians. I can't get Chase to give me one (my Canada SIN # matches a SSN of someone who is deceased and neither AMEX nor Chase can deal with it). Once COVID subsides I'll no doubt be all over the US again earning "TD Rewards" and "RBC Rewards" which are not as useful by a long shot.
I think what youíre trying to do is illegal.
LETTERBOY and canadiancow like this.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 14, 20 at 8:09 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user
Old Dec 14, 20, 7:21 pm

This is not unprecedented. Example: the US AMEX Bonvoy card earns 2 points per 1 USD spend for base spend, while the Canadian version earns the same amount of points but for 1 CAD spend.

Same for the Bank of America in the US versus MBNA in Canada for the Alaska Airlines card: 1 mile earned per local dollar
Old Dec 14, 20, 8:33 pm

Programs: AC50K, WS Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I think what youíre trying to do is illegal.
Got to give a round of applause to the bloggers openly encouraging this type of behavior when most people don't have a clue on what they are doing....
LETTERBOY and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 14, 20, 9:28 pm
YUL

Programs: SPG Gold / IHG Spire / Emerald Executive Elite
Originally Posted by atsak View Post
I can't get Chase to give me one (my Canada SIN # matches a SSN of someone who is deceased and neither AMEX nor Chase can deal with it).
Funny you mentionned that.

Without realizing the legal consequences, I did exactly that about 15 years ago when I applied for the Chase OnePass Continental Visa.

Guess what, I pretty fast got a call to my Montreal phone number - from the Chase fraud department. So I explained them the situation and they said OK! Wow I got accepted for the card!

I now have their Freedom, Bonvoy, Amazon and United. (I now also have an account at Chase bank, and they have my passport on file)
Captain Canuck and atsak like this.

Last edited by YUL; Dec 14, 20 at 9:36 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: